Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

My kindle touch won't turn on

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2013 11:35:43 BDT
Sara Hope says:
My kindle touch won't turn on.

I tried charging it for 24hrs and the charging light remained orange and now it's just showing the kindle screen with the picture of the person sitting under the tree reading.

Help gratefully recieved :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 11:47:53 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Have you tried holding the Power button in for no less than 20 seconds and releasing it?

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 11:51:17 BDT
Sara Hope says:
Yeah, tried holding it in for ages and still no joy

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 12:18:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2013 13:09:48 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Then it's worth plugging it into your Computer to see if that will wake it up and if that falls to contact Customer Services.

Edited to correct Swype errors. I must learn to read what I type before I post.

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 12:20:23 BDT
Sara Hope says:
Didn't think of trying that! Thanks I'll give it a go :)

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 12:48:55 BDT
FSamuel says:
For the last few days, my daughter's Touch has been very slow to respond and froze or restarted on its own many times. I tried the restart, cleaned her screen , no joy. I had to do a factory reset, registered the Kindle back to her email as every thing was erased, then the problem was solved. Actually , she was quite happy that all her books went into the cloud, as she thought she had too many on the actual device and she went to the cloud to get books she wanted. She could never do this when she used to share my account because I locked the cloud so the children could not access my books. But since then, they each have their own account, cost me a little bit more at the beginning, but they can access the cloud.
So, maybe a total reset that will deregister your Kindle is what you need to do.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 13:30:20 BDT
Sounds like it was indexing, Frenchie. It needs to be left well alone when it decides to do a major index.

Then again, sometimes it's nice to start again from the beginning.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 13:50:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2013 13:51:37 BDT
FSamuel says:
Oh, I thought it was indexing only when there is an update? because mine has decided to do the same too now. It is very slow and restart. I have about 250 on the device itself. Ok, I will leave it alone and read on the spare one (I knew it would come handy).
Thanks, I know My.

edited typos.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 13:58:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2013 13:59:31 BDT
Doing a random search e.g. kshdksg will tell you if it's indexing.
I think it's about every six months it will do a complete reindex.

Posted on 9 Oct 2013 23:54:45 BDT
my kindle won't turn on - the orange light comes on when charging and when I slide to wake the green light appears for a few seconds, then it goes out again and the kindle screen stays on- it's fully charged and I have tried plugging it in to my laptop, tried sliding and holding for 20 seconds and still nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2013 08:05:32 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Then it's time to contact Customer Services. Click on Help at the top of this page, then the Contact Us button. If you give them your telephone number they'll phone you within a minute.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2013 16:29:04 GMT
Flower says:
Iris says:
Have just read your advice above and thought for a moment that all was not lost with my kindle. I have just spoken to customer services expecting some help but their only suggestion was for me to purchase a new one at a discounted price. Not the help I was expecting so for anyone else getting in touch with them - be aware that as of yet there is no repair service for Kindle it is all about replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013 08:25:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2013 08:26:18 GMT
Damaskcat says:
That's right - Amazon don't provide a repair service but if you use Google - or even search this forum you will find details of companies who do repair them. Repairs may cost more than buying a new Kindle at a discount - which is why Amazon don't offer repairs.

Posted on 6 Jan 2014 07:31:04 GMT
My kindle won't turn on, I left it charging an entire day yesterday, and all I get is a black screen. HELP! It's only 7 months old.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:21:53 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Contact Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:31:32 GMT
I'm now plugging it to my laptop and it appears to be charging (when I push to start button, I see a battery), but very slowly. Cross my fingers.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:36:06 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Much quicker to charge from the mains if you can as the laptop may not provide enough power to charge it.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:48:34 GMT
But that's the whole problem. I left it charging from the mains for an entire day and all I got was a black screen. My laptop is connected to the mains.
Problem solved as the kindle appears to be functioning again!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:52:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2014 08:52:43 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Often plugging it into a computer will sort it out - so that is what has done it. USB ports on laptops are often not powered - hence my comment. Anyway if you've got it sorted that is all that matters.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 08:55:36 GMT
Thanks very much for your advice : )

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 22:38:14 GMT
My kindle won't switch on at all. I have tried holding down the on button for more than 20 seconds with no joy. I have plugged it into my laptop over night and still no joy. The screen looks whiter than usual but maybe that's just me !! I have had it for nearly 2 years now so it is time to buy a new one?
Any help would be appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2014 22:53:49 GMT
DaveyH says:
If you've tried all the usual remedies - and it sounds as though you have - then maybe it is time to get a new one. Talking to customer services won't hurt, they may offer you money off another Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 08:08:55 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Plugging it into a laptop which is then in sleep mode probably won't make any difference to it. You really need to plug it into a computer while it is in use I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 08:19:46 GMT
ChrisJ says:
Correct! Although many laptops now have three different types of USB port:
- A USB 2.0 port that is only for use when the laptop is on.
- A USB 2.0 port that provides power whether the laptop is on or not.
- A USB 3.0 port that is only of use when the laptop is on.

The middle type (IF you have one on your laptop) can be used at any time. The others need to have the laptop on and doing things, otherwise the ports receive no power to charge other devices.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 08:35:46 GMT
Damaskcat says:
I found out the hard way that my desk top operates a similar system and the USB port I was using to charge my MP3 player wouldn't work when the computer is in sleep mode! I always think it is safer to assume that none of them are powered when the computer is not in use.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
364 6 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
559 6 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
703 6 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  16 Aug 2013
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers