Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Download & Transfer Via USB

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2013 12:08:03 GMT
I've never actually made use of this facility, preferring to download book purchases direct to the Kindles via wifi, so not sure how versatile it is.

I've just taken a look in Manage Your Kindle and when I looked at the Actions drop down alongside a book, one of the actions is 'Download and Transfer Via USB. When I click on that, I'm given another drop down box which asks 'Which Kindle will you transfer this to' and this lists all my Kindle devices but all my computers and tablets are greyed out.

This raises two questions ...

1.) I have to nominate a Kindle that I will be transferring the book to. Does this mean I cannot then transfer it to any other of my Kindles from the computer and if this is the case, would I have to download the book to my PC for each Kindle in turn?

2.) Can I not transfer a book downloaded in this way to my other devices (PCs and Android tablets) that have the Kindle for *** reader installed?

I was hoping that a single download to my PC for each book might serve as a useful backup of my entire Cloud just in case Amazon ever did go under, but now I'm uncertain if this would work.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 12:15:47 GMT
Damaskcat says:
1 - yes you're right - you have to do that every time for every Kindle

2 - if the option isn't there then no you can'.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 12:19:30 GMT
Denis Powell says:
1) Yes, as each download is keyed to work only on one device. It's how Amazon controls the number of active downloads you can have at any one time. Some books are unlimited, most allow 6 copies but some restrict you to just 2.

2) You can only use "Download and Transfer......" for the devices listed.

You could download one copy of each book to a computer/hard drive/USB Drive etc., and if Amazon does disappear then remove the DRM so that the books could be read on any device, but it's not something I'm going to worry about.

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 12:46:20 GMT
Many thanks to Damaskat and Denis for the clarification. I thought it all looked too easy to be true LOL. I thought it probably would be a DRM constraint but as you say Denis, if Amazon ever did go under then there is the DRM removal route.

If I ever get a really boring day I may just download each book to my PC but it's going to take some time as I now have well over 1,000 :o(

Cheers both.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 14:17:51 GMT
Denis Powell says:
David, I think we'll get some warning before Amazon "closes" and I have a feeling the Archive might be maintained for a while even then. Whether it would cope with everyone trying to download at the same time is another matter.

The same risk applies to any online seller unfortunately as most of them rely on one form of DRM or another. Then again, all of my paper books could be lost in a fire or to insect activity. I'm still not going to worry over it. There'll always be new books I'll want to read anyway.

Posted on 22 Jan 2013 03:24:13 GMT
Egenti says:
I have a question please.
I have been using 'Kindle for PC' for about a couple years but now I would like motor-flexibility with my pretty impressive e-library collection. So I've been debating back and forth whether to invest in an e-book reader or a Kindle; or simply continue with my less convenient but dependable 'Kindle for PC'. However a remark I saw on this feed worries me and I will be grateful for clarity from current Kindle users. So my question is:
Does the £69 Kindle accept transfer/upload of e-books of various formats (epub, mobi & PDF) from a PC, via a USB cable? Or does it only accept books bought and downloaded straight from the Amazon website?

I have some much-loved favourite books I have downloaded from free e-book websites ages and ages ago, so it will be extremely disappointing if I am not allowed to transfer them onto a Kindle via USB cable for easier transportation. Thoughts, anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013 07:12:45 GMT
Suze says:
A kindle won't accept ePub unless you remove the DRM which is illegal. It will accept mobi because this is Amazons format and will also accept PDF.

Posted on 23 Jan 2013 21:27:11 GMT
How do i download from my pc to a cooler ereader

Posted on 23 Jan 2013 21:27:15 GMT

Posted on 23 Jan 2013 21:27:17 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 21:33:21 GMT
Suze says:
If you mean put the books from your kindle for pc onto a kindle you do it through the kindle itself by turning on the wifi and accessing either cloud or archives depending which kindle you have. You can't do a direct transfer from your pc to your kindle as the books won't open.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 02:01:12 GMT
Egenti says:
So even if I have converted book files from epub to mobi on my PC, I still won't be able to transfer them via USB from my PC to my Kindle reader because if I do they won't open?
That is very restrictive, isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 02:04:52 GMT
Egenti says:
Hi, I asked a similar question myself a few days ago and I think that if you have a regular ereader (not necessarily a Kindle) from what I have been told it is a simple matter of connecting you ereader to your PC with a USB cable, and when your PC recognizes your ereader as a storage file, causing its icon to appear on your monitor, then you can simply drag and drop your book files onto your ereader.
If you have a Kindle ereader you'll have to make sure your book files are in mobi format first before transfering them to your Kindle either via USB or by emailing them to your Kindle account (one is automatically set up for you after buying a Kindle). Kindle doesn't hand;e othe rbook formats well lik epubs and PDFs. I hope this helps. I am still learning myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 02:09:42 GMT
Egenti says:
This shows just how little I know about the world of digital reading, I had no idea what DRM stood for until this very morning when someone spelled it out in full on an earlier post-back to me. I already know about using a software to convert my epubs to mobis as I've got lots of free books from that website Project Gutensberg (I'm pretty sure I have mangled up that name)

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 02:22:11 GMT
Foxy says:
Egenti. If you have managed to convert your ePub books into mobi format using Calibre as I suggested to you on another thread, then your kindle will accept them. You can plug your kindle into the computer, Calibre will recognise it after a few seconds and give you the option of highlighting books in your library and sending them to your device. DRM won't enter into the equation here as the books you have, seem to be DRM free from Gutenburg. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 06:50:26 GMT
Suze says:
Yes, you probably can. I'm talking about the books purchased from Amazon and they don't do ePub.
As far as I know there are only Amazon who code downloads to a device. Amazon are restrictive but I think it's to stop people downloading the books to their pc and letting friends 'borrow' them. Can't blame them really.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 06:52:29 GMT
Suze says:
I think Egenti can do that as well Silverfox. I read the post wrong and thought Egenti meant Amazon books downloaded to kindle for pc, not realising they were ePub books.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 15:04:51 GMT
Egenti says:
Thank you Silverfox. I downloaded Calibre yesterday onto my PC. I'll give things a go tonight after work. It should work out okay.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 15:08:48 GMT
Egenti says:
And Suze you're right. I do wish Amazon wasn't so restrictive with how customers choose to download or transfer e-books purchased from their website, but like you said they have got to be careful how they run their business. It's so easy to transfer digital files to friends and stuff these days.

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 16:09:09 GMT
Foxy says:
Let us know how you get along. If you run into a problem then just post here. Someone will help you. I will too :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 23:48:39 GMT
Egenti says:
Will most certainly do Silverfox, thanks ever so much.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
326 4 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
548 25 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  15 Jan 2013
Latest post:  24 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions