Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Frozen on screensaver

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2010 13:31:09 GMT
Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, 6" Display - with New E Ink (Pearl) Technology

Went to use my kindle this morning and it seems stuck on a feedback screensaver. It looks on even though I've turned it off and on, there is a small blur of activity behind the screensaver but ostensibly it seems broken. I can't reset it or enter my password, looks like the e-ink has gone haywire, anyone else had that problem?

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 13:38:36 GMT
willie wit says:
Have you tried plugging into your pc then reset ?

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 13:39:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2010 13:39:28 GMT
Joe says:
Slide the on/off switch to the right and hold it for about 30 seconds. DO NOT let go if the screen blanks after 5 or 6 seconds.
That should cause a complete reboot.

If that doesn't work, its broken, send it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 13:41:56 GMT
Haven't plugged it in to reset yet but holding for 15+ seconds for a reset doesn't work. You can see activity in the background when it switches on but the screensaver obscures it so I suspect it's broken. So I've tried all reset methods except when on charge so will give that a go and then I suppose a replacement may be required. Thanks for your help anyway though :)

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 13:50:08 GMT
Joe says:
"holding for 15+ seconds for a reset doesn't work"

How long is the '+' ? I believe a reset is 25 seconds, though the manual says 15 I'm sure when I did it it was longer than that.

Though i wouldn't have thought that plugging it in to a PC would help I suppose if it is doing something in the background, a "wake up" call on the USB port might kick it into a state whereby it can be reset.

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 14:40:43 GMT
Damaskcat says:
It usually takes at least half a minute of holding the power switch to make it restart. Then you need to go away and leave it to sort itself out - and plug it into the mains as well.

You may notice the time is not correct after this or your collections are in the wrong order - in which case turning on wi-fi usually sorts it out.

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 15:56:36 GMT
Martin Swain says:
Have you charged it ?

Posted on 23 Nov 2010 15:57:37 GMT
Highwayman says:
The small blur of activity is a bit suspicious. I think you might need to call customer services.

Posted on 16 Mar 2011 19:08:07 GMT
I had a similar problem today. My kindle charge was down to 1/3 so before I went to work, I put it on to charge (via the mains), several hours later when I came home for lunch I was suprised to see the charging light was still orange. I tried to turn it on (it was in sleep mode), but nothing happened. Tried again, no still stuck on the screensaver (thank goodness it wasn't Emily!)

Tried the hold the button to the right etc, still nothing happened - the green light came on briefly, but that was it - still just the same screensaver. Unplugged it tried again, still nothing. Finished my lunch, tried again, still nothing. Finally after most of my lunch break was up, it rebooted! Phew, all is well! I can only conclude that I had a loose connection in the lead somewhere, and managed to discharge rather than charge the kindle. Strangely though, every time I opened a collection, instead of it moving to top of page one of the home page, it moved to the bottom of page 2 (I have 3 pages)!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2011 15:09:44 BDT
Jana B. says:
same for me...all collections went to the the bottom, it couldn't remember the place where I stopped reading my last book. Now it got frozen for the second time since I have it and no matter what I am trying... even holding for a minute or so, it just won't reboot!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2011 15:16:57 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Then contact customer services

Posted on 30 Sep 2011 20:08:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2011 20:09:30 BDT
fan says:
Hold the back page button down and the slide switch across until it reboots. PG

Posted on 30 Sep 2011 23:44:56 BDT
CL444 says:
I keep having that problem too. Obviously its a common one. I just mess with taking it on and off charge until it reboots.

Posted on 25 Oct 2011 13:19:35 BDT
I have the same problem but my Kindle doesn't even reboot (no matter how long I keep holding the slide switch). Any idea of what I could do?

Posted on 25 Oct 2011 13:24:13 BDT
few words says:
Perhaps this supports the switch it off rather than leave in sleep mode position ( I dident want to use the word argument )

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2011 13:49:58 BDT
Mine did that and it had to be replaced - no resetting or connecting to the PC would work. Call Amazon though and they'll go through your options, they even apologised me to me when the call disconnected - something which was clearly my fault!

Posted on 25 Oct 2011 17:40:13 BDT
Daphne says:
some people have had some success with pressing alt and lots of other buttons, alt+ del possibly.

also try this. I was trying to free up a sticky switch, so moved it to and fro lots of times very quickly, and it went into a reboot that I haven't seen before. with something like "collecting information, reboot will start soon" written like typing on the screen.
I thought I'd broken it, but it did restart, with nothing on the screen, no collections, no books, just- archived items(0)
but eventually it suddenly all came back, nothing was lost (including books not from amazon)

also make sure it's charged, it may have lost all it's charge suddenly.

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 21:21:53 GMT
Ticked Off says:
For the second time in under a year I've come out of a charge with the Kindle frozen on the screensaver. None of the suggestions above have worked. Last time, I was forced to reset to factory settings and - given the clunky method of sorting books into collections - had to spend 4 days getting 932 books back into place. I DO NOT want to go through that experience again if I can help it!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 08:18:26 GMT
Damaskcat says:
You would not be able to do a factory reset if you can't get off the screensaver as you need access to the settings pages before you can do a factory reset. You need to hold the power button to the right for 20 seconds and then leave the Kindle to sort itself out.

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 10:38:28 GMT
D. Cameron says:
i have the same problem - just spoken to customer service (which is the best customer service i have ever used) there may be a problem with the cover i use! it's an early leather model that they find can cause problems. they have refunded the cost of the cover (which i didn't even ask for) and hopefully this will work. if not they will send me a new kindle. Top class service - but if it is indeed the fault, it's a strange one! (i ahve already tried the methods suggested here, which only work temporarily.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 11:15:55 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Ticked Off, it's possible to create Collections in Kindle for PC (plus it's much easier and quicker to do so) and then to copy those to any new Kindle if needed, once the books have been downloaded. Creating Collections on the Kindle isn't the only option open to you.

Given that everything "fails" eventually, and that you may want to buy a new model at some time perhaps you might consider a different form of cataloguing.

My new Kindle doesn't have the capacity to hold all my eBooks, nor do I need it to. For convenience it's useful to have, say, the next 10 books I'm going to read, but it's not essential for it to hold all of them.

Calibre is a very good programme for cataloguing ebooks, and creating spreadsheets. Personally I prefer a spreadsheet as it's a once only creation. It doesn't have to be redone if I buy a new device, and it's viewable on my Laptop and Android, plus it's possible to copy, say, the Title and Author columns to a Word Document and email that to both my Kindles so that they each have an up-to-date list of all my books. Getting a new Kindle wasn't a problem for me at all, but I have very few collections on mine, and the only one used on a regular basis is the one that lists my bus timetables.

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 11:56:25 GMT
If it really can't be solved then Amazon will replace as mentioned above. Just expect to part comapny with £40 if it's over a year old, which I haven't done (same screen saver problem as you). £89 for a new one makes more sense, but I might still be a bit too bitter to give Amazon any cash right now.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 12:02:16 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Consumer purchases are really not something to feel bitter about - plenty more serious issues in life. Bitterness only harms the person who feels bitter anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 14:19:13 GMT
bluecat says:
I have a funny feeling that you may feel the loss of your kindle more than Amazon will feel the loss of £40...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 14:21:40 GMT
nagsey says:
Hi when this happened to me amazon replaced my kindle
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
348 17 days ago
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
550 26 days ago
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  23 Nov 2010
Latest post:  16 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers