Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

kindle not working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Aug 2012, 21:33:43 BST
suesmith says:
My Kindle is frozen - top half of the screen is stuck on Jane Austen screen saver, bottom half still works! Kindle is 15 months old and Amazon tells me that they can't repair it so bad luck, I can have a bit of discount off a new one! I have about a dozen unread books on it which presumably will be lost if I get a new one. They (Amazon) has not even offered to reload those for me. Not very good really - I am not happy! Has anyone else had this problem - have tried all the trouble shooting but no luck.

Posted on 14 Aug 2012, 21:37:23 BST
Kelp Bed says:
So You did the restart?
If not, hold the on button in the on position for about 20 seconds. Then let it restart itself..( a few minutes)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012, 21:47:31 BST
Denis Powell says:
If a restart hasn't cured it then it would appear that the Kindle has failed but you don't lose any of your Amazon books as they can all be downloaded afresh from the Manage Your Kindle page of your Account, but you have to do that yourself.

Do you really need all of them on the device anyway? I tend to delete mine when I finish reading them as it's simple enough to re-download them if I need to.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012, 23:09:16 BST
suesmith says:
I've tried the re-start but no luck. Thanks for the info about downloading my books. I've got quite a few I haven't read yet and one I am half way through. Not worried about the ones I've read.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012, 19:46:53 BST
Cassie says:
Hi, Sue - yes my Kindle stopped working today. Worked fine last night when I turned it off but just fine black lines today. Got it in June 2011, so is a similar age. Hard reset won't work. Apparently I dropped it, which I didn't. Amazon will offer me 20% off a new Kindle (no thanks, not pouring good money after bad if your product is going to self-destruct. Will go back to good old fashioned paper). I am so disappointed as I loved my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012, 20:42:22 BST
Dan says:
Well my kindle stopped working after 8 months

Amazon were brill.

Next day delivery of a new kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012, 21:13:18 BST
K says:
If dropping it is all it takes mine should be buggered by now too

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012, 21:22:33 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 31 Jul 2013, 12:10:42 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012, 21:53:00 BST
Angel says:
Mine too. But son knocked hubby's with his foot and it packed up next day. I can only think that it depends exactly where it takes the shock.

Posted on 4 Sep 2012, 23:04:58 BST
pianyb says:
My first kindle froze after 3 months, a replacement arrived the next day which was great.
However, when my second kindle does the same after 16 months, Amazon really couldn't care less. Yes I can have a new kindle with 20% discount because it is a "rare occurance". If it is such a rare occurance, why offer me a discount, and why are there so many You Tube posts relating to failed Kindles????
Very very disppointed with Amazon over this.....

Posted on 13 Sep 2012, 20:38:46 BST
Gatsby says:
this has just happened to my much loved (and never dropped!) Kindle...its also out of warranty, so they have offered me the 20% discount, but on the new most basic kindle, which I assume will be too small to fit into my lovely leather case with light and the case I bought for taking the kindle on holiday. Am gutted. Never expected the device to kick the bucket so soon (18 months after purchase). Feel I will have to get another one (I used mine daily), but reluctant to go spending yet more money on it, if there is a chance of it breaking again in 15 months' time.

Especially worried now I have seen that other people have experienced this "rare" occurrence.

Posted on 19 Oct 2012, 00:35:24 BST
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2012, 00:37:01 BST
Ptd says:
Isn't that strange? My kindle has also just frozen into quarters and is unreadable - again about the same age - I got one in September last year which stopped working three months later. Replaced extremely easily and quickly by Amazon. Sounds like that won't happen this time. Not impressed - built in obsolescence? Just in time to coincide with their new product being launched. I would have thought it would be in their interests to provide another replacement - where else will I download books bought from Amazon to? Back to books I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012, 07:26:34 BST
Suze says:
Gatsby if you do decide to get another one I can recommend the Touch which is a much better build than the keyboard. Also, take you the extended warranty then you are covered for 3 years.

Posted on 3 Nov 2012, 16:31:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Nov 2012, 16:32:54 GMT
E. Tyas says:
I don't think this is a rare occurrence at all. I too have just been offered a small discount if I buy a new one after mine inexplicably stopped responding yesterday. I would, however, have to pay postage which means it will be very little saving seeing as I can buy a new one postage free for £69. Also, obviously the case in which I kept the old one very well protected, will not fit, so more expense. I already have an ipad so can read my books on that having just downloaded the app, but I wont be buying any more because there is no way I will be carrying around an ipad like I did the kindle. If anyone is considering buying a Kindle Fire, read these comments and then decide whether you can afford that much money every few months. Apple might be expensive but generally lasts longer if you look after it.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012, 00:30:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2012, 00:32:02 GMT
hic says:
My kindle wont charge, light comes on, but wont take charge. After 3 attempts I took cover off to find Brown like burn marks on the back of my kindle..Whats has happened...no marks on kindle cover inside or out.. anyone know..

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012, 03:37:14 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
Wait till daylight hours.

I am sure one of the forum users (with more experience than me) will get back to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012, 08:14:22 GMT
Daphne says:
Which model do you have?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012, 08:19:05 GMT
Damaskcat says:
If your Kindle has been in a case that covered the back of it these may be marks from the dye in the case. Some cases come with a piece of film to stick on the back of the Kindle so that this doesn't happen - you can then just peel off the film when you take the Kindle out of its case.

It's almost certainly nothing to so with the Kindle not charging. Try another lead and/or try a restart that should fix your charging problem.

Posted on 12 Dec 2012, 18:01:42 GMT
My Kindle has now stopped working - no lights etc. I fear the worst, however, as I have an iPad could I download Kindle for iPad and access my books that way?

Posted on 12 Dec 2012, 18:16:05 GMT
oldcelt says:
Yes.
Have you tried all the reset suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2012, 18:20:47 GMT
K says:
Does it smell like burning? Or have any kind of chemically tang to it? If not, it's probably just dye transfer from the case or muck. Try wiping it off.

If it smells like it's burnt or has an acrid chemical odor, contact Customer Services. The battery is probably malfunctioning

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2012, 18:22:17 GMT
Thanks oldcelt. Have tried resetting by holding button to right for twenty seconds, also tried different lead and plug. Picture of tree remains but appears not to charge. No orange or green light when plugged in. Unless there is anything else will revert to using Kindle on iPad and not bother buying a new Kindle although I did love it whilst it lived.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012, 11:00:38 GMT
I know the feeling. Mine has just died in exactly the same way for no reason. Will read my books on my laptop and my husband will have to go back to having light on in bed while I read paper books which do not do this to us.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013, 21:09:30 GMT
Unfortunately, the same problem as you have, only with me right quarter working left 3 quarters no more. Amazon said I dropped which I didn't of course and I told them that even that was the case it is protected by a leather case and a silicone one... they can't do nothing for me! Well fu amazon

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013, 21:26:34 GMT
So you did drop it then.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
422 12 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
611 7 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
312 2 Mar 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
144 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
195 12 Jan 2017
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
101 14 Jan 2017
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
138 1 day ago
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
707 18 Feb 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  14 Aug 2012
Latest post:  25 Nov 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers