Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Loving the easy refund option!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 143 posts in this discussion
Posted on 2 Jan 2012 21:35:13 GMT
Thanks daisyduck1976.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:52:44 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 6 Oct 2012 20:44:10 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:54:07 BDT
=) says:
stop abusing it!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:55:22 BDT
Damaskcat says:
This thread is 8 months old :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:55:41 BDT
S. Reason says:
Stop being a c o c k.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:56:27 BDT
=) says:
youre a tea leaf

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 16:57:21 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Looks like we may have someone trying to cause trouble . . .

Posted on 6 Oct 2012 17:31:53 BDT
Lee says:
Amazon ban people for returning too many items so just be aware of that.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 17:38:46 BDT
S. Reason says:
Indeed. Very sad isn't it.

Posted on 6 Oct 2012 20:39:23 BDT
Berzelius says:
If you find the Kindle sample too small it's always worth while looking up the book on the main Amazon site and using the Look Inside feature if it's available. Amazon are pretty generous here - often dozens of pages, more that enough to give you an idea. I'm not sure how many books have this feature.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2012 20:42:48 BDT
Suze says:
Most have the look inside feature I think. Last week I wanted to look inside a paperback and was really surprised when I couldn't.

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 08:33:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 08:41:29 GMT
Naomi says:
Super-late reply, but I just found this thread on Google and couldn't resist commenting!

I think the problem is that the returns policy isn't clear enough. Some people here are really getting on their high horse and saying that the only possible reason to return a book is if you accidentally clicked buy, and that's what it's really intended for. But that's just not true, there are a whole list of reasons that you can select for your return, including 'quality issues'. You could argue that that's meant to apply to poor formatting only, but there's another option for 'defective content', so I assume that you are well within your rights to return a book if you simply didn't enjoy it much in the end and the quality didn't live up to what you hoped for

Personally I have returned a few books in the past simply because I didn't ultimately enjoy them and they didn't live up to my expectations from the free sample, but all of the talk lately about 'serial returners' having their accounts frozen has scared me off any returns now. And I should add that I've only returned something like 6 or 7 books total compared to the many that I have brought and kept, but still it seems very misleading for amazon to have such a free returns system, and then penalise those that might read a lot of books and unwittingly return too high a number.

I'm not talking about those that treat the system as a library and return everything obviously, but I do think there should at least be an early warning system in place to make people aware that returning a lot of books is frowned upon, someone that reads a lot and is always trying out new authors could easily return a high number of books over the course of a year with the belief that they were well within their rights. Amazon gave me the impression that it was perfectly fine to return your ebooks for whatever reason, but obviously you do get penalised for it if it happens too often and that should be made clearer IMO

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 08:36:25 GMT
Naomi says:
It's not just there for buying by mistake, there's a huge list of possible reasons to choose from when you're returning a book, including 'other'. It's not as simple as people reading a book and then returning it with the fraudulent claim that they accidentally purchased it, returns for quality issues are also absolutely an option

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 08:49:35 GMT
CBRetriever says:
there are two people who say they return books over and over on amazon.com

1. one returns books they like and buys the hard copies and claims to have done so for 75 books
2. the other claims to have "approximated my Kindle ebook return rate to be 60% of purchases for 2013 and 40% of purchases for 2012"

Myself, I've mostly returned for formatting:

look inside showed a right justified margin and the book arrived w/o it and I can't read books like that
tables/charts unreadable and they didn't show in the sample so there was no way of telling

I could easily be a serial returner as it doesn't take me long to go through a book, but my inate honesty prevents that

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 09:09:52 GMT
I think quality issues and defective can be different things. Quality issues could be poor formatting/ spelling errors whereas defective could mean the pages are in the wrong order/it's missing a chapter etc. I guess this happens less in ebooks, but would in theory be possible.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 09:14:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 09:18:12 GMT
CBRetriever says:
oh, it's quite possible - the first version of the Complete Mark Twain that I bought, was missing the ending of Huckleberry Finn (about three chapters)

ETA: to me formatting and spelling errors fall under the defective range in that the book has a defect

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 09:16:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 09:16:21 GMT
Naomi says:
It's just not very clear though, people could interpret 'quality' differently and assume that it was referring to the writing not being up to the standard expected

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 10:16:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 10:18:36 GMT
I agree that it's not clear and open to interpretation, I am sure AZ realise this and will have a system that flags up excessive returns, and may even send out emails warning people if they're near their limit. Then again, according to a work colleague of mine, his wife returns alot of her books after reading them in a week so who knows...

CBR : See i would say Quality is spelling errors etc as it may spoil your enjoyment, but you could still read it, whereas your Mark Twain collection was defective as it didn't include the whole product therefor was 'faulty' as opposed to just bad quality. I'm not talking about just not enjoying the book as quality, as that is personal taste as well, some people don't like the writing style of J K Rowling, but I absolutely love her books.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 11:17:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 11:28:51 GMT
Naomi says:
Apparently they don't send out warning emails as people on google links I followed were saying that they were only aware of there being a problem when amazon send them an email saying that they wouldn't be able to use their account any more because of their number of returns. I'm not saying that the majority of them didn't most likely deserve that...It just seems lacking for amazon to present such a free returns policy, with a long list of possible reasons to return, and then clamp down so heavily without any warning when people use it once too often

People are saying here that you should never return books simply for not enjoying them, but I had no idea that I was doing anything wrong in returning the 7 or 8 books that I didn't consider money well-spend. I simply clicked 'quality' as my reason for returning and got a no-quipple refund. And someone on a goggle link was saying that she had returned up to 40% of her purchases in a year, only to be locked out of her account without warning. Now yes while you could certainly argue that that's excessive and taking advantage of the system, she argued that she had had no idea that she was doing anything wrong in returning so many books because she thought it was acceptable under amazon's policy to return as many books as you liked if you didn't enjoy them enough, so all I'm saying is that maybe amazon could shine a little more light on their policy and how they expect consumers to use it. Perhaps bringing in a policy not to refund if someone has already read the entice book would cut a lot of refunds down?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 11:41:50 GMT
CBRetriever says:
actually, for people with excessive returns, the first sign is no option to return books using the Actions button - that's what they're doing now and you can still return them, but you have to go through Customer Service to do so

I'm sure there's some sort of algorithm (sp?) that determines what the trigger point is books returned over X amount of time with X retained

7 or 8 books isn't excessive unless it's with a month or two

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 11:52:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 11:55:07 GMT
@ Naomi

I understand what you're saying, and agreeing, they should make it clear and i think, send out a warning email.

That person saying she returned 40% of her books as she didn't enjoy them needs to choose better books lol :) I would say I don't enjoy less than 10% of books, and mostly, they are my book club books, which differ to my usual genres.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 11:54:48 GMT
Oh, do they remove the return button? That's a start!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 12:05:55 GMT
CBRetriever says:
it's just not an option under the Actions button even in the 7 day window where you can return a book (it's also not an option for free books, so don't panic if you don't see it)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2013 12:46:36 GMT
That's interesting, thanks for letting me know :) Though I am sure i won't get into that situation, as it's rare i return a book.

Posted on 27 Nov 2013 13:18:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2013 13:18:49 GMT
Amazon need to do nothing. People need to appreciate something called common sense exists. Amazon's descriptions are broad and vague enough to cater for all eventualities. Getting your account suspended/cancelled is purely a voluntary exercise.
Making something fairly proof from fools is easy. Making it proof from total fools is impossible.

I believe the Germany site suspended the accounts of serial clothes returners for not understanding common sense.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
364 7 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
559 6 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
67 24 Aug 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
703 6 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  2 Jan 2012
Latest post:  7 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers