Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Italian cult cinema general debate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 203 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Jul 2012 11:51:59 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Yesterday watched A Bullet For The General [1966] [DVD], and was pleasantly surprised - there's so much more than just plain (spaghetti) western! Good and bad, different cultures, all mixed & confused, could go on...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012 14:29:07 BDT
Sorry you didn't enjoy "The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh" so much, I think on first viewings it tends to disappoint a bit because it paces so well and ties up ten minutes from the end but then keeps going with several more twists than needed, in all fairness I thought it was a stylish and brilliant film which works on many levels but it did over-egg the twists.

I think "Anthropophagus" and "Absurd" are both great but in different ways, the former has more atmosphere and once I realised the killers motive I found myself sympathising with him on some level in spite of his crimes, both films have this great way ending right on a gruesome moment that leaves you grinning ages afterward.

As to justifying your tastes you could go down the psychological route of people always having been drawn to sex and violence as the two taboo's society is all too fixated on but won't openly accept or simply explain the giallo is a genre where beautiful women are cast to attract sales but not as the only selling point, as the characters were largely women the victims of course had to be too, after all the films wouldn't have worked if some guy suddenly got thrown into the plot just to be picked off for the sake of political correctness, the films show visual flair, boast beautiful musical scores and have some great overly elaborate plots many of which involve sexual frustration/confusion which of course will lead to killings which to an extent are sexualised, of course when all is said and done some of the films throw these exploitation elements in gratuitously without any need but is it any worse than modern action where the villain has twenty henchmen added just to be shot to bits or the sexy scenes in teen comedies added mostly so horny young men will watch them? I think the films aren't really so bad in any respect on the greater scale but marketing in that area doesn't work in the genre's favour as distributors (especially in the UK) are all too eager to sell the films as lurid euro-trash.

Glad you liked "A Bullet for the General" Post Soviet, it really is a highlight of the genre, you should really check out Faccia A Faccia [AKA Face to Face] [DVD] [1967] which is just as complex and fascinating, it works in similar ways in that its as much a socio-political film and a character study as it is a western.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 21:25:21 BDT
'The Killer Reserved Nine Seats' (L'assassino ha riservato nove poltrone) (1974) - one of the many obscure giallo's out there but a real gem.
My favourite spaghetti westerns would have to be:
Death Rides A Horse (1967)
The Big Gundown (1966)
Day Of Anger (1967)
Return Of Ringo (1965)
My Name Is Nobody (1973)
The Great Silence (1968)
Sonny & Jed (1972)
Companeros (1970)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 18:02:50 BDT
Never seen "The Killer Reserved Nine Seats" but as a big giallo fan I'll have to seek it out, nice spaghetti western list, my top ten are:

Mannaja: A Man Called Blade
The Mercenary
Face to Face
Four of the Apocalypse
The Great Silence
Kill and Pray
Death Rides a Horse
Companero's
A Bullet for the General
Django the B*****d

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 21:45:32 BDT
Stuart M B says:
Ihave been thinking for a while now about trying some westerns and your two lists have given me a starting point.
I am guessing that where available BLUE UNDERGROUND is the way to go.I will have to do some homework and find
out about the rest. I could only find five on the BLUE UNDERGROUND web site,will have a look on MELON FARMERS and REWIND@DVD COMPARE and see what they recomend.Thanks for the lists TRASH FAN&A.M.DAWSON

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 08:58:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jul 2012 08:59:22 BDT
L. A. Prince says:
HOW DARE YOU do a list of your favourite spaghetti westerns and fail to include ANY of the dollars trilogy OR 'Once Upon a Time....'
Thats what some people would say I'm sure.Great lists.

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 16:16:29 BDT
well...the dollars trilogy & OUATITW would make my fave's list as well but they are obvious choices....not seen 'Mannaja: A Man Called Blade', i will check that one out.

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 18:08:00 BDT
Stuart M B some are pretty hard to find compared to others, as you say when possible Blue Underground are the way to go but a really low budget company called Wild East do decent versions of westerns often not otherwise available, they're hard to track down sometimes but come in double bills a lot of the time and are cheap, the main difficulty in my list is "The Mercenary" which is best bought through German company Koch Media, its pricey but its Corbucci's best film in my opinion and well worth a watch, it also has the most dramatic two man gun duel I've ever seen, here's the link - The Mercenary ( Il mercenario ) ( Revenge of a Gunfighter )

L. A. Prince I know Leone did good films and I actually was waiting for the violent backlash but I do honestly prefer my ten and besides I don't think of Leone's films as spaghetti westerns, they're more like American westerns but directed by an Italian.

Trash Fan Gerby I just know you'll like "Mannaja", its violent, bleak and full of great characters, Blue Underground are selling it for a few quid.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 18:45:43 BDT
Stuart M B says:
Anthony M Dawson,Thank you for your replyand particularly for the link have now ordered The Mercenary and also A Bullet For the General(Blue Underground)as regards WILD EAST yes they are recomended on DVD COMPARE aswell.I think i might check out MANNAJA while i am about it and order that one

Posted on 28 Jul 2012 19:11:13 BDT
Looking through these posts, i will add some great Italian cult movies that have not been mentioned yet...

Hanno Cambiato Faccia (They've Changed Faces) (1971) - A vampire movie from the director of 'Baba Yaga'...very atmospheric, strange & creepy movie...i love it.
La Mansion de la Niebla (Murder Mansion) (1972) - An italian/Spanish co-prodcution. A couple, lost in thick fog, take refuge in an old mansion next to a cemetery. Strange things start to happen. Plays out like a live action episdoe of Scooby Doo. Atmospheric & awesome.
Occhi Di Cristallo (Eyes Of Crystal) (2004) - probably the best modern day giallo i've seen (along with 'Amer').
Cadaveri Eccellenti (Illustrious Corpses) (1976) - one of my favourite Italian crime thrillers, underated.
Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion (1970) - again one of my favourite Italian crime thrillers. Elio Petri was a very underated film-maker. His 1968 movie 'A Quiet Place In The Country' starring Franco Nero is also worth checking out, a strange but great fantasy horror movie.
Fernando Di Leo's Crime Collection. Milano Calibro 9 (1972), The Italian Connection (1972), The Boss (1973) - If you haven't seen this trilogy of films, shame on you...another high point of Italian Poliziotteschi movies.
Starcrash (1978) - the Italian Star Wars...i'm sure this is well known to all you bad movie aficionado's out there, it is a classic!
Superargo Vs Diabolicus (1966) & Superargo (1968) - i absolutely love these movies...a mixture of James Bond Eurospy type movies, Mexican Lucha Libre movies & Turkish remakes. Three great sub genres rolled into one!
You could also throw in the Italian movies 'Kriminal', The '3 Supermen' series too.

Posted on 28 Jul 2012 19:51:03 BDT
Glad I've been of help Stuart M B, hope you enjoy the films.

Trash Fan Gerby thanks for those recommendations, I've got about two thirds and already and will look into the others at some point, my Italian film collection is massive so I'm always happy and impressed when someone mentions something I don't already have, by the way I was wondering if you could answer something thats been bugging me for ages, you call the Fernando Di Leo films poliziotteschi as do many others but the word polizieschi is thrown about just as often, is one a common mispronounciation or are both valid and if so whats the difference?

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 10:31:10 BDT
I think they both mean the same thing - 70's Italian Crime Films. Some people say Gialli, some say Giallo.
On the subject of Italian Crime films, there is a documentary that has been doing the rounds at Film Festivals this year called 'Eurocrime! The Italian Cop and Gangster Films that Ruled the 70's'. Hopefully it will someday get a dvd/blu ray release, it looks fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2012 16:03:50 BDT
With gialli and giallo the former means multiple films whilst the latter means one specific singular film e.g. there are many gialli but "Mrs Wardh" is my favourite giallo. I didn't know about that documentary but it sounds really cool, I'm going to keep my eye's peeled and I'll report back if I ever find it.

Posted on 29 Jul 2012 18:57:19 BDT
I got to see 'Mrs Wardh' at the Melkweg cinema in Amsterdam last year when they were doing a run on Italian Giallo's. Martino's giallo's are solid, better than a lot of other efforts i think. Besides 'Deep Red', i love 'The Fifth Cord' the most, to me it has great atmosphere & probably the best cinematography of any giallo.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2012 19:39:59 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:41:47 BDT]

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 21:04:41 BDT
Yes, La Scorta is an excellent film in my opinion.
I can't wait for the Lady Snowblood 1 & 2 blu ray as well, would love to see more Japanese Pinky Violence on blu ray, it is one of my favourite genres.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 01:13:54 BDT
Definitely going to pick some of my favourite 1970s and 1980s from my collection sometime soon and have an Italian only marathon week.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 10:33:27 BDT
I have just got a copy of 'Vermillion Eyes'.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:14:56 BDT
I don't like the Italian horror sub-genre (giallo, as it is sometimes called) much.
It's a bit too corny for me and not really scary and the movies seem to be a bit samey (all black leather gloves strangling women and the like)
One exception is the brilliant Suspiria by Dario Argento which blows everything else out of the water.
I love that movie. The look of the movie, the music, that opening (brrrr!).

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 20:21:48 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:41:56 BDT]

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 18:57:43 BDT
'Ultra' is also a good film.
Second Sight are also releasing Re-animator, Bride Of Re-animator, Society & From Beyond on blu-ray before the end of the year!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 20:37:44 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2013 05:42:02 BDT]

Posted on 22 Aug 2012 08:54:41 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Yestrday got at last Midnight Movies 3: Action [DVD] [1974] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] and Midnight Movies 2: Western [DVD] [1968] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] ordered from US, as I have multiregional DVD player.
Started with Street Law. Well... problem lies probably on high expectations, after reading Anthony's and West's glowing reviews. Same happened to me after watching not so long ago Bladerunner, when you expect enlightment or...I don't know. Still, I liked it, despite Franco's Italian English. '0)
Another thing, I'm more able to enjoy movies if I already seen them at the time of release, so, if I see now some 70s flick for the first time, I'm trying to get a perspective, to adjust my senses so to say, for that era. Like fashion, things went slower, tamer, and so on.
Oh, and soundtrack was much better than in Keoma. IMHO.
Wasn't Ringo wife in the film?

Posted on 23 Aug 2012 14:44:58 BDT
Out of those 3 movies on the dvd...i like 'Street Law' the least...'Heroin Busters' is great & 'The Big Racket' is amazing...one of the best 70's Italian crime movies & Enzo G Castellari's best movie imo.
'Companeros' is definately the better of the 3 westerns on the other dvd although all 3 are enjoyable imo.

Posted on 26 Aug 2012 19:33:39 BDT
mister joe says:
Dawson and West25 this is a great forum.Along with all the films referenced you two make me chuckle with your comments about peanuts and junk food.This forum has really opened my eyes to italian horror.In the last few weeks i have ordered Demons,Inferno,House By The Cemetry,The Beyond,City Of The Living Dead,Tenebrae,Phenomena,Zombie Flesh Eaters.I am having a great time watching them all.I am a converted Fulci fan,he has immediately been placed in my favourite directors list.
This is real film worship here.I cannot believe how many dvds you guys watch and order!I have ordered around i think 12/13.I also got Maniac Cop and Tokyo Decadence which is a movie by the guy who wrote Audition.I have not been as excited by a director [Fulci] ironically since watching Takeshis Audition.
Anyway hats off to you both.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (822 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  203
Initial post:  11 Apr 2012
Latest post:  2 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions