Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Best Twist ending.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 137 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Mar 2012 14:12:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2012 07:22:25 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 15:13:44 GMT
Mrs. V. F. R. Niekerk.
I don;t know what upset you, but please remove or edit your post. Two big spoliers. Some people may not have seen these movies and it is not good to give away plots, endings or any spoilers.
Thank you

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 15:44:26 GMT
BGAK says:
Karakter ! the best twist ever -

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 15:47:49 GMT
BGAK says:
"Incendies" also got a very disturbing and moving final twist

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 01:20:08 BDT
sovay says:
Orphan - I never saw that coming!!
Audition - I wish I hadn't read the review that gave the end away! (note to self, avoid spoilers.)

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 06:22:07 BDT
The twist at the end of "Dead of Night". It was so creepy and really got under my skin. I can't explain why - it was described in one review as pure existentialist dread - but it stayed with me for years.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 16:56:23 BDT
Seven
The usual suspects
The Mist
Triangle (the one with Melissa George on a boat)

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 22:04:19 BDT
Fifi says:
Twist at the end of "Incendies" made me scream out loud

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 02:29:40 BDT
'Jeepers Creepers' not only tried so hard to bring REAL horror back at the start of the noughties, it had an excellent, surprising and truly shocking ending in the 'did that just happen?' kind of way. 'They' and 'She-Creature' (2001), 'Trick 'R Treat', 'Drag Me To Hell', 'The Mist', and 'Deep Blue Sea' cut down its characters so lightning quickly and in such a random order, it definitely scored all the way through, 'Pitch Black' the same, though the hero, heroine dying at the end now is becoming as bog-standard tiresome as any other cliche that's been around for years in horror.

'Orphan' was pretty damn impressive with its revelation, as was little-known Aussie film 'Cut', not least cos of what it did to a certain Kylie Minogue at the-er-opening! German slasher 'Anatomy' reveals its foot-soldier only halfway through, that in itself being a surprise there. And 'Scream 2's' unveiling was almost Agathat Christie like in its genius-far moreso than the first one's denoument, which was fair but more ordinary.

Twists are way too commonplace and therefore redundant and annoying in the horror genre today-you get the feeling many films are just done for it, with little thought about everything leading to it. In the 80s, when it wasn't even in to do twists, several films boasted a number halfway through or/and the end and two top 80s vampire films in 'Vamp' and 'The Lost Boys' have them-if anyone's seen them, you'll know to what I must be refering to, and 'Vamp' has several highly effective ones at different points, none of which are rammed home, and one possibly by accident! The great remake of the silly 50s 'The Blob' film also 'Deep Blue Sead' its cast, taking out key members in the first half hour!!

Away from horror, thrillers like 'Eye Of The Beholder' and 'The Bone Collector' have an impressive twist. 'Psycho' of course, and 'Black Christmas'-in fact to get the ending, you probably need to hear it described by the director on the film's commentary done some 30 or so years after it! The drama 'Mumford' unmasks a character as something else than he passes himself of as, and 'A Thousand Acres' (if you haven't read the book) has a nasty secret to wring out halfway through.

Bravest, most satisfying horror end for the 90s was 'The Faculty'-a film that not only threw off its deceptively wild slasher directory at the start, becoming instead an alien film set in a high school (surely a first ever?!) but also had a brilliant metaphorical choice for the alien leader (think 'The Breakfast Club'!) and above all, ended on a happy note. No naffly cynical, "there's one left over there", just the school saved, and there's no 'just' about the good guys trying to win through is there? Can't think of a horror that would end like this again and that's a bad repetitive thing.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 02:31:37 BDT
I forgot to add 'What Lies Beneath' and 'The Frighteners', which, while not astounding, I still didn't realise till too late. The film 'Clue' aswell, based on the board game and 'Exam'.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 16:46:41 BDT
Alina says:
Sadly the twist ending of Shutter Island has been done to death so many times before that I knew it before I loaded the DVD and hoped that it wouldn't end that way. I hoped wrong. It ended that way. This twist literally dates from the 20's.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 02:54:04 BDT
Val Kilmer thriller 'The Salt-on Sea' has also a surprising denoument.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 17:51:50 BDT
L. A. Prince says:
'Lust in the Fat Lane'...Vampires..?

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:30:05 BDT
Still Se7en, man. That ending just floored me. I'm glad I didn't guess it beforehand, the impact was so much greater.
That whole scene, Brad Pitt's disbelief, Kevin Spacey's voice, Morgan Freeman peering into the box....that box....that box.....
Everyone goes on about the Sixth Sense's ending, I didn't really care much for it. In the first place, when I heard that the movie had a big twist at the end, I guessed correctly the first time before even seeing it.
What else could the twist be, if you think about it?
A

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 18:18:13 BDT
I'm afraid I've seen almost every film mentioned here and saw the 'twist' coming a mile off. But I have been caught out occasionally - the original Wicker Man, and the Spanish film The Dark Hour spring to mind.

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 20:25:44 BDT
Mr. J. Ryden says:
The Mist was a cracker of an ending, a proper sucker punch. I've you've already read the book (which is one of his finest short stories) the ending is even better.

Switchblade Romance counts as a WTF leftfield ending. Renders the preceding hour-and-a-bit utterly pointless, mind.

Acid-trip of a 70s film 'The Baby' has to be seen to believed, that's a cracker of an ending.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 17:09:49 BDT
Thanks for the heads-up, I don't think I'll bother running 'Switchblade Romance'. Hype is bad enough, but now every country seems to getting into that wretched M. Night Shaylman rule that dictates a film (especialy a scary one) is not worth making unless it's got an ending to screw with everyone, which ironically does nothing more than invalidate the whole film. 'Cold Prey'-if it had a twist-doubtful-was more than lousy enough, but that did include the whole movie which you could guess even if you were shorn of your viewing and hearing capabilities. So no thanks to 'Swtichblade Romance'. Can't we just say (with a yawn) "killer never dies" and get it over with?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 17:50:13 BDT
Oh dear, ScottPaul. That comment was a bit of a downer.
I started the thread as a bit of fun, never meant it to create bad feelings.
"Why So Serious ?"
Each to their own, as they say.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 18:21:58 BDT
How's that a "downer". I'm not the first to have commented on a lousy twist, especially if it's compared with a better one. Surely you'll find the tone bounces from light to serious in every discussion thread, there's no "oh dear" about it. It's just a point, if you want to get all freaked out by it that's up to you, but I think that a little bit strange. Each to their own as you say but own what? A bad twist is a bad twist right, and surely whether they work or not is as much part of this thread as what the best example are?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 18:55:27 BDT
Oldboy

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 19:03:34 BDT
It was the comment, "Can't we just say (with a yawn) "killer never dies" and get it over with?"
I read it as if you were talking about the whole subject and sounded like you were bored or annoyed by the thread or some of the comments.
I know that some can be fun and others can take comments to heart.
I am defiantly not "Freaked out", and i am light hearted about the whole thing.
Did not mean to upset you.
I find every post fascinating and your earlier post was excellent, i love "Jeppers Creepers" 1 and 2, and loved the "Bat out of Hell" reference.
I started the thread because most horror, thriller, monster movies you can either see what's coming or know that something will. "The Sixth Sense" was a good -one off- but it was not hard to work out. With "The Mist" the end was so out of left field, i don't think anyone saw that coming.
Also, not a brilliant movie, but a great end was "Identity".
Well, there you go, i love discussing and reading other peoples views and have purchased a few DVD's from recommendations from this thread.
So check under your bed tonight !!!!
p.s. I watched "The Mothman Prophesy" with Richard Geere again last night, and it still stands as one of my top 5 unsettling, don't sleep alone, leave a light on, movies ever.
Lastly my copy ( DVD ) i have recently got blue ray but i will wait until a reasonable price, "Why So Serious" is in danger of wearing out.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 19:05:08 BDT
Sorry, don't get it ?

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 08:36:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Aug 2012 08:39:28 BDT
** SPOILER ALERT for THE MIST ***
I just put in my twopence worth about the ending of The Mist. Many people enjoyed it and was shocked by it and I think that's great. That's what movies are all about. But in my modest opinion, I think it was a contrived and fake ending with the sole purpose of shocking people and the director getting his rocks off with this "controversial" ending.
Can you please explain how a brave hero who spent an entire movie defending his son and other people from the creatures just suddenly decides after what seems like 5 minutes after their car breaks down to shoot HIS OWN SON and the other people in the car? I'm sorry - I don't buy that. Not in keeping with his character and nobody would shoot their own son. I know he did it to save him from the boogies, but c'mon. If Darabont had a scene depicting days go by, where they have no food and all hope is really gone with creatures surrounding therm, yes, maybe then. But just like that? And then to have the Army trundle by seconds after? Gimme a break! Does that sound realistic to you? I do like the fact that the woman who ran away in the beginning, survived as she is seen on one of the trucks. But this is to me a false bad ending, similar to the false happy endings people used to hate so much in the early days. Anybody agree?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2012 08:45:38 BDT
Post Soviet says:
With you on that 100% Mrs. V. F. R. Niekerk, hated ending in 'Mist' from the first view. Cheap trick to shock the people.

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 08:55:41 BDT
It,s got to be saw when he stands up at the end for me. For horror movie anyway
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (823 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  137
Initial post:  29 Nov 2011
Latest post:  8 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers