Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > horror discussion forum

Jess Franco

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-44 of 44 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Mar 2010 22:40:21 GMT
"Paula Paula" arrived today, haven't watched it yet though, I'm having what I call a yellow Saturday, I'll be sure to report back once I've seen it though.

By the way Count I think you'll really like "Euginie de Sade", try not to watch it on front of the countess though, its got some fairly fine titilation and a decent plot too, murders abound as Soledad and her dirty daddy/lover take de Sade's logic to the extreme, inbetween the violence there's lots of nudity to keep you focused, its great stuff I assure you.

Posted on 2 Nov 2010 23:55:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2010 00:39:36 GMT
A few months ago I watched "Faceless" from this triple feature which I bought last December or January for about four pound.Euro Trash: Triple Feature [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] Very enjoyable from beginning to end and I really liked the cheesy eighties song too, which I have read a lot of people saying it spoils the film, I disagree completely with these people and couldn't imagine this film now without this cheesy song. This is now my favourite Franco film alongside "Bloody Moon".

Will be watching it again at christmas as it's christmas in the film although it doesn't feel that christmasy it will now be alongside my yearly December horror christmas marathon alongside other christmas classics like "Night Train Murders", "Black Christmas", "Don't Open til Christmas", "Silent Night, Bloody Night", Gremlins 1 & 2", "Campfire Tales", "Night of the Hunter", "Deep Red", "Trees 1 and 2", "Terror Train", "Christmas Evil", "Night of the Comet", "Madhouse", "Deadly Little Christmas", "Tales from the Crypt", "Christmas Season Massacre, "Psycho Santa", "Satan Clause", "Santa's Slay", Silent Night, Deadly Night" 1 to 5, "P2", "One Hell of a Christmas" etc. etc. etc. etc. and many more alongside hopefully a re-release of Norman Warren's "Bloody New Year" dvd and a dvd release of "To all a Goodnight" and New Year's Evil". Sorry, should have saved most of that for the waffle topic or the Christmas film topic which I am sure will be refreshed in about a months time.

Back to Jesse Franco, I still haven't seen a lot of the older Franco films though, I have quite a few in my collection to watch yet. One I haven't bought yet that people seem to rate highly is "99 women" I am not sure which version out of these two to buy though, could someone help? The Unrated Blue Underground release is shorter but looks like the better option as this is all Jesse Franco directed, the other one is longer but not all Jesse Franco and not as good extras, so I am confused as to which one is the best from the links below.

99 Women (Unrated Directors Cut) (DVD) (1969) (Region 0) (NTSC) (US Import)

99 Women (Limited Edition)

Posted on 4 Nov 2010 19:45:05 GMT
Tough choice on "99 Women" but I went for the directors softcore cut, from what I gather the whole film is in French and subtitled on the hardcore cut and the hardcore scenes weren't done by Jess, plus you get them as extra's in the soft version, by the way recently saw "Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun", amazing stuff, few nunsploitation hold up like that one!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 20:17:45 GMT
A. Walker, thanks. Think I will definitely go for the unrated Blue Underground release then. Sounds like the best option with it being all Jess Franco. Plus if it includes scenes from the limited edition as extras, makes my choice even easier as there's not really that much point in me buying the limited edition and the unrated is cheaper too.

Posted on 21 Nov 2010 16:00:06 GMT
I watched "Cannibals" a few days ago. I heard this is one of the worst rated cannibals films ever alongside "Cannibal Terror" not that I give a f*ck about low ratings or anything but I had no high expectations and I actually enjoyed it. Thought it was a very enjoyable kidnapping adventure cannibal film with some strange cannibal slow motion action. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting it in the same league as "Cannibal Holocaust" or "Cannibal Ferox", but I enjoyed it a lot more than "Cannibal Terror" which I do agree was torturous in trying to stay awake while watching. That's probably the most boring cannibal film I've seen yet.

It was good to see Al Cliver again of "Zombie Flesh Eaters" and "Devil Hunter" etc.

Cannibals [DVD] [1980]

Didn't bother with the more expensive Blue Underground release on this occasion as I knew it wouldn't be a classic, so went for the cheap Hardgore release instead which I think is just as good anyway or almost as good.

If I remember correctly, this has a very small christmas time connection in New York I think? Come to think of it now, doesn't Lenzi's "Eaten Alive" also have a small christmas connection? in New York near the beginning? thought I remembered seeing christmas decorations and santas? or am I thinking of Lenzi's "Cannibal Ferox"? or was it both? just thought I would mention it with December getting nearer.

Posted on 21 Nov 2010 22:16:13 GMT
Hello Madman, look out for a lost Franco film "The Sinister Eyes of Dr Orloff" coming out next year. Also his rather fine art installation type film "Paula-Paula" is getting a wider release than the initial run of 500.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2010 22:26:53 GMT
Thanks Count, good to see you back, even if it is for a very limited time only? I will keep an eye out for those two, they will be straight on my wish list, thanks.

Posted on 7 Jan 2011 23:13:34 GMT
Y. Ran says:
I thought to give those Tartan titles a go before they disappear or get too expensive...

Jess Franco Double Bill - Vol. 1 - Dracula Vs Frankenstein / Curse Of Frankenstein [1972] [DVD]

As you can imagine from the titles those are trash camp films that defy logic, but there is more to it then that. cinematic bizarreness would describe it better.
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN deals with Cagliosto and his vampiric bird woman assistant who kills Dr. Frankenstein and steal his monster creation to create a new race to enslave! Dr. Frank is being resurrected few times to help and find his murderers. Some wonderful locations and an hallucinogenic feel. The monster have silver body paint (though interestingly, when they create a woman she is all natural colours). And very interesting soundtrack- when would someone release that one?!
The film was released in a shorter version with more risque scenes, it was titled THE EROTIC RIGHTS OF FRANKENSTEIN. You can find those scenes on the DVD's extras, and they do add to the bizarre feel of it all, like the wiping scene that turned much longer with the couple being nude.

DRACULA PRISONER OF FRANKENSTEIN is more of the same, though not as strong as. They couple well and use some of the same locations.
I really enjoyed those two!

Jess Franco Double Bill - Vol. 2 - Devil's Island Lovers / Night Of The Assassin [DVD] [1974]
DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS can be read as an anti dictatorship films that develop into a Women In Prison film with all that you would associate with that genre. The prison have great architecture and located on a lovely island. I think it is safe to say that Franco the Director was referring to Spain under Franco the dictator..
NIGHT OF THE ASSASSINS is a who-done-it film as a masked murderer do what we expect him to do in a big castle.
Those two belong to the 'good' Franco, as opposed to the many trashy films he made, and they do have all of the Franco ingredients: impressive architecture, nudity, lipstick lesbians, but somehow they didn't captured my imagination, maybe because they were predictable and followed genre structures we know so well..

I can't attach dead links but if you will search under titles you would find
Jess Franco Double Bill - Vol. 3 - Blood Moon / Linda (DVD) (2006) - DVD
I don't think it ever came out...

Posted on 27 Feb 2012 01:38:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2012 01:40:01 GMT
I seem to buy at least one Franco film every week now on DVD. His filmography is huge, I also have to check his films on dvdcompare to see which DVD is cut and what is uncut, more than any other director. Recently added Lorna the Exorcist [DVD] [1974] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]Paula-Paula [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]Sinister Eyes of Dr Orloff [DVD] [1973] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC].

I also got the uncut Euroshock release of "Female Vampire" for about a fiver and I also bought the UK Franco collection boxset with 15 films for about £20. Yes I know that five are cut, but ten are uncut and some of those that are cut like for example "Wicked Warden", I already have the uncut US Anchor Bay release anyway. It was cheaper to buy this boxset as it worked out at about £2 each for ten uncut releases, so no complaints. Also got "Venus in Furs" for under £2.

Jess Franco: Complete Collection [DVD]

Venus in Furs [DVD]

Female Vampire [DVD] [1973] [US Import] [NTSC]

Next on my Franco to buy list.Sinner: Diary of a Nymphomaniac [DVD] [1973] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2012 07:04:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2012 07:18:39 GMT
Rich says:
Mondo Macabro are following up the triumphant releases of Lorna and Sinner with Comtess Peverse, a jaw dropping, nudey version of The Most Dangerous Game and the DeSadean and whip crazy Pasir A Trois. These will be the key Franco discs of the year.

R. I. P. Lina.

Sex Is Crazy [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

Posted on 2 Apr 2013 18:24:05 BDT
Y. Ran says:
Jess Franco 1930 - 2013

Posted on 16 Oct 2013 15:52:01 BDT
Stuart M B says:
Watched COUNTESS PERVERSE last night,well that's 90mins of my life I am not getting back.What a load of cobblers.
it has now taken place as the worst film in my collection and like most of you I have a few stinkers but this one takes the biscuit

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2013 16:39:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Oct 2013 16:40:05 BDT
Easily the longest time I've gone without buying a Jess Franco dvd. Haven't bought "Countess Perverse" yet, but highly likely I'd get some enjoyment from it. Shame I can't pop around to your home and buy it from you, Stuart. I assume it's the mondo macabro release you own?

Posted on 19 Oct 2013 23:34:53 BDT
Stuart M B says:
JOHN KINSDALE
Yes it is the MONDO MACABRE release bought it last week from ebay i would be willing to sell it to you if you care to pop round how near to YORKSHIRE are you?

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 14:24:58 BDT
Annoymous says:
Faceless has to be one of Franco's most fun flicks. A decaying patisserie of sleazy trash and creamy red gore served up in a French bow of utter kitsch excess, and it's a competently baked sliver of filth to choke on. I just love the way most of the cast seem to be having a riot barely able to make it through scenes without displaying mirth, surely this is Franco's biggest budget and most technically proficient movie?

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 15:08:51 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Dec 2013 02:16:12 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2013 15:16:44 BDT
Yes Stuart, I live south in Sheffield.

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 15:28:13 BDT
Arch Stanton says:
I haven't seen Faceless for over 15years probably. One of Franco's better (more commercial at any rate) films. I really must rewatch that... Probably on a triple bill with Corruption and The Bloodbath of Dr Jekyll..

Stuart M B: As an alternative to Countess Perverse, if you haven't seen it, try Welcome To Arrow Beach ('74) you might like that ~ unless you really don't like drive in trash either, in which case avoid that too :D.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2013 16:31:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Oct 2013 16:37:11 BDT
I've finally decided and just ordered that tartan double feature volume 2, Y.Ran. It's been on my wish list for years, but my patience has ran out in trying to find a used copy for less than a tenner. So then, my few month spell without buying a Jess Franco dvd has ended just now. I know some of his films can be boring if I'm not in the right mood, but I do like what I've read on those two and I do plan on buying that volume one release too.

I just remembered the last one I bought before this as I'd forgotten with me buying that many of his, but it was the blue underground release of "Girl from Rio". Think I paid less than £3 pound for that one with post included, I know I remember not paying much for it anyway.

Girl From Rio [DVD] [1969] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the horror discussion forum (823 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  horror discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  2 Nov 2009
Latest post:  20 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions