Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Stephen King 'Non-Horror' Books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2012, 10:05:43 BST
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2012, 10:08:38 BST
L. Youngs says:
Hello, this is my first post but have often looked around the forums, I have been looking for something to rival 11.22.63 for a while now, I dont think anything has come close to that book for me, in my eyes.
Am an avid reader and have read all the fifty shades, before anyone suggests. Am currently reading Between the lines, by Jodie Picoult.
Am just wondering if there is anything out there that Stephen King has written that is along the same lines as 11.22.63, as in not horror..As that is not my cup of tea. It was my first interaction with King really and was amazed by how well he writes. Have also read The green mile since and really enjoyed that too. So am hoping someone has some suggestions for me. Many thanks

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 10:27:37 BST
old scot says:
Suggestions:
a) "Dolores Claiborne".
b) "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" from which the film "Shawshank Redemption" was made. It's part of the short story collection (though his "short" stories are quite long) "Different Seasons" .

Not all Stephen King's books are entirely horror - some just have some horror bits here and there.
But regardless of horror or not, in my opinion you should avoid "Rose Madder" and "Desperation", which, although I am a die-hard King fan of many years, I found terrible - boring and formulaic, just going through the motions.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 10:59:20 BST
L. Youngs says:
Thank you old scot, I shall order both today and let you know what I think x

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 11:02:49 BST
[Deleted by the author on 19 Jul 2012, 11:03:16 BST]

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 11:09:10 BST
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2012, 11:09:30 BST
DK says:
Different Seasons is definately a great shout - not only does it have the stories that inspired the Shawshank Redmeption and Stand By Me but it also has Apt Pupil which is very un-Stephen King like.
Apart from Salems Lot, The Shining, Pet Sematary and It I wouldnt class his stories as horror as such as IMO they are good stories that have horror elements to them.
I would avoid Geralds Game, Needful Things, The Dark Half and Dreamcatcher - they are not King at his best. His short story collections are all good and cover a wide genre of stories.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 11:28:56 BST
try 'the girl who loved tom gorden', its a short book but i found that i just could not put it down

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 13:47:50 BST
Isabella says:
I liked Rose Madder! I also like Dean Kootz, but not his horror of horrors.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 14:31:06 BST
DK says:
The Dead Zone is a great example of a non-horror King book and also one of my SK faves.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 14:35:21 BST
Anita says:
Daniel - very much agreed with that

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 16:22:25 BST
ElaineG says:
Hearts in Atlantis - is a collection of short stories, which can be a bit bizarre at times, but not all horror based.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 19:25:25 BST
Booktigger says:
I hated this and don't know why i kept it!

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 21:06:49 BST
Adela says:
The stand
insomnia

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012, 21:26:05 BST
LEP says:
The Green Mile

Posted on 19 Jul 2012, 22:00:07 BST
The Stand is one of my all time favourite books, and my favourite Stephen King after Salems Lot.. but I do think its one of the most horrific books Ive ever read!! Purely because so much of it is so completely plausible, and therefore quite heartbreaking in places. But an excellent book anyway and one I would recommend to anybody. Though I would say, get the unedited version, it is a heavier read and a fair bit longer, but the small by-stories really add to the overall picture of the main story.

Posted on 21 Jul 2012, 23:08:26 BST
msCaulfield says:
Out of all of King's books I'd have to say IT - it's my personal favourite because unlike some of his stuff (Misery springs to mind) he doesn't make "fear factor", as it were, the most important part of the novel. Though there are certainly some frightening moments, it's mostly focused on a group of main characters and their relationships with one another; it's very tender in places and is about people rather than monsters. Though to be honest you'd be hard-pushed to find a King novel that doesn't conform to that last statement! Don't be put off by the gigantic size - it's an epic, and is worth it. Happy Stephening!

Posted on 21 Jul 2012, 23:27:23 BST
L. Youngs says:
Oh you see im a little strange when it comes to that mrsCaulfield.. I have seen the film Misery and I have to say I loved it, The thought of IT scares me, Im not into spooky clowns.
I can handle the Human violence aspect of books, If its supernatural or a bit freaky then I cant do that.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2012, 16:16:21 BST
I agree with you on "Desperation", although oddly enough I loved "The Regulators", which was essentially the same story and same characters rearranged into a different configuration. His alter ego outdid him that time!

Posted on 22 Jul 2012, 18:47:59 BST
My favourite books of stephen kings are The stand IT however the original poster was asking for non horror and I think those would fall in there-

the dome is a non horror stephen king book worth a try
the green mile another

Posted on 22 Jul 2012, 21:31:35 BST
IT gave me a phobia about clowns of any description which has stayed with me since I read it as a teenager, and now I'm in my 40s!! I doubt very much I' m alone in that somehow!!

Posted on 25 Jul 2012, 12:28:31 BST
I'd also say his non-fiction books Dance Macabre (an overview of horror books, films etc.) and On Writing are both excellent, if you are interested in the subject matter.

James
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  19 Jul 2012
Latest post:  25 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers