Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Please keep self promo for the Meet Our Authors Forum!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 519 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Mar 2013 11:57:51 GMT
I think it just goes to show that tracking robots will not be replacing humans any time soon.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 12:21:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2013 19:47:12 GMT
Absolutely.

I'm fighting with the dragon. He's gone crazy and I just realised how big he's become as he's now taking the direct way to get to the lower shelf, rather than to the end of the vivarium, where it would be much easier. He stretches himself and angles with his front feet for footing, which he achieves without problems. And he's in mating season again, which makes him rather unpredictable, wild and dangerous, getting worse with every month. *sigh* When I stick my head and upper body in to clean, he's right at the front, trying to get out. So it's a battle between iguana and me. Who will give up first? He just did a dead roll in my arms and ouch ... It's like rubbing your skin with really coarse sandpaper.

Sorry for babbling on, but he never fails to make me smile, even in those hard months. I think he definitely has a warped sense of humour.

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 18:49:52 GMT
where was I ? yes thats it, I've called myself up to my head office and given myself a jolly good hand shake and offered myself the top job - which after a polite pause and due consideration - I have accepted and start tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:37:20 GMT
I Readalot says:
Sounds like fun Stella. how big is he?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:37:35 GMT
It got lost along with the apostrophe ...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:38:24 GMT
I Readalot says:
Congratulations knocked out, does that mean if things go wrong you will have to sack yourself as well?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:43:40 GMT
I Readalot says:
Somewhere out there is a land of missing letters/numbers and lost punctuation marks, doubt if there are many commas though as they definitely seem to get overused.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:46:11 GMT
I've been hoarding some exclamation marks, if you ever want to borrow some. I'm happy to barter for jelly babies.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:47:58 GMT
I Readalot says:
I'll keep that in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:50:43 GMT
And, for a price, I know where to source some unused capital letters, filched from a security van that was delivering them to a Proper Noun repository last month.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 19:54:00 GMT
He's roughly 150 cm (almost five feet) and weighs 6kg (about a stone). His body is about 53cm, which is 1'7", I think. He always seeks my eyes, then head bobs and shakes his head at me like a maniac. Too funny.
Most beautiful now in mating season as he's mainly bright orange and his head is turquoise. They are so magnificent animals. Can you tell that I love reptiles? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 20:04:26 GMT
I Readalot says:
Quite big then. My son likes reptiles, haven't got space for anything big but he did have a Skink, it was really cute we used to let him out and he would climb up onto our heads and just sit there.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 20:19:52 GMT
Oh, yes, skinks are very cute and become very tame. The ones I've encountered were all laid back. I like anything scaly, really. And everything with feathers. If a little sparrow hops across my path, I'll just stop and watch it. Ducks being my favourite (like them also in the pan, I'm afraid).

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 21:02:24 GMT
Phnark, I pop in and the thread's turned into Jasper Fforde does reptile appreciation. Phnark. Stella, hope the randy boy is calming down. ;-)

I seem to be pathologically unable to type the word 'to'. The amount of instances where I miss it out in my books is startling. I'd say instances of a lacking 'to' probably make up about 20% of my typo count. So whoever's hoarding 'to' can you give it back please.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 21:27:23 GMT
I Readalot says:
Not guilty, I'd check with Marcus though he seems to be in the know.

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 22:23:11 GMT
Perhaps we have grammasites.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 00:42:31 GMT
He will. At some point in a few months. Until then it's going to become worse. And giving him a female won't do the trick either, as he'd probably shag her until she dies from exhaustion. It's just tough to be an iguana in mating season, for both sexes. Poor things.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 11:01:35 GMT
Aw bless... bromide in his tea maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 14:04:24 GMT
A good head rub and one of my slippers every now and again seems to do the trick ... for five minutes.
Gee, I'm out of breath. Decided to spend the waiting time (for the plumber) with doing my workout. The iguana was quite excited and ran back and forth in the vivarium, wanted to mingle. He's so funny.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 15:20:50 GMT
TomC says:
Hi Stella.

Have you been bitten?

I was prompted by this to look at a site which has information on aggressive iguana behaviour: scary stuff.

There are nasty pictures of bites on this page!

http://www.todaysplanet.com/pg/beta/lizardlover/page6.htm

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 15:49:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2013 15:51:08 GMT
Hi, Tom.

I've stopped counting. Quite a few scars, actually. Had one visit to the A&E, too. Luckily no stitches, but it was nasty. I know Henry's site and have recommended others to look at it before they decide to go and get an iguana. It's one of my passions to 'educate' people about them. They may look all cute when they're babies, but they grow very fast and can get very aggressive. Particularly males with female owners and that's where the problems start with people giving them away or abandoning them. I know first hand how difficult they can get. It's my second male, and he's really aggressive as well as territorial. I take the bad with the good though. The last really hefty bite was in August (had pictures on my blog, but they didn't survive the move to the new address) which could have done with stitches. He jumped about a meter and caught the ball of my hand with his teeth and ripped it open. Ouch! Took a few weeks to heal. All I want is to avoid that he ever gets hold of my fingers, because that would mean I can only count to nine then. They have powerful jaws.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 18:20:52 GMT
TomC says:
Good grief - you must really love them to go through all that. I've had lots of bites and scratches from cute-looking pussy cats, but that is an entirely different order of aggression.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 18:53:04 GMT
In November '94 I went into a pet shop (something I wouldn't do again or advise anyone, at least not to buy a pet) and wanted to take a look at some budgies.
I turned around and tiny green dragon winked at me. That was it; I was in love. Never looked back. Not once. In fact, I keep banging on about opening a reptile rescue and education centre here in London.
Have to say that I was very lucky with my first iguana as she was the most amazing and gentle soul ever. She never bit me, but instead climbed onto my lap and fell asleep. I miss her dearly, even though it's been five years and I love my Zorro very much. She was special.

Posted on 21 Mar 2013 18:55:49 GMT
Sorry, everyone. If you want me to stop rambling about my odd love for the scaly creatures, please say a word and I will shut up.
Particularly you, I Readalot. Thoroughly derailed, I'd say.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 19:19:13 GMT
I Readalot says:
Scaly creatures are fine by me. Talking of birds when I was young we had a Blue Headed Amazon parrot, my brother was in the navy and brought him back from the West Indies, he was only a baby. We kept him for years, a real character, once we had all left home my parents had problems coping with him and no-one was in a position to take him on so he was taken to a bird sanctuary, best place for him really - could still be there now.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  519
Initial post:  27 Feb 2013
Latest post:  24 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions