Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited 4 months for £0.99 Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What is the saddest book you have ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 925 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2009, 14:03:09 BST
The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans. The story itself isn't sad, it's an superb peice of writing, but the ending; had me in tears for a week solid! It's one of those books that stays with you. I think the author wanted to soften the ending a little by adding an eliment of hope, but this just made it all the more sadder for me. Do not confuse this book with the film - which did not stick to the story and was, quite frankly, useless.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 14:21:05 BST
Becca R says:
'Frankenstein'. The image of the monster chasing after his maker at the end of the novel is a poignant and pitiful reminder of how we all just want to be loved.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 14:30:52 BST
Jazz says:
Sophies Bakery for the broken hearted by lolly Winston. Written with feeling it made me cry.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 16:18:58 BST
BookJumper says:
I agree with Rebecca - Frankenstein is heartbreaking.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 16:31:20 BST
Saraholeila says:
The Book Thief and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Anything to do with the Holocaust makes me blub because of the factual roots.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 16:32:56 BST
Saraholeila says:
John Connelly's 'Book of Lost Things' is great, too, very good but sad ending.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 20:03:21 BST
A Severe Mercy

I read this years ago. I could not leave it till I'd finished it in the early hours, sobbing quite dramatically.
I actually felt grief stricken and bereaved - I could not believe it - over someone I'd never met.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 20:31:31 BST
alex's mum says:
Her Benny by Silas K. Hocking

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 21:21:28 BST
The one that immediately came to mind was All quiet on the Western front. I first read it at school years ago and have re-read it several times and i always cry.

Posted on 7 Oct 2009, 23:02:32 BST
Sanderae says:
Ring of Bright Water - horrible ending

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2009, 02:27:20 BST
A. Gora says:
Yes, completly agree with you about "Goodnight Beautiful" it was beautifuly written, had me in tears. I found "My Best Friend's Girl" also by Dorothry Koomson very touching, it had me crying at the very first chapter.

Anyway, after reading everyones comments, I've just been out and got "The Time Travellers Wife" can't wait to read it.

Posted on 8 Oct 2009, 08:14:30 BST
What is the What by Eggers.
Shantaram by Roberts.

Posted on 8 Oct 2009, 13:20:53 BST
F. Orford says:
Marley and Me. The book and the film. Even though it was inevitable what would happen, I still cried my eyes out.

Posted on 8 Oct 2009, 13:27:51 BST
Marley and Me. Cried like a baby towards the end.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2009, 14:49:10 BST
HL says:
Tess of the d'Urbervilles - if only she'd been able to afford a watch all the tragedy in her life would never have happened

Posted on 8 Oct 2009, 17:29:40 BST
Try BLACK BEAUTY by Anna Sewell - a real tear jerker - poor Ginger!

Posted on 8 Oct 2009, 18:59:38 BST
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, had me in floods of tears.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009, 12:59:01 BST
Sanderae says:
Goodbye Mr Chips - absolutely agree.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009, 13:38:57 BST
Critique says:
The boy in striped pyjamas

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2009, 14:59:18 BST
F. Lamont says:
I agree Miss Jane. I couldn't put the book down.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009, 15:04:58 BST
222FollowsMe says:
I thought Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 was terribly sad, despite the dry, caustic humour throughout - it left me aching afterward. Truly, war is a painful subject at the best of times, but surpassingly so in this slim novel.
The Hungry Ghosts by Anne Berry is probably the overall Saddest Book I've read - relentlessly tragic throughout; if you want a book to leave you depressed every time you finish a chapter, with no hope of improvement, this is the one for you. I cried several times, the story is the most forlorn I've read - utterly hopeless.
Finally, I've just finished reading Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones, lent to me by my mother. It is *extraordinary* - so, so sad, heartbreakingly so (my poor husband was awoken at 3am by my uncontrollable, inconsolable sobbing). The story follows a child on a small Antipodean island, which is suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by the arrival of a bloody and violent civil war. It's gruesome and horrific and incredibly human - but simultaneously, just absolutely lovely.
Well that's it from me. Enjoy - if that's the right word!

Posted on 9 Oct 2009, 16:36:31 BST
J. Morris says:
I was just about to mention why no mention of Slaughterhouse 5!

Billy Pilgrim's bleak fatalism reminded me of my own oppressive depressive periods. At first I thought the "living life out of sequence" was a gimmick, but it really helped forge the air of hopeless inevitability in a life traumatised by war.

Just because Vonnegut is funny (albeit blackly), doesn't mean his books aren't often sad, too. And just because they're often lumped in as SF, it doesn't mean they can't have real emotions.

Posted on 9 Oct 2009, 17:54:03 BST
The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. They go for a walk - she dies. The end. It's sad because I can't believe I wasted time reading it. Give me Emile Zola any day of the week - brilliant descriptive stories that are so well wriitten that you can smell whatever he is describing. Pure brilliance.

Nana (Oxford World's Classics)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2009, 18:25:48 BST
Yes, completely agree. It has to be The Road...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2009, 18:34:06 BST
There is no sadder novel than Stoner, by John Williams, a much under-rated mid century US novelist. Called by some 'the perfect novel'. I'd go further - it is a work of art. Stoner
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
421 23 Dec 2014
Vague description - want to find the book... 19 12 days ago
Fiction forum - chat and discussion thread 743 25 days ago
Books similar to Martina Cole's please! 30 29 days ago
Let's write a story in the fiction forum - Keywords: collaborative fiction cooperative writing writers block creative writing practice joint story making world building 348 29 days ago
Author like Jo Nesbo 5 29 May 2017
Celtic/ iron age Fiction 18 24 May 2017
what feminist and marxist books do people reccomend for english lit a level coursework??? 52 22 May 2017
A Word Game ... 600 26 Apr 2017
Books set in 40s/50s 45 8 Feb 2017
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 272 25 Jan 2017
What are you reading now, list and chat 526 19 Dec 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  675
Total posts:  925
Initial post:  17 Sep 2009
Latest post:  20 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers