Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Time-slip novels. What's good?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 109 posts in this discussion
Posted on 4 Jun 2011 11:49:13 BDT
Bugtown by John McKenzie

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2011 22:32:14 BDT
Fee fee. Did you read Fearney? Did you like it?

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 22:38:16 BDT
Fee fee says:
Yes, I read Fearney and loved it, thanks for the tip...got any more? I just got the new Susannah Kearsley from the library, looking forward to that. I'm working my way through Barbara Erskine's at the moment too and really love them.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2011 00:35:25 BDT
Sadly no more 'time slip' novels but you may enjoy The Drowning Girl which does have an element in common with Fearney. Can't tell you any more as don't want to spoil the plot!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2011 10:41:51 BDT
Fee fee says:
Hi, just reserved The Drowing Girl at the library, it's looks very interesting. This forum can be so useful, I've found so many wonderful books from recommendations so thanks very much!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 16:35:19 GMT
Sue says:
Anya Seton's Green Darkness is a very good 'time-slip' novel. It is historically interesting, with references to Ightham Mote and various Sussex sites, and is also a great romance.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 16:52:22 GMT
Secsy says:
Yes - I loved it. But in general I prefer time slip novels that have a larger gap. A true period part, as well as a modern part.

By the way - I thought the movie of time travellers was also very good. A good adaptation. Often the movie version is not good.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 16:55:05 GMT
Secsy says:
I think - and I might be wrong here, but
Time Slip is when a novel refers to 2 (or more) different periods in time, usually something historic and something "nowadays". However the characters in each "time" are different. Through the book you learn how the 2 different times fit together and how they link.
Time travel is where the characters move about through different periods of time.
Does that help?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 16:56:17 GMT
Secsy says:
Have now read both of these. Time travellers has become one of my all time faves - thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2012 00:32:55 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Jan 2012 00:35:04 GMT]

Posted on 8 Feb 2012 18:39:21 GMT
leericho says:
Ferney by James Long, Green Darkness by Anya Seton. Any B
arbara Erskine book.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 20:29:37 GMT
Minijax says:
I hesitate to post here with a promotion, and I will not include the name of my book. But it does have similarities to The Forgotten Garden, which I read long after writing my own novel. It is a time-slip novel, not a time travel novel. If anyone is interested, please look me up.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 12:08:55 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Feb 2012 12:09:45 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2012 13:25:36 GMT
ladybird says:
You might enjoy reading - Catherine Mists of Time
Also in kindle -Catherine Mists of Time

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 20:04:21 GMT
Fm Oshea says:
Thank you All! I came on this list quite by chance, very glad I did. I have plenty of new books to choose from. This makes me very happy!. A good haul for these wintry afternoons. F.M.

Posted on 16 Dec 2012 08:52:48 GMT
Secsy says:
Dear all, I have just finished Time's Echo by Pamela hartshorne. Loved it. A true time slip novel, in all senses. Defo worthy read.
I keep coming back to this thread, so please do continue your recommendations. I have read many of the suggestions, and enjoyed most. Although I have to say Kate Mosse books remain favourites.

Posted on 16 Dec 2012 10:16:22 GMT
G. Owens says:
Not a novel, but you can't talk about time-slip without at least mentioning
Timeslip: The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
I'm sure it's available elsewhere, just including the link for product details

or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Walked_Around_the_Horses
He Walked around the Horses by H Beam Piper - a short story. Not strictly speaking time slip, more dimensional slip, as the main character drops into a world where Napoleon didn't lose at Waterloo

or the all time classic
The House On The Strand (Virago Modern Classics)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 00:12:35 GMT
Linda Evans says:
Hi!
I've been trying to find a time-slip / time travel book that I read almost 20 years ago. I can't remember much about it - just that it had a profound effect on me at the time. Can anyone help? All I can remember is that it was set in both India and the UK, that the police(?) were somehow involved, that it includes a description of a statue of Buddha, but most importantly, it opens with someone entering a temple in India and ends with the same person watching himself doing this at the end! Does this ring any bells with anyone? I would be eternally grateful for any tips or suggestions. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 00:20:17 GMT
Fm Oshea says:
Sorry Linda not me have you googled? Might come up with something..

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 01:25:36 GMT
Linda Evans says:
Hi Oshea, I've Googled every possible keyword combination I can think of: time travel fiction, time-slip, set in India and UK/London, pre-1993, sci-fi time travel, etc etc. Even "sees self outside of temple" - But nothing! It's driving me crazy!!! :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 04:30:39 GMT
This sounds an awful lot like "The Airman", a story in the collection "Storm Damage", but I don't think the story dates back that far. Unless it went through a time-slip of its own ...

Posted on 15 Dec 2013 13:11:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2013 13:14:36 GMT
Chris says:
Unless it has its own meaning for works of fiction, I always understood time slip to mean travelling through time non-deliberately. Find the subject fascinating, but can't think of many books that fit this description.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2013 19:52:05 GMT
Fm Oshea says:
Can well imagine!

Posted on 15 Dec 2013 23:21:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2013 23:24:09 GMT
L. M. Wilson says:
Secsy.....Anya Seton - "Green Darkness" and I have to endorse Barbara Erskine's novels especially "Lady of Hay" and "Child of the Phoenix" to begin with. Another good one is James Michener's "The Source"

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2013 00:14:31 GMT
Chris says:
Your post was a long time ago, so you might never read this reply, but if you hadn't posted I might never have read replay. Absolutely loved it. Thanks.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  3 Jan 2010
Latest post:  19 Nov 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions