Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

poetry in motion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 51 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 Sep 2011 12:46:42 BDT
Ah don't, I'm like that with jokes and I used to do blummin' stand up.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2011 21:00:00 BDT
I Readalot says:
Not the Charge of the Light Brigade - I learned that one thanks to my older brother and then moved onto The Lady of Shalott - a bit of a poetry obsessed family I suppose.

Posted on 24 Sep 2011 22:05:51 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:07:15 GMT]

Posted on 24 Sep 2011 23:30:38 BDT
Dan Holloway says:
@I Readalot - I did the Romantics for A-level (or at leats Worsdworth, Coleridge, Keats, Blake) and liked it, but not the same way I fell in love with Eliot on the same course. I don't know why. Loved some Blake, and the Ancient Mariner, though

I have to agree with M Dowden. I'm most naturally drawn as a whole to the Beats, but The Raven is my absolute absolute favourite. The number of nights I sat on my own in my student rooms reading that aloud to myself :) And now we have a toy raven on our windowsill called Edgar Allan. and even a bust of Pallas! The only thing that would make the poem better is if the heroine wasn't named after a fabric conditioner!

Posted on 25 Sep 2011 12:42:34 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Dan....................lol!!! : )

Posted on 25 Sep 2011 16:06:20 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Today I was going through the freebies for the kindle, and currently there are a collection of Walt Whitman poems, and Paradise Lost available. I have got Whitman's poems, and a lovely hardback edition of Paradise Lost, but whilst these are free I have downloaded them. : )

Posted on 25 Sep 2011 18:01:52 BDT
My collection of poetry was first published in 1991 - the launch was one of the first big events my now husband and I did together, so it was a memorable occasion. It's called All Wrong Places, and I remember the editor at Literary Mouse Press - she was delighted with it (and with the sales!). Wonder where she is now.
Rights reverted to me after a while, and I re-published the volume myself last April. It looks very different now, and some of the poems had a bit of a jiggle (not much). Handsome little book - proud of it, selling for a song, of course. Worth it, perhaps, for those who like cynical, tongue-in-cheek observations of the human condition, and some subtle references (such as ee cummings and some Australian poets). Many of the poems were published in academic journals or awarded. You might like to have a look at All the Wrong Places - the ebook is cheap, the paperback is lightly illustrated.

Posted on 2 Oct 2011 21:55:08 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:07:20 GMT]

Posted on 2 Oct 2011 23:49:54 BDT
I published Verse for Ages as a tribute to a dear departed friend and colleague, Colleen Thatcher. We wrote and compiled it together before she succumbed to terminal illness. It contains some classical favourites as well as our own poems and several kindly donated by Martin Newell of the Sunday Express. Beautiful artwork for the cover designed by Linda Koperski.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2011 20:00:04 BDT
i love this poem!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2011 21:04:35 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:07:22 GMT]

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 07:48:45 BDT
Ethereal says:
I like it too. Have you seen the old poetry thread on this forum?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-forum/fiction/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?ie=UTF8&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx561Z9W7KQT5A&cdMsgID=Mx3OB3HYBOJER3X#Mx3OB3HYBOJER3X

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 10:31:19 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:07:22 GMT]

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 11:22:19 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:08:12 GMT]

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 19:20:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2011 19:23:00 GMT
One of my poems, Hope for a Safer Place, was accepted for the anthology, Stories of Strength, to raise money for disaster relief charities in the aftermath of the Katrina Hurricane disaster. The same poem was accepted for the anthology, Soul Feathers, to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. The poem can be seen here on Google search:

http://tinyurl.com/d7m6dvk

The book includes poems by Carol Ann Duffy, Bob Dylan, Maya Angelou, Benjamin Zephaniah, Sharon Olds, Leonard Cohen and Seamus Heaney.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 19:37:36 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:08:13 GMT]

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 21:04:02 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:08:14 GMT]

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 21:13:41 GMT
Sekine says:
I love poetry. I even did a blog post last week on whether poetry was dead. Good to see that it's still being kept alive by the cultured few.

The Turmoil Within

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011 22:03:28 GMT
Thanks Nigel! I'm not in the same class as you and any of the accomplished poets in the anthology. My poetry gives inspiration to anyone to have a go. My mother says that she doesn't know how I find the words, but if you look closely, the words are few and used over and over again. You are right, it is the way the simple words are put together that makes the poem powerful. Something everyone can achieve with a little thought.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 22:12:28 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:08:14 GMT]

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 22:29:29 GMT
Wow! Thank you so much. Yes, there is a huge amount of effort involved. Halfway through a novel, you wonder if you will have the staying power to finish it. When it all comes together finally and the last piece of the jigsaw slots into place, you feel certain that, had you to do it over again, you wouldn't make it to the end.

Your words are an inspiration, and I won't forget them.

Posted on 15 Dec 2011 04:58:35 GMT
Shelagh
Well done.
Poetry is hard to sell, but everyone ought to polish theirs up and have them available, especially now.
You might find you put it out at a very good time.

My collection of published and awarded poems was released by Literary Mouse Press in 1991. It was my first book. Big day. It was the first social event my husband and I did together - we had hardly known each other a month. Now we look back at the launch at the Perth Observatory with nostalgia. I have since re-released the book independently. All the Wrong Places The Kindle version is very cheap, but the paperback is lovely because it is lightly illustrated. Makes a good gift.

Posted on 15 Dec 2011 10:04:51 GMT
Blimey Shelagh, that's very cool.
Rosanne I have been toying with the idea of doing something with my poems... but they're sort of Betjamin, rhyming, old-fashioned type of things and I can't really see them finding a market. They are illustrated but they're humorous which is also a bit of a no-no. One day, maybe.

Cheers

MTM

Posted on 15 Dec 2011 11:11:50 GMT
I've been reading this thread with great interest, so could not resist the opportunity to tell you about Verse for Ages. This was originally written by myself and a dear friend and colleague and we had it simply printed for family and friends. But when she (Colleen) sadly died in 2008, I decided to publish it as a tribute to her. Yes, we did prefer rhyming poetry ~ hence the title. But each section on a different theme also contains some humour, protest, sad reflection, or simply a point of view. The book also contains some of our favourite classics and also (very kindly contributed) poems by Martin Newell of the Sunday Express.
Here's the back blurb which sums it all up:
This book is a celebration of life, especially one life in particular: that of an unsung hero and a very special lady-

Colleen Thatcher

"Poems, as we know, are quite hard to publicise
Unless you're a celebrity or have great big blue eyes!
Or if a well-known author you might have the luck to be
Then you'll find it easy, just like falling off a tree.

So my good friend and I have decided what to do.
We know that people like to read and like to write them too.
Filthy-rich and famous is not how we want to be.
We only want to pass them on to friends and family.

So we rooted through our files just to see what we had there.
The paperwork we found would have made a donkey swear.
We dusted off the cobwebs from the stuff we'd had for years
And found enough to keep you all in laughter, love and tears."

Poems, that is... Verses... Rhymes... Odes...
You name it, we've done it all - for ages.

This may be sung to the tune of 'Old Jed's Song' LOL

Beautiful cover design by Linda Koperski. This book will make a great little stocking-filler for almost anyone and is also on Kindle.
Merry Christmas to all poets, authors and readers xx

Posted on 20 Dec 2011 03:57:40 GMT
Frank Mundo says:
The Brubury Tales would also make a great Christmas gift for poetry lovers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  29 Aug 2011
Latest post:  11 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions