Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Books about Spain: recommendations, please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-35 of 35 posts in this discussion
Posted on 17 Apr 2012 16:18:14 BDT
Anita says:
Spoiling my own thread, now, that's kind of stupid. I'd still like some more recommendations, if anyone's willing to contribute

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:30:12 BDT
V Pryce says:
One of the most entertaining books I have read is "Driving over lemons" by Chris Stewart, a former drummer of Genesis. It is about his mad purchase of a mountain farm in Andalucia and life with peasant farmers and shepherds. There is much insight into rural spanish life and a lot of humour.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:33:08 BDT
V Pryce says:
One of the most entertaining books I have read is "Driving over lemons" by Chris Stewart, a former drummer of Genesis. It is about his mad purchase of a mountain farm in Andalucia and life with peasant farmers and shepherds. There is much insight into rural spanish life and a lot of humour.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 19:42:13 BDT
gille liath says:
It's a strange kind of guessing game I'm having to play here. I gather from Monica's post that the comment you took offence at was not the one I thought. What would be the best word to describe posting accusations about someone, then deleting them before they have a chance to reply? A bit...rude?

I did not of course intend to imply that the people mentioned are primitive, backward or whatever; just that they are among the most ancient, known, continuous cultures. That's something for them to be proud of, if anything.

'Pelasgian', by the way, was the Ancient Greeks' word for the people who inhabited Greece before their arrival - by extension, the pre-Indo-European people of Europe.

Sorry if you feel this is spoiling your thread, but I think it's only fair to give someone an opportunity to justify themselves. And it's goodnight from me...

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 20:35:10 BDT
Palinuro says:
Easily the best recent book about Spain is Michael Jacobs' brilliant literary pilgrimage 'Between Hopes and Memories'. Quirky, erudite but always immensely readable, it takes you to parts of Spain no tourist ever reaches (Albacete, caga y vete) and makes you wish you were there. Jacobs engages with people as well as places and no other book about Spain gives such insights into exactly why Spain is different.

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 20:35:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2012 20:47:16 BDT
monica says:
Oh for flip's sake come on, lads. Just as you said nothing derogatory, there were no accusations in deleted post (which didn't in fact explain what in your post caused offense). There was ample warning of deletion, which shouldn't matter anyway. And Anita accused herself ,not you , of spoiling the thread, which she didn't in fact do. Would you lot not just put it down to, as I suggested, a misunderstanding between languages/cultures, and leave it? I would hate for either of you to feel rankled, and over so slight a matter.

I have racked my brains for a general survey sort of book re Spain with no success. Then I wondered about same for other countries, and realised that most books I've read that treat generally of a culture don't really do so: they're either travel books, snapshots with some background information, or humour books, a la Those Crazy Dutch! I wonder if an anthology of contemporary Spanish short stories might serve as well. If you think it might, I'll have a search for the one I have & give you the title . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 20:51:15 BDT
Anita says:
Sorry, gille liath, I kept it all day and had no idea you haven't read it. It was definitely not an accusation, it was an explanation, or at least I think so. Ask Monica, if you do not believe me, but I did say that you had meant no offence, and it's well possible that I overreacted (I haven't made a copy of my post, of course). No hard feelings on my side. Hopefully neither on yours. Good night. Well, good morning, in case you read it tomorrow

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 20:53:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2012 21:15:34 BDT
Anita says:
You kind of jumped me, Monica :)

P. S. I'm not so sure about short stories, we have some in Lithuanian, so I doubt my daughter would read Spanish literature in English. She's more interested in the country in general, and books of the kind are virtually unavailable in translation here

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 21:09:51 BDT
Anita says:
Thanks for suggestions, folks. I think Monica has a point. If there were one book, some general survey, perhaps I would not be asking for advice. Anyway, most of suggestions do look interesting. I think that Catalonia would not be a priority though

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 21:17:31 BDT
gille liath says:
Nae bother. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
421 23 Dec 2014
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 271 4 days ago
Let's write a story in the fiction forum - Keywords: collaborative fiction cooperative writing writers block creative writing practice joint story making world building 328 18 days ago
Fiction forum - chat and discussion thread 719 25 days ago
What are you reading now, list and chat 526 19 Dec 2016
Girl on the Train - overhyped ? 1 17 Dec 2016
Vague description - want to find the book... 13 16 Dec 2016
Help needed to remember a book title 1 1 Dec 2016
Can't review books if you live together... 1 30 Nov 2016
Spy thriller recommendations to share ? 0 29 Nov 2016
Gripping, Unputdownable Book Needed 1 29 Nov 2016
Soviet invasion of Scotland 20 7 Nov 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  14 Apr 2012
Latest post:  17 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers