Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

What are you reading now?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4476-4500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 16:11:00 BDT
I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks - my favourite Disney film, closely followed by Robin Hood.
As for the Wizard of Oz, I have a copy of the book, have not read it, but love the film. I plan to read it, along with many others (The Sword In The Stone for example) to my future kids. And then I get to watch the films again too.

Posted on 29 Aug 2012 15:59:49 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Thanks monica, I will have to look those books up. Yes, he apparently liked little girls. In the introduction to the edition I've got it says about it, but it also goes into his life and how he was brought up. I'm not saying it is okay, but different cultures and different times shows how such things were quite common in certain places.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 13:39:52 BDT
monica says:
That's one I'm of a mind to read again. You might like his Prince Zaleski stories, as well. Shiel was an interesting character: He was supposedly the ruler of an island and, as I lately learned on Wiki, had an unsavoury secret that somehow remained undisclosed for many years . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 11:52:21 BDT
M. Dowden says:
Tracy Sinclair - I used to have a girlfriend that if we were both off on the weekend it seemed very long. I wonder who she hassles now? : )

Currently reading 'The Purple Cloud', a 1901 last man on Earth story. Only a short way into it so far, but you have to wonder how many porkies the narrator has told.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 10:20:45 BDT
Carcaro, then you will enjoy this! It is also quite enlightening about the original book, Oliver Twist. Interested to hear what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 10:17:13 BDT
carocaro says:
Thanks Charles, will give it a go. I spent a few hours in the old Courthouse at Beaumaris last week, looking at old records, crime versus punishment. Lass of 15 took a chemise and petticoat and was sent to seven years transportation to Australia. Chances were she wouldn't survive the journey. If the value had been three pence more she could have faced hanging. Then a 17 year old who claimed he only rode the horse home was convicted of stealing it and hung for his crime. A child of 8 who stole food was sentenced to five years on the prison reform ship. He had no family and had taken food as he was starving. Lots on smuggling and deliberately enticing and breaking of ships onto rocks. One with over 400 lives lost. The Judge found four not guilty...friends of local gentry. Who you know eh?

Posted on 29 Aug 2012 09:27:02 BDT
The Long Weekend

Sounded good. And so far it is.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 09:22:40 BDT
Caracaro, the timeline, background, some characters are historically accurate (Dodger, of course, isn't) but the book examines the penal system and transportation of criminals to the colonies in a quite extraordinary way. After reading it I was surprised to find out that it was written as a teen novel. You could have fooled me. Should you try it, you will love Dodger's "voice".

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 09:18:21 BDT
carocaro says:
Thanks Charles, as in historically accurate fiction or as in the real character story was based on?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 08:48:28 BDT
Caracaro, try reading Dodger in Oz, the true story of what happened to the Artful Dodger after Fagin was hanged at Newgate and he was tried and sentenced for stealing a snuff box. Great stuff! Historically accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 08:25:58 BDT
carocaro says:
hi gille, One of 58 says, I enjoy the digressions and interaction too mainly but also occasionally pick up an idea for reading material. Or I've read something good and see someone after something similar...trouble is not so many read my chosen genres or won't admit to it;-)
Still I post good and warn of awful if really awful.
I haven't read books linked to musicals M.Dowden bar Oliver/Oliver Twist. However, seen many musicals and enjoyed on stage and screen. Best stage one I thought I'd hate but loved it was The Lion King. Acting and costume are superb. Screen, I enjoyed Bedknobs and Broomsticks too. Go on gille spill:)

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 23:30:07 BDT
M. Dowden says:
sparkle1, it is really good. I must admit my favourite is probably Bedknobs and Broomsticks, but I have never read the book.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 22:38:12 BDT
sparkle1 says:
I've never seen The Wizard of Oz.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 22:20:25 BDT
gille liath says:
That did occur to me after posting - alas, too late...

To try and redeem the situation: generally speaking I do hate musicals, but there are a few I liked as a kid and haven't grown out of. I'd better not say which ones - it would only make things worse.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 22:17:49 BDT
M. Dowden says:
I've got The Wizard of Oz, but I must admit that it hasn't got any illustrations. I love the film though, more than the book. Should I say that being a man? If you admit to liking a musical someone always thinks you must be that way inclined. : )

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 21:59:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2012 22:21:09 BDT
gille liath says:
Generally speaking, I don't give a flying flip what others are reading; so I assume they don't really want to hear what I'm reading either. I don't really get threads like this, and I'm only here for the digressions.

Besides, you know I just read the same dozen books in rotation...

EDIT: And yet, I just noticed this is tracked by 58 people. Why???

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 21:51:16 BDT
kat says:
50 shades of grey.. hooked even though written bad
read time to play

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 21:50:04 BDT
kat says:

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 21:44:02 BDT
monica says:
Nor was I keen till I got this edition. The thoroughly wonderful & wondrous artwork makes the text seem better, though most children who hadn't been allowed to assume that Hollywood films offer a *real* story would almost certainly enjoy the story itself. (Reason I specified eighth b'day is that illustrations might be too disturbing for a younger child.)

One can't but notice that you have yet to include answer to 'What are you reading now?' in your posts . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 21:24:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2012 21:25:09 BDT
gille liath says:
I'm not so keen on the book, from what I can remember. I love the film, though. I watched it yesterday with my kids - first time for them. They were absolutely transfixed: not bad for something 70-odd years old.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 20:14:45 BDT
monica says:
Am reading The Hidden Force (Quartet Encounters) and Tank Too. But I want to put in a word for the book I read before beginning these: L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz. Baum's story is charming, though not always deftly written, and I spent at least as much time poring over Rawle's illustrations as I did actually reading. If I ruled the world, parents would be obliged by law to give each of their children this book on its eighth birthday . . .

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 11:16:33 BDT
carocaro says:
Jan have you seen the thread plenty of good recommendations.
Elli Fitz has written two romances which are far better than the price suggests. Some eroticism, strong female characters and Dawn by the River (The River Quartet) is enchanting while Dark by the River (The River Quartet) has a fearful warning of how some women are traded...also a romance by the end.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 10:39:23 BDT
Jan Vance says:
I have just finished The Secret Life of Girls, my third Chloe Thurlow novel. She writes romantic erotica with strong characters and great stories. I would recommend them and am now searching for writers who write the same sort of books. Any suggestions welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 08:23:44 BDT
Ms Spicer, how right you are! I'm a writer whose style was heavily influenced by Fowler's End, Gerald Kersh, which I read in the 60s, memories of which have often been trawled up in the intervening half century. Bought it the other day and couldn't finish it.
Robin Edwards

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 00:38:42 BDT
Jacquie says:
I'm now reading RIP TIDE by Stella Rimington. Very good so far. MI-5 trying to focus in on piracy of ships off Somalia. She will have a new book in this series coming out in October called THE GENEVA TRAP.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Important Announcement from Amazon.UK
421 23 Dec 2014
Let's write a story in the fiction forum - Keywords: collaborative fiction cooperative writing writers block creative writing practice joint story making world building 320 15 hours ago
Fiction forum - chat and discussion thread 714 15 hours ago
Books set in France? Suggestions welcome! 76 20 days ago
Science-Fiction Action novel (Ebook and print book) and short stories for children 0 27 days ago
Fiction in historical Scotland 0 25 Sep 2016
Can't review books if you live together... 0 23 Sep 2016
Georgette Heyer Alternatives 260 19 Sep 2016
A Word Game ... 591 15 Sep 2016
Recommendations for older chick lit please? 0 11 Sep 2016
book giveaway! bitter defeat for free! 0 9 Sep 2016
Limerick and Poem creation thread 609 9 Sep 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  2097
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  25 Dec 2009
Latest post:  3 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 66 customers