Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Nobody reads on the loo do they ? not really - and yet so many people have books in the loo !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jun 2013 21:44:21 BDT
I don't understand why anyone would linger, reading...while what ? they were waiting for something to happen ? Eat more veg and roughage people - then you won't be straining and waiting in there...it can't be good for a person. Too much eggs and red meat probably bungs people up so much so that have to sit there....reading...then there are piles of mags and humorous books in some peoples loos - I mean yuk ! its not very hygienic...no people really sit and read....

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2013 22:40:05 BDT
Chris says:
Suppose all that reading material means you'll never have one of those horror moments where you realise half way through that there's no bog roll.

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 22:52:24 BDT
One of my ex-boyfriends easily spend 45 min on the seat. He read, smoked, and drank beer there. One of the reasons for him to be 'ex'.

Me, I'd rather read on the roof, in the sun, with a nice glass of wine, surrounded by the smell of herbs.

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 23:16:38 BDT
Marion Stein says:
Reading on the loo could be very important. I could now "spoil" a certain great American television series that will be debuting its final 8 episodes in the US this summer in order to give you a sample of how. Let's just say that was how after 5 season, a certain character had an "ah ha" moment after seeing something in a book whilst on the loo.

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 23:57:04 BDT
Mrs P says:
As a Librarian I can assure you that lots of people do indeed read on the loo. I have seen plenty of books returned bearing the physical proof...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 08:12:49 BDT
JW says:
Mrs P - forgive me but, in the context of this thread, you name has set me off with the giggles! There was a similar thread to this when I first found this forum, about four years ago - I'll see if I can find it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 08:47:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jun 2013 08:48:32 BDT
TomC says:
Mrs P

I have always maintained that librarians are not paid nearly enough for the job they do. Your post amply confirms this.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 09:27:46 BDT
Ethereal says:
I've seen an old thread here where some people will only buy pristine books because with second-hand you never know where they've been ... I'd be charitable and assume a stain was chocolate.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 09:31:50 BDT
Mrs P says:
Books come back covered with a wide variety of stains, in all colours and textures - we go through a lot of hand sanitiser, that's all I need to say...

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 11:41:00 BDT
R. A. Caton says:
I'd heard of bacon and a fried egg being used for bookmarks - dear Lor' I hope that's brown sauce over there....

Listen, it's only on the can you can read without being told to put the book down and get busy.... and now with mobile phones they can even disturb you there.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 12:25:09 BDT
When the kids were small there were 7 of them and the only peace I ever got was in the toilet, i could have 15 minutes to myself to read in the bathtub before someone banged on the door wanting in. That's the one drawback of the kindle, you can't read it in the bath.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 12:35:12 BDT
Gross! But to be expected, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 12:37:22 BDT
My friend, mother of seven, too, says the same. But she's writing in the bathroom. (She's an author.) Says exactly the same: only time when she can get some peace for ten minutes.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 15:42:07 BDT
angelao says:
I read my kindle in the bath.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 17:16:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jun 2013 17:27:38 BDT
LEP says:
For some people it's the only quiet space and spare moments that they have to read in. I always read whilst in the bath and do my best not to get the book soggy.

When I left school many moons ago, I worked in a public library in a very poor part of a city. The children's books in particular always came back in a very poor, smelly, dirty condition, or chewed by the dog. We used to sanitise the covers, salvage those we could and discard the others. The up-side was that at least those children had free access to books and presumably read them.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 17:39:37 BDT
Mrs P says:
I agree wholeheartedly with regards the children's books, you don't expect them to stay pristine and kids don't care if they are a bit grubby, as long as they are reading!

Some adults though, I would hope to show a little more care, everyone has accidents with books, I certainly have, and I wouldn't mind if they own up, not just shove it in the returns bin covered in curry...

and I will own up - I have 2 kids so sometimes I take myself off to the smallest room to try and get some peace, they generally find me very quickly though :)

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 17:50:19 BDT
I read there....in fact it's where I have my best ideas.

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 22:25:23 BDT
brian i have a friend who keeps an emergency ukulele in the toilet and he writes some of his songs in there.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2013 23:54:00 BDT
Marion Stein says:
I read an interview with Jeff Bezos where the interviewer brought up NOT being able to read from a Kindle in the bathtub, and Bezos said he did it all the time using a zip lock bag.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013 00:10:57 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Jun 2013 07:44:34 BDT]

Posted on 20 Jun 2013 12:43:47 BDT
If you're reading a paperback and you belatedly notice that the toilet roll has run out you have an option. A kindle is virtually useless under such circumstances.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2013 13:46:59 BDT
R. A. Caton says:
I reckon a book of word puzzles or soduku is best for the loo -
any problems can be worked out with a pencil.

Posted on 20 Jun 2013 21:16:31 BDT
Micky says:
When I lived with my parents a few years back I constantly read in the loo. We had a bookshelf in the loo and I would just pick something random and start to read, then every time I went again I continued where I left off. I think I got through about 8 books before moving out.

Posted on 21 Jun 2013 21:17:56 BDT
carocaro says:
My Aunty B always paid a subscription for Reader's Digest for the year as my Christmas present. They have a shelf in the upstairs and downstairs loo. Everyone reads them but only in loos or bathroom.
When I was a child we had an enormous airing cupboard and at the bottom in plastic bags were spare pillows...and a hidden book. When bedtime came round I used to go to the loo...my parents always remarked on my habits going by the clock, every night at 7:25. Bedtime was 7:30 and I always came back out after a chapter (Enid Blyton). I would get a pillow, my book and sit by the radiator and read in peace for around 15-20 mins.
When an adult I told Mom, she laughed and said she knew...she did it too to get away from us and Dad did his crossword puzzle there too:)

Posted on 22 Jun 2013 20:30:22 BDT
disturbing stuff...dark materials indeed : well as a medical practitioner in his declining years I have to say its not right....you go to the loo, do the relevant business and move on. Lingering in such a situation must wreak havoc with the subtle rhythms of the bowels...no. Stop it.

and the stuff about kindles in the loos, not to mention soiled books being returned to librarys...ah no no no, this will not do.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  18 Jun 2013
Latest post:  15 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions