Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fiction discussion forum

Underrated novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 Jan 2013 02:04:41 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Jan 2015 12:39:45 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 21:13:01 BDT
Ian Scott says:
Suddenly I don't feel so alone :-)

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 20:15:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 20:17:16 BDT
Any of the novels by the actor and writer, Antony Sher (particularly 'Cheap Lives' and 'The Feast', which I reviewed on here). Beautifully written, vital concerns and unfairly neglected.

Oh, and I second Alasdair Gray!

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 13:17:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Oct 2012 18:07:13 BDT
Louise.A says:
No Passage Landward

Anita, I also very much enjoyed An Accident Waiting To Happen. It is a simple story beautifully framed in its humanity and believable characters (I liked the way the father wasn't portrayed as being perfect, especially in his interactions with authority). Of similar ilk is No Passage Landward above. Another down to earth, touching book with no pandering to the mass market. Full of warmth and sincerity and another father struggling with his own weaknesses. Do you know of any others (books not fathers)?

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 20:57:27 BDT
Anita says:
An Accident Waiting to Happen

Well - it's not a masterpiece. Just a little beautiful book. A story of a father and his young son who is not really his son, who is about to be taken away from his adoptive father when his mother disappears. Very real in this day of paranormal, vampires and such. Emotional, but not sentimental. With a happy ending that is *not* happy ending at all.

I just liked it...

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 16:53:49 BDT
Ian Scott says:
1982, Janine by Alasdair Gray is amazing, but I've never met anyone else who reads him. He's the one writer I've always scanned the 'new arrivals' shelf for with hope in my heart whenever I've wandered into a book shop for 30 years now. His novel Lanark is also a bit special.

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 11:06:14 BDT
I Readalot says:
Anything by Graham Joyce, although several of his books are out of print 'Silent Land', 'Tooth Fairy' and 'Some Kind of Fairy Tale' are available in book form as well as some of his others on Kindle.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 22:24:50 BDT
Hippystick says:
I've recently discovered Arnold Bennett's Tales Of The Five Towns, excellent writing.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 12:08:30 BDT
Agree Fair Stood The Wind for France (HE Bates I seem to remember?) is brilliant, as is Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household - a fantastic thriller that will keep you gripped from beginning to end.

Posted on 27 May 2012 10:45:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2012 11:34:49 BDT
M. Dowden says:
I hope you like it. He was immensely popular in his day. Have a good holiday. : )

Posted on 26 May 2012 20:12:54 BDT
M Dowden, if I'm not mistaken I'm sure you recommended W H Ainsworth's book Old St Paul's in a previous thread. The only reason this has clicked with me is that when you previously mentioned him I was out shopping the next day and found a hardback copy of Old St Paul's in a charity shop and had to purchase it, call it fate or something. As I'm on holiday on Monday and you've mentioned Ainsworth again I think that is one of my holiday reads sorted. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2012 12:14:01 BDT
LEP says:
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - 2 versions of the 1996 version are available on DVD from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 16:19:18 BDT
Fair Stood the Wind for France is one of the most fantastic books I ever read.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:42:52 BDT
M. Dowden says:
ajk77, funny you should mention Adam Bede. I looked to see if there was free version I could download to my kindle. I didn't read the reviews but was surprised to see the overall star rating. Personally I think it is fantastic (along with everything else she wrote).

W H Ainsworth is often overlooked these days, although he never used to be.

Posted on 25 May 2012 10:20:03 BDT
Andrew says:
'Love Act' by ME Austen

And anything written by HE Bates. . . . .

Posted on 24 May 2012 01:45:21 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:51:33 BDT
ajk77 says:
I suggest Mrs Gaskell's novels especially 'North and South' and 'Mary Barton',
Disraeli's Sybil, George Eliot's 'Adam Bede' and 'Daniel Deronda', Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter', Theodor Fontane's 'Effi Briest' and possibly Flora Thompson: Lark Rise to Candleford

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 17:16:33 BDT
L C Martin says:
Hello there Sakura, I think I might have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, or at least heard of it, but as you can see I'm not sure so that does prove your point doesn't it, that most people aren't as aware of it as of those otheres. Maybe I'll hunt round for it and see.

Another one might be Hard Times by Charles Dickens. Or maybe not?

Hang on, was the tenant a woman who had left her husband? Tell me!

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 20:20:20 BDT
MLJ says:
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is, for me, up there with Jane Eyre and Villette. I love the raw power of the storytelling and the clarity with which Helen's experiences are told. A really stirring read and a very rewarding one.

Posted on 14 Apr 2012 16:06:50 BDT
Rising, R.C. Hutchinson

Mr Weston's Good Wine, T.F. Powys

The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, Brian Moore

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012 12:46:46 BDT
LEP says:
The Tenant......... has been on TV years ago.

Initial post: 13 Apr 2012 21:38:53 BDT
I read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte recently and was completely blown away, and surprised as to why I had barely heard of it when both Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, by her sisters, are so famous and have been adapted for film / TV/ stage so many times.

Does anyone else thought this about similarly overlooked masterpieces?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fiction discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fiction discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  13 Apr 2012
Latest post:  29 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions