Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > fashion discussion forum

Clothing for Tall Women

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 235 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 11:10:35 BDT
M says:
Hi everyone have any of your thought of tailoring your own clothes I mean i do that there are asian shops in the uk that do that too you buy your own material and give in the design .... u can buy as much material as you like according to ur height and can be stiched for u there are many designs i have put up on www.pakistandesigners.com feel free to browse... I wasn't so much into fashion till i came abroad but seeing the designs its incredible all the colours

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 11:11:01 BDT
M says:
Hi everyone have any of your thought of tailoring your own clothes I mean i do that there are asian shops in the uk that do that too you buy your own material and give in the design .... u can buy as much material as you like according to ur height and can be stiched for u there are many designs i have put up on www.pakistandesigners.com feel free to browse... I wasn't so much into fashion till i came abroad but seeing the designs its incredible all the colours

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 11:39:03 BDT
At R Irvine... That's ok if you like skirts and shorts or are skinny enough that vests and skinny tshirts are ok but not so good if you are 'larger' as well as taller! I wear trousers or jeans 96% of the time and find that body length as well as sleeve length can be a problem with tops and I foot see how your suggestion really works there!! Do we go around in skimpy tops and shirts in winter?? I'm Scottish so really would prefer a nice pair of cosy long trousers!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 15:37:33 BDT
R. Irvine says:
Miss Shona Bays, I never mentioned wearing skinny t-shirts or vests. I was talking about dressing for your shape rather than for your height. You will have a certain body shape and there are shops/retailers that cater for that shape. Every woman's body is different, I was just giving suggestions on how tall woman could think about clothes. Thinking about my body shape instead of my height has massively helped me overcome dysfunctional dressing. I buy clothes that balance my body out and highlight my best features.

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 16:27:53 BDT
fussycatdoll says:
Hi girls...wow I never thought that so many girls/ladies have problems with buying stuff in UK. I am 5.11ft and I always manage to buy a nice stuff fo rmyself. TBH I never bougth anything in Dorothy P. as I find it a bit pricey for the quality and not really the biggest fan. I always pop into TK Maxx and I never leave with empty bag ;o) I am size 10 though so might be easier, but yes I do have long legs and sometimes find it hard to get a pair of trousers. Last time I bought pair of superb grey jeans in Killah shop (and another 5 items). I am a massive leggins fan and Topshop never let me down. But TKM is my fav....

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 20:02:01 BDT
I am tall and bigged boned and regular sizes are a nightmare, I am 45 but still like to be stylish but don't want to have to be wearing mini dresses with pants all the time just because most the dresses I end with are mini on me. I got a pay pal account and get alot of stuff from the US they really do cater well for different sized people over there.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 21:00:05 BDT
Miss laver says:
I was going to tell everyone abour tallgirls, the only problem is their prices are high.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 09:29:08 BDT
R. Irvine says:
fussycatdoll....I completely agree with you. I'm over 6ft, and like you I have no problems finding fashionable clothes on the high street that still fit. I can't understand why some woman go to the extreme of having clothes custom made from them, or going to foreign countries to buy their clothes.

Posted on 2 May 2012 17:10:55 BDT
The only way things will change is for you to write..... not to the stores but to the manufacturers. Why do you think there are pretty bras for women above the B cup? At one time the C cup was considered too large to bother with... But look now and see what you can find. Why do you think there is now a plethora of footwear in all manner of styles in wide and extra wide fittings instead of those styles only for the elderly??? Because I and others like me wrote and wrote and wrote to these manufacturers opening their eyes
to a huge untapped market. The same with clothing of all kinds. These days almost everything is made in China, and until they were informed about the differences between a European body build and an Asian one everything was tiny. The ball is very much in your
court. Don't send emails, send a proper letter. All companies want to make money... give them the chance to do so.

Posted on 7 May 2012 10:46:18 BDT
Siany says:
Finding trousers for me has always been a problem. I'm lucky in the fact that I can wear any 'normal' size top but I need the 36'' trousers when i wear heels (which is pretty much all the time). I've just stumbled upon a website called Tall and All. The material isn't amazing BUT you can choose the length of your trousers and skirts - this has been a godsend for me. It isn't as pricey as LTS either.
I have never tried Tall Girls but will give them a go.

Posted on 8 May 2012 02:59:38 BDT
JUDY says:
Well, my son is 6ft 2ins and he has problems finding clothes to fit him. He is 38-40 inch chest and inside leg is 34 in. Yet today he went to Primark to buy a tailored shirt for work and when he tried it on, the sleeves were almost 3/4 length on him. He hates buying hoodies/tops because the sleeves are never long enough and they tend to shrink in the wash which makes the sleeves seem shorter. Guess what, I have to make him a shirt so that he has the correct sleeve length which btw is 26 1/2 inches. Most young men say they have to buy a much bigger size to compensate for the length of sleeves or the length of trousers....

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 10:57:03 BDT
A. Turner says:
At 6ft I totally agree with you all - why don't manufacturers make short, medium and tall just as they make different widths. Think of all those inches of hems Miss 5ft cuts off which we could do with! There is just as much difference in length as width between the tallest and the shortest and the thinest and the fattest but, of course, it is all down to mass markets and profits not providing a service to customers.
I would just settle for some classic, neat clothes. long-legs!

Posted on 10 May 2012 12:47:38 BDT
Tallgirls.co.uk is worth a look.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 13:13:11 BDT
I have to add that whilst I agree with R. Irvine one will look their best if they dress for their shape, there is quite a big difference between 'dressing for shape' and 'dressing for dimensions'. The reality is that if you're 6ft tall, you can't just pick up a pair of trousers in any high street shop (regardless of whether they happen to be a cut that would suit your shape) because fundamentally you're going to need a 36 inch inside leg not a 30 inch one.

If you dress for your shape then you'll know that for the most part well cut clothing will be most flattering. If you buy well cut clothing that is not made to account for your dimensions (i.e. in this case your height), then it is not much better than just buying clothing that is not designed for your shape. This is because tall clothing isn't just about adding a few inches to hems. When clothing is cut for a taller person it involves moving the elbow and knee positions and dropping the bust, waist and hip positions as well.

This is why, R. Irvine, quite a lot of people buy from tall ranges and have garments made: it's the most effective way of dressing for your shape.

Posted on 10 May 2012 13:17:47 BDT
Thanks for the info on Top Shop...just bought my daughter a pair of jeans and 2 pairs of trendy leggings online that ACTUALLY fit. The choice isn't huge BUT they do have 36" inside leg and trendy stuff. It's the only place I have found coloured jeans that fit her. She is over the moon. At £40 for a pair of jeans for a 14 year old they aren't cheap but they also aren't as extortionate as some of the other shops.

Posted on 15 May 2012 20:10:46 BDT
Gemma Ward says:
I am 5ft10.. and found this pashmina scarf/shawl from the seller foolsfashion which looked great for a woman of my height. Usually the scarf are squares in the shops but this is 70cm x 200cm and goes great for a woman of my height.. You will also get a free scarf which is good and all this for £29.59......

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 22:44:51 BDT
swinton owls says:
Hi i am 6ft tall myself why don't all us tall people write to all our stores and complain and asking why they don't do a range of fashionable tall clothing at the minute i am writing to New look and complaining.

Posted on 25 May 2012 08:06:58 BDT
Veyland says:
As a tall bloke Next is probably the best as far as mens clothes go. Not in store though! They never have the sizes in store for some reason. I always go in, see what i like, then go online to get my size. Don't know if it's the same for women, but it may be worth checking out.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 08:51:30 BDT
fussycatdoll says:
Depends how tall are you. To dress a guy it's not a big problem unless I are like 6.6ft plus. Tall and mighty have stuff but they seem to be overpriced unless on sale... And again Tk Maxx helps.:o)

Posted on 26 May 2012 11:25:00 BDT
A customer says:
I really struggle with trousers. I'm 5ft 10ins and my height is in my legs rather than my body. I found buying men's trousers/jeans to fit better in terms of length but I'm quite pear shaped in the hip/thigh region with a small waist so they tend to gape. I like goth clothes and long skirts but they can be more calf length, but Kate's Clothing and Dangerous FX seem to fit quite well. And above the knee skirts are obscene! However, the biggest problem is hosiery. I have to buy the really big sizes in tights and stockings otherwise they don't go past my knees. There are taller people in this discussion forum, and I wonder how they fare. My inside leg is 36 inches. Any advice on tights/stockings that are extra long would be great please.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 00:53:26 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 27 May 2012 01:01:38 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 00:54:33 BDT
C. L. Yeo says:
Next have a fab collection of tall clothing. Just bought a maxi dress and was so long I have had to get it shortened (never happened before)!!

Posted on 29 May 2012 13:45:11 BDT
Abs says:
Hi, I'm only sixteen and I'm 5'10" and I'm still growing! I'm usually a size 10/12 and I find it quite hard to find fashionable clothes for me to wear, but after looking around a lot of the shops I've found that Fat Face seem to be pretty good and some areas of Topshop. I also have a big problem with shoes since I'm a size 9, going on 10, so for those I often have to go back to New Look! I'm also pretty big boned meaning that a lot of slim fitting things don't fit me, thanks to my mum I got her rugby player shoulders which look a little odd on me! I often find in clothing I have to go up to a 14 so things are long enough for me, unfortunately that means that most of my clothes are really baggy on me.
I never knew so many other people had the same problem as me!

Posted on 3 Jun 2012 22:53:03 BDT
Rach88 says:
I'm 23years old and 5ft9 with 34inch inside leg but tend to go for 36inch for comfort. I have a weird body shape, well i say weird, im a size 14top and 16/18 bottom and struggle to find dresses or skirts, but trousers are just as much of an issue.
I've managed to find 1 maxi dress that is perfect, it floats on the ground in flats and skims the floor in heels, Brought from ebay but they are no longer trading.
I've previously brought jeans from DP but stopped as they never had the style i was after, i've brought my last 2 pairs from Asda perfect fit and perfect length. But tried on a maxi dress from asda and it came up to my shins.
Pj's are another issue, the trousers always come up to my shins, not good when it's cold.
Now summer is upon us, i would love to wear a maxi skirt on those sometimes hot days but don't want it floating around my ankles.
looking online is fine but it's know the exact length, half the time it says long, well what do they class as long?
I'm also like many of you on a tight budget.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 12:42:04 BDT
Linavit says:
As i am 6.1 myself, i share the same problems. I used to love Zara, but recently i see the trousers length is not as it used to be. Do you find the same?
I live in another EU country now, and here people are quite tall, yet, the same problem here also, mass production is aimed at not so tall people.
But as I know quite a few local manufacturers and designers of clothes myself, maybe it's a good business idea (have been looking for one :)))) if it will work out, i will be so thankful to this group!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the fashion discussion forum (58 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  fashion discussion forum
Participants:  116
Total posts:  235
Initial post:  16 Feb 2012
Latest post:  30 Sep 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 44 customers

Search Customer Discussions