Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > drama discussion forum

Iain Cuthbertson RIP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Nov 2010 16:29:40 GMT
Linda Howell says:
Hello Mary, I also have found these tributes to Iain very late in the day; but I'd like to add a note of my admiration for one of our finest actors. He lifted every drama to which he contributed.I always made a point of watching anything in which I knew he was participating. Like others, my favourite was 'Sutherland's Law', we never missed it- wonderful memories for me of close times with my parents, now both gone. Even when playing 'baddies', he always seemed a gentle giant and oh that voice! A totally convincing actor; they don't make them like him anymore. I do hope that the affection felt by so many of his 'fans' has been of some comfort to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2010 14:08:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2010 16:52:38 GMT
James Wright says:
i am so sorry this is so late just found this link
there are no words of comfort for your loss janet
big iain was a superb actor adam faith was maybe the star of budgie but it was iain show my favourite though was the brilliant sutherlands law a part he totally excelled in programmes like this we will never see again or actors like iain again

Posted on 13 Nov 2009 10:51:49 GMT
Mr. J. Reyes says:
A very sad loss not only to you and your family but also to world of television and stage. I'll never forget Charlie Endell as it's part of my teenage years. Mr Cuthbertson always gave me the feeling that he was a very warm man with a great sense of humour hidden behind those heavies that he played so well. RIP - big fella.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2009 10:51:06 GMT
Mr. J. Reyes says:
A very sad loss not only to you and your family but also to world of television and stage. I'll never forget Charlie Endell as it's part of my teenage years. Mr Cuthbertson always gave me the feeling a very warm man with a great sense of humour hidden behind those heavies that he played so well. RIP - big fella.

Posted on 11 Nov 2009 11:15:10 GMT
I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss Mary, not just to you personally but to the acting world. I loved Charlie Endell, he was magnificently villainous and the Scottish lilt to his voice added to the menace! I just loved him, anything he was in was worth watching. My thoughts are with you at this sad time for you.

Posted on 10 Nov 2009 15:10:20 GMT
I'm sorry for your loss Janet

Posted on 10 Nov 2009 10:41:03 GMT
Charlie Endell in Budgie.Tailor made for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2009 09:24:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2009 22:56:51 GMT
A. E. Gazley says:
Hello Mary, My heart felt condolences to you on your loss. Iain came across as a lovely modest man, such a loss. I first saw him in Sutherlands Law and have followed his career since then. I love listening to his readings of Robbie Burns poems. Living in New Zealand, I unfortunately never saw him on Stage. Would have loved to have seen him as Wallace.
I wish you well in the future. Annette

Posted on 28 Sep 2009 01:38:20 BDT
Thanks to everyone .....I am called Mary (my first name is Janet) and it so good to read that many people remember him. I would also like to add that Iain had a stroke which would have destroyed lesser men and the fact that he learned how to speak and act again ( albeit he was left with dysphasia for the remainder of his life) should be an inspiration to those many people who have suffered such a dreadful event. He was a very shy man with enormous strength of will and most of all, he was a man of total integrity ....I shall miss him ...Again, thank you to all who have posted here XX

Posted on 27 Sep 2009 13:00:24 BDT
AJ says:
For me, it will always be Children Of The Stones - A MASSIVE part of my childhood!!

I still enjoy catching up with it on DVD today and would recommend it to any one who enjoyed mid 70's British Sci Fi TV.
Really pleased Janet that you took part in this thread - You have added a degree of warmth and a personal touch all too often absent on Amazon's forums - my sincerest condolences.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2009 02:14:10 BDT
I am so very sorry to hear of Iain's passing. We have much to thank him for, we his audience.....for the gifts he gave us and for the pleasure we took in them. Always generous and magical, full of wonder and suprise, never stinting in his creativity and genius. A tremendous actor. I am unlikely to be contradicted. My deepest sympathy.
Daniel Kane.

Posted on 26 Sep 2009 21:27:47 BDT
To me: always the Scunner Campbell..respect xx

Posted on 26 Sep 2009 16:50:06 BDT
He was one of the great British character actors that I grew up watching on tv and at the cinema. I remember reading some years ago that he had a stroke, but I assume he recovered because he appeared in " Gorillas In The Mist " a few years later ( unless my ageing memory is playing tricks.....?)

He was great in " Budgie " and " Casting The Runes " and of course will always be remembered as the object of Jenny Agutters cry of " My Daddy! Oh my Daddy !" at the end of Lionel Jeffries classic " The Railway Children " - a film which our seven-year old granddaughter was recently captivated by when she watched it for the first time.

So sorry to hear of his passing. We recently lost John Bentley and Harry Towb too. None of these great characters can be replaced by todays bland soap-trained ' actors '.

Posted on 26 Sep 2009 13:29:51 BDT
I remember Budgie from when I was a kid. Later I always thought he would have made a great boss for Edward Woodward's Callan, but there was obviously much more to the man than playing heavy, sinister roles.

Janet C, please accept my belated condolensces to you and your family.

Posted on 25 Sep 2009 23:38:09 BDT
whiteside says:
I recollect Ians performance in M R James Casting of the runes to which he brought his sense of fun .To my mind there was a kind of benevolence that he radiated rather like his countryman Allistair Sim.

Posted on 25 Sep 2009 22:30:49 BDT
DJ Brown says:
Reading through I'm surprised nobody has mentioned supergran yet, he was a great comic villain in that cult show, maybe you had to grow up watching it to enjoy it! I really did love his performance in the Ribos Operation though, it was so full of humor and the interplay between Iain and Tom Baker was effortless, his performance is noted by Doctor Who fans as one of the best by a guest star. I'm really sorry that he has gone now

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2009 01:34:28 BDT
Hi Pismotality ...we have the record of 'Mac' ...it's absolutely great ....very funny .....great sense of humour ..he had to have. The stroke would have destroyed most men and he came back to act .. the courage that took is indescribable. Did you ever hear the Flashman play ....?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2009 22:47:32 BDT
Pismotality says:
What I shall remember most about his performances is that peculiarly Scottish sense of relish in his voice. If memory serves, he recorded Mack the Knife to great effect around the time of his popularity as Charlie Endell, and I also remember the way he enunciated some particularly bad pun on some long-forgotten Radio 4 play: the line (as in pharoahs) was "Cheops with everything." I have recently seen again the episode of Michael Palin's Ripping Yarns where he had to play some ridiculous role with absolute conviction - and it works brilliantly.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2009 16:40:29 BDT
Heartfelt sympathy, he was a tremendous actor. 'Budgie' was part of my early teen years, unforgettable series, Iain was an unforgettable actor too. I watched my copy of the Railway Children yesterday, it still makes me weep uncontrollably at the end - and I'm now in my 50s !
God bless X
Wayne

Posted on 23 Sep 2009 04:21:58 BDT
Our cat's called victor ....call sign in fact ...the name I use is Mary ...not Janet. Thanks for the kind remarks. Iain was proud of his Musgrave and his Wallace..and he reportedly did a magnificent Othello. He was also in a rather recherche 'Spirit of Man' by Peter Barnes ...Alan Rickman was in it too. I can't quite remember ..about 18 years ago and I've never seen a repeat (BBC I think) ..it was very good. He really enjoyed doing Garron with Tom Baker in Doctor Who ...in fact he REALLY enjoyed his work ...and his play ...... I'll miss him lots and lots.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2009 02:34:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2009 02:35:31 BDT
MR P DUNN says:
Victor and I hate to use your 1st name...this is totally uncalled for...you ought to be ashamed of yourself

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2009 02:31:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2009 02:32:07 BDT
MR P DUNN says:
heart felt sympathy in your loss Janet...I know he was acting but I think Charlie Endell may have been Iains favourite part?..tailormade for him...it's a cliche I know, but they don't make em like that anymore...this is not nostalgia it's a simple fact..the quality of acting/writing has largely disappeared...I gave up my T.V license for that very reason.
god bless
Peter

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 22:18:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2009 22:20:21 BDT
My condolancies to you Janet. Iain will certainly be sadly missed. I seem to remember him as one of the main characters in the early BBC series `Doctor Finlays Casebook`. Les.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2009 18:45:45 BDT
His wife Adam ...and he was the best ....on and off the screen ...but of course I'm prejudiced .....

Posted on 13 Sep 2009 21:46:40 BDT
Em says:
Sad news. No one did genial ruthlessness better - I'd love to have seen him do Big Ger Cafferty in the Rebus books (assuming they ever managed to find the right actor for Rebus, which they haven't yet). I
t's hard to believe that it's not far short of 40 years (aargh!) since he and Adam Faith made such a great couple in Budgie (whose co-writer, Keith Waterhouse, has sadly also just died).
It would have been fascinating to have seen his Othello, too.
Marcia
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the drama discussion forum (365 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  drama discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  8 Sep 2009
Latest post:  18 Nov 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions