Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > dance discussion forum

Trance Music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Nov 2009 19:10:44 GMT
Stu says:
I know it had it's hey day in 1998 - 2000 but recently I have been listening to a lot of trance lately and I think it's as strong as ever.

What are your thoughts

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2009 20:49:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Nov 2009 20:52:51 GMT
S. L. Mccann says:
I have just bought this cd (Platipus vol 1) off amazon this week. I originally had it back in 1997 'ish. It's good to go back to the 90's trance as it has an edge over modern so called dance/trance, something has made the cheese go mouldly somewhere. Just ordered Platipus vol 2 today (again), and if I remember right, this album did as the genre describes - true trance as modern music cannot touch.

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 03:57:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2009 01:53:13 GMT
Roland S. says:
Hey, forget all that 'Hay Days' baloney, great music is great music!! Why is that so many people, (especially the younger generations), are so bound up with all the latest nonsense even when it is complete and utter dross !! They need to wake up and open their minds to whats out there now and 'under exposed', and whats been around for however many years but is none the less great music!! Trance is just one genre of possibly many thats never been fully appreciated by the wider audience it deserves, with the mainstream media and radio stations in particular focusing on the tawdry end of the dance music scale!!

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 16:50:22 GMT
M. Courtney says:
I agree the trance from the 90's going into the early 00's is the best, with awseome DJ's such as Tiesto, Mauro Picotto, Armiin Van Buuren just to name a few... Awesome music!! It is one of the less recognised music genre's, around my area they have what they call old school gathering's for this type of music... there "spot on!" but why should it be called old school when the music that is played is so much better than the shlur thats produced these days.

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 18:23:33 GMT
TheFoe says:
An album that is worth checking out is Gus Gus v T- World or any Harthouse compilation.

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 18:46:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2009 23:09:56 GMT
a_burn says:
todays trance is not really 'trance'. i.e. 138-140 bpm bassline, epic breakdowns, and often some boring vocals. sure on a night out its brilliant to dance/rave to, but at its heart it is not very creative and doesnt really impress me anymore. dont get me wrong i still like trance, but no where near as much as i used to.

back in the late nineties trance was more hypnotic and often had quite a warm blissfull feel to it. nowadays the style is alot faster and harder, which defeats the point of trance really.

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 18:53:00 GMT
a_burn says:
btw albums to check out:

L.S.G - volume 2 (getting expensive now)
Global underground - nick warren in brazil
Global underground - oakenfold in new york
Global underground - sasha in ibiza
gatecrasher wet (slightly more cheesy but still a good listen)

and something abit different (a good form of trance thats new).....

john 00 flemming - euphoria psy trance (volume 1)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2009 19:37:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2009 21:04:33 GMT
I'm not really much of a dance music and I've never been into clubbing, but loved trance music from 1998 - 2001, it was exciting and like nothing I'd heard before.

Have loads of Euphoria, Trance Nation, Tranceformer and Gatecrasher compilations from those years. I think these were the golden years of trance. I stopped buying them after 2002 as there was nothing I heard that was better than what I already had.

Posted on 22 Nov 2009 23:09:01 GMT
Dickycritch says:
I have to say, i have been a massive fan of trance for years now. It got a bit dull a few years back, but lately it has come back with a bang, sounding fresher now and much more varied.

Posted on 21 Dec 2009 23:35:20 GMT
I got into trance around the mid nineties, and in many ways it peaked around 1999, at least commercially. I think there will always be good trance around, it's just a matter of knowing where to look for it. Time and technology move things forward, and that why trance has a slightly more advanced sound nowadays. I could name many, many trance acts - from past and present that are impressive, but it's just down to personal taste what someone decides to listen to. Above and Beyond have done a great job with the anjunabeats and anjunadeep albums. The former being more melodic, the latter being more progressive, with a bit of tech trance thrown in. I think it's a good idea to listen to some trance acts on youtube or maybe download a few tracks/albums off amazon. Listen to a few styles, and different dj's/ artists and you're sure to come across some decent tunes. Then you'll open up ideas which albums or singles to buy.

Posted on 23 Dec 2009 14:32:18 GMT
JJ says:
It's growing better each year! I really admire the production! It's a great style to produce aswell, but i pick modern trance over older trance, i'm sorry to say and as a producer i should love the classics...i mean i respect them don't get me wrong but if only they had the technology (i.e. softsynths) like they have now, i wonder how they might sound? But still great to see Rank 1 going strong :) Saw Tiesto for the first time ever a few months ago, i see heis style has changed ALOT!!! Highly rate Above and Beynd, Super8 & Tab, Wippenberg, Markus Schulz......and also Oceanlab (Even though they are more Prog House/Electronica)

Posted on 25 Dec 2009 21:25:45 GMT
Above and Beyond and Oceanlab are the same people, except for the fact that Justine Suissa provides the vocals for Oceanlab. There are loads of good trance acts around, past and present. Looking into buying/listening to these currently - Dennis Sheperd, Cold Blue, DJ Eco, Matt Zo, Breakfast, Tritonal, and especially Gareth Emery (AKA GTR). It's an endless mission to try and get all the trance I want. Still, I'll have a try.....

Posted on 5 Jan 2010 02:12:52 GMT
K. Byrne says:
It's coming back slowly. The best album(s) I own are Gatecrasher Immortal and Godskitchen Trance Anthems. I havn't really come across anything since then. There were a few good tracks in 2004 but nothing really since then. I have recently bought Euphoria Trance Awards, the best album I have bought in a long time. Its worth it, really varied and there are some good tracks from Sean Tyas. Hopefully its getting back up and running again.

Posted on 5 Jan 2010 09:31:32 GMT
Of course there have been good tracks since 2004. All the Anjunabeats albums for a start. It's just a matter of knowing where to look for good trance.

Posted on 5 Jan 2010 09:48:21 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
I used to be well into it 10 years ago-ish and had loads of Flying Rhino, Transient, Platipus, Dragonfly, Blue Room, Global Underground and Renaissance stuff but to my ears most of it now sounds pretty dated so much so I've sold 90% of my collection. Only a few albums that have held up well e.g. Hallucinogen's 'Twisted' and Blue Planet Corporation's debut.

Posted on 19 Sep 2010 04:33:50 BDT
Mac Gouland says:
Hey guys check this out

Tiesto tickets are still available for this Tuesday night in London. It is a Private party with the man himself. Will not be able to get tickets anyway else. If you are interested then follow this link http://clubnetuk.net/page/tiestouk

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2010 15:38:52 BDT
JJ says:
Yeah it's one of their alias', agree on Dj Eco and Gareth Emery!

Posted on 14 Oct 2010 08:53:35 BDT
Anyone remember Dance Energy with Normski on BBC2? Altern-8 in the house!! Plus a mad remix of the Doctor Who theme on the new talent bit that I've only ever heard once. Brilliant.

Posted on 14 Oct 2010 11:55:25 BDT
yeah i remember that! never did hear that dr who theme ever again after that! lol brilliant!

Posted on 14 Oct 2010 14:12:48 BDT
Was inspired to dig a bit deeper and came up with this: http://www.discogs.com/Boomtown-Productions-Doctor/release/173646 :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2011 00:34:06 GMT
mark77 says:
i agree, trance is so much better and varied than back in the late 90's, armin is such a legend, he has got better with age, his label armada has put out so much quantity trance, along with anjunabeat

Posted on 16 Jan 2011 15:33:55 GMT
Simon says:
There is some great Trance still about, unfortunately there is a lot of cheese - step forward Tiesto, Van Dyk, Van Buuren etc. Unfortunately Mr Emery is rapidly going that way too. Luckily, there's plenty of new DJ's coming through and some really excellent tunes, if you know where to look. Avoid the "big" nights like Crasher, Cream, Gods etc and try some of the smaller nights in your area. If you're in near Manchester, there's a free event called Versatile in Fallowfield at the end of January and then an Anjunadeep night at the Attic.

DS in Leeds is usually a good night too, although it's now outgrown Stinkys and the brilliant atmosphere there always was there. There's a new trance night starting at Stinkys called Forward which might be worth checking out - Mark Norman is playing the first night in Feb.

Tune wise, most of the Anjunabeats stuff is good, looking forward to the new Anjunadeep 3 next month. Check out their podcasts, plus Solaris international (Solarstone), JOOF, Digital Society, Sean Tyas, Brian Kearney, Andy Moor, Sander van Doorn....... decent trance is still out there.

Posted on 23 Jan 2011 17:44:17 GMT
All the big name DJ's who jumped on the trance bandwagon in the mid to late 90's destroyed what was essentially music of a spiritual release, an escape from the material world, they dragged it screaming into the full glare of consumerism, branding it with a pricetag and tainting it's soul.
I used to go clubbing/ raving in the early 90's before the Criminal Justice Bill came in, dance music was dangerous, going to a rave was an adventure, you felt you were part of something new and pioneering, a movement for change.
Now everything is easy, safe, downloadable, quantifiable... you want to hear music...bang, press of a button it's there.
All these Euphoric trance compilations, epic breakdowns etc.. that's not trance, it's a formula as banal as manufactured pop music, trance music is music that puts you in a state outside of yourself, by repetitive beats and locked grooves and sounds, it can be any kind of music, THe Master Musicians of Joujouka are the worlds oldest trance group, they literally play for hours and achieve a trance like state thru drumming and playing pipes (probably smoking a few as well!)
It's the same with a lot of things thesedays, words get taken out of context, twisted until they lose their meaning.
look trance up in the dictionary.

Posted on 24 Jan 2011 14:05:00 GMT
Blastronaut says:
NC - I keep banging on about the early to mid 90's dance scene being the dog's proverbials, but nobody seems to be interested. In fact, nobody's here full stop! Where've all the groovers gone? Dance Forum seems to have disappeared up its own @ss!

Did you do any clubbing in the Midlands by any chance?

Posted on 25 Jan 2011 21:37:39 GMT
Blastronaut,
I went to uni in Sheffield and stayed for 8 years, home of Warp records, so I was spoiled, badly spoiled with fantastic electronic music! went to some great raves in the peak district and a few at the Sheffield climbing club on new years eve, basically a large hall decked out to look like a rockface, it was like raving in a cave! very primal I can tell you!
I'm actually rediscovering all my old electronica music from the 90's, some great stuff, I've even started making my own, learning sequencing, there's a great music app on the iphone called Nanostudio, check it out if you have one, some good demo's of what you can do on youtube and soundcloud, makes the commute to work enjoyable! you can make some amazing sounds, I'm blown away by modern technology, what cost me £600+ 15years ago i can do on my iphone for £8.99.....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the dance discussion forum (102 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  dance discussion forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  7 Nov 2009
Latest post:  8 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions