Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Hard anodised vs stainless steel saucepans???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 111 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Feb 2012 16:09:35 GMT
Pippin's mum says:
I'm trying to decide what type of saucepan is best, stainless steel or hard anodised. Any thoughts please would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 20:18:42 GMT
JJ says:
I would be swayed by suitability for use on an induction hob i.e. most current stainless cookware.

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 22:03:30 GMT
Scarletsox says:
Anodised every time. I started with a couple of tesco pans, seemed reasonable quality and very cheap. I was won after the first use. I'm dreadful for forgetting I have put something on to cook..but no matter with an anodised pan, they're wipe cleanable even after being burnt. The stuff in the pan just becomes a blackened pancake, even with porridge or scrambled egg. When you don't over cook the heat is well balanced over the whole pan, they are virtually scratch resistant. I used my tescos pans for the best part of two years, putting them in the dishwasher and abusing them daily. I've just refitted my kitchen so to keep everything looking smart I bought some cuisinart pans. I would recommend trying Anodised pans, you won't regret it. They have only one downside which is minor because they are an absolute doodle to clean and that is they are not dishwasher proof. My tescos pans still worked beautifully but the outside had stater to look dull and shabby, but that's only reason for change. And frying pans work just the same ....try one and see

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 22:40:08 GMT
Smogz says:
Anodised every time.
I bought a set of Circulon infinite pans from Amazon in 2010 and they have been fantastic.
As Mrs Spinks has stated they are easy to clean, amazing pans to cook with.

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 23:17:10 GMT
JJ says:
... and the Circulon Infinite range is suitable for induction hobs.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 11:56:28 GMT
Roma says:
I have both stainless steel & Circulon. 'Stellar' stainless steel pans are the best for general boiling & have a 25yr warranty. They are pricey but stand the test of time & keep their looks. Circulon I have for all things that may stick or burn. Any frying or griddling it's the Circulon, & sauces too. Hope this helps.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 17:36:47 GMT
T. Chalmers says:
Anodised aluminium is oxidised aluminium. The oxydation makes it harder and less likely to stick; it's a kind of aluminium 'rust'. However aluminium is a proven neuro toxin. Do you really want that in your food? Aluminium is linked to Alzheimer's and other neurological diseases. Post-mortem analysis of Alzheimer's infected brains has shown increased levels of aluminum compared to people that did not die from Alzheimer's. Similarly aluminium in under-arm deodorants is easily absorbed. Stainless steel can have some unfortunate alloys with their own negative health implications, particularly nickel, chromium, molybdenum, carbon, and various other metals. Probably the most dangerous is that non-stick coating we're all familiar with (PFOA). Avoid at all costs. In animal studies, PFOA posed health hazards like: Serious changes in organs including the brain, prostate, liver, thymus, and kidneys, showing toxicity; Death of several rat pups due to PFOA exposure; Changes in the pituitary in female rats, at all doses. The pituitary controls growth, reproduction, and many metabolic functions. Changes in the size of the pituitary indicate toxicity. PFOA has been associated with tumors in at least four different organs in animal tests, and has been implicated in an increase in prostate cancer in PFOA plant workers. Now the various PFOA doses used in these animal experiments weren't necessarily the same exposure levels you might get from non-stick cookware. But they clearly show the potential danger from PFOA.
Porcelain covered cast iron (you know that French brand stuff that costs a fortune and weighs a ton) or ceramic cookware is probably best. Ceramic is non-stick, non-leaching and incredibly heat resistant and not too heavy. Happy cooking!

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 19:14:54 GMT
I have chosen Hard Anodised - bought mine from Lakeland but they are VERY scratch resistand - even so, I am indebted to Mr Chalmers for his comments - mine are hard Anodised sure but they have three layers of GKW over that - when I mention anything GKW stands for God Knows What - neither do I know - I just dunk the pan in hot water and it soaks off

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 21:57:11 GMT
Jackson says:
Raymond Blanc anodised pans are hard to beat.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 22:27:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2012 22:32:42 GMT
If you are going to buy Hard Anodized then look at the reviews of each range, Hard Anodized can be fantastic but the exterior can scratch and mark very easily especially if used in the dishwasher. Patricia said that 'she just dunks hers in hot water and it soaks off' she is doing it exactly right, that is all you need to do with hard anodised cookware.

Tefal offers a lifetime guarentee with their non-stick cookware.

I have a set of stainless steel at the moment, Jamie Oliver by Tefal. I cannot fault it 1 bit. But again look at reviews because some stainless steel can be better than others. Some can stick very easily so rubbing oil into the pan especially when used intensly will vasting inprove the non stick properties of the pan. Also you dont have to worry about scratching your stainless steel cookware because it doesnt affect the cooking properties.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 16:49:45 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 9 Feb 2012 16:49:59 GMT]

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 16:53:07 GMT
Leanne says:
Sabichi have some good quality hard anodised cookware, Sabichi 14cm Hard Anodised Milkpan Aspire

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2012 18:36:18 GMT
Gwenny says:
If it's anodised aluminium beware of aluminium reacting with acidified food. It is then absorbed into the body. Build up of aluminium is thought to be one of the major causes of Alzheimers disease. I would use stainless steel every time as there are very few health related issues with it.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 19:35:21 GMT
Smogz says:
Anodised aluminium is inert and does not react with acidic food, this is only an issue with non anodised cook ware such as the shiny aluminium pans that you use for camping etc.
Anodised aluminium is also sealed by the process and so does not leach elements into the food.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2012 20:22:42 GMT
Oh !! that makes Camping a dangerous pass-time - who would have thought it

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 21:40:01 GMT
Smogz says:
haha, I know! I looked into the whole Aluminium pan issue before I bought mine.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 01:02:16 GMT
Joolz S says:
I bought some hard anodized pans thinking that if they were so easy to clean then it wouldn't bother me that they can't go in the dishwasher. I was wrong! They are very easy to clean but I really hated that they can't go in the dishwasher so I've gone back to my old stainless steel pans.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 09:57:43 GMT
Smogz says:
The circulon infinite pans are dishwasher safe. I used to have stainless pans but stainless is a very poor conductor of heat relative to other metals.
The other thing to consider when reading scare stories about aluminium pans and acidic food - what are soft drink and beer cans made from.....? Yep, Aluminium.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 10:00:19 GMT
T. Chalmers says:
Actually many cans are steel not aluminium, check with a magnet.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 10:12:16 GMT
Thank you Mr Chalmers - I am taking a magnet to the Supermarket next time I go - do you think that will help now this post - is in light-hearted vein but I am NOT really joking

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 10:16:16 GMT
T. Chalmers says:
@Smogz, sadly you are wrong on leaching. Anodised pans do leach and do add to the user's toxic load and that of their children etc; One example here: http://yourcookwarehelper.com/cookware-and-health/12-is-anodized-aluminum-cookware-safe : "Anodized Aluminum Cookware Manufacturers and industry lobbyists all claim it is safe. Their biggest argument is that the amount of aluminum leached from hard anodized aluminum cookware is a mere 35 micrograms. That is a small amount. By itself, as a single dose, it is not harmful. Therefore, my recommendation is this:

If you are not concerned with aluminum toxicity, or use anodized aluminum cookware with other cookware materials, anodized aluminum cookware is fine to use. However, if part of your normal health routine is to minimize your exposure to metals, or you sometimes do a heavy metal detox diet, I recommend avoiding hard anodized aluminum cookware. The issue is not about the small single dose. It is about the cumulative effect it can have. Just like eating a single chocolate bar is not going to cause a serious disease. However, 3-6 chocolate bars a day every day, will have an impact on your body. If most meals are cooked with anodized aluminum frypans, saute pans, sauce pans, and stockpots, the cumulative effect, along with the aluminum you already get from other items in our environment, may cause a health issue." The amount of leaching quoted above (presumably data from manufacturers) is improperly defined in any event which alerts me to the probable attempt to minimise it. But the simple inalienable fact is that anodised pans leach aluminium. Is it a risk one should knowingly take if there are safer options?

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 10:33:33 GMT
T. Chalmers says:
@Patricia Enola. I appreciate your views on this. Yes steel cans are clearly safer than aluminiumn so why not check. However some cans used for acidic things like tinned tomatoes are lined with plastics that contain Bisphenol A (BPA) plastic hardener, an organic compound with the chemical formula (CH3)2C(C6H4OH)2. BPA exerts detectable, hormone-like properties, raising concerns about its presence in consumer products and foods contained in such products. Starting in 2008, several governments questioned its safety, prompting some retailers to withdraw polycarbonate products. A 2010 report from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) raised further concerns regarding exposure of foetuses, infants, and young children. In September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA a toxic substance.In the European Union and Canada, BPA use is banned in baby bottles but it is still in food cans and the older the can , the higher the toxic load. So if you're buying acidic foods buy them in glass jars. Whilst I'm on the subject most takeaways and many ready meals are in aluminium containers, many with toxic plastic lined or toxic cling filmed lids that are supposedly safe to microwave or put in the oven. They often contain dangerous plasticisers. Here from the John Hopkins (University) Hospital newsletter. The same information has also been circulated at the Walter Reed Army Medical Centre, in the US.

"Cancer News from John Hopkins:

1. No plastic containers in microwave. 2. No water bottles in freezer. 3. No cling film in microwave.

Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer.

Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body..."

I'm really not trying to become the harbinger of doom on this website but our governments are cynically bowing to the lobbying of big business and not protecting us, so we must do it ourselves. Be healthy. Eat well. Eat wise. Live long and prosper.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 10:52:52 GMT
Well thanks again T. for this post - I am definitely interested, and I see you not as a harbinger of doom but tather as a person who likes to be informed and to inform - I remember in a time of a plentiful supply - my mother "Bottled" in a Kilner process - many jars of Tomatoes - this could quite easily pay for itself,
Needs thought - needs definitely "looking at"

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 11:34:11 GMT
Smogz says:
@ T Chalmers, 75% of all beverage cans are aluminium, fact.
Most food cans are steel lined with plastic but I'm not even going to go onto that topic.
I'm not going to preach as to whether Aluminium pans are safe to use or not, I was trying to be light hearted and point out that a lot of this is scaremongering by lobby groups.
There is more aluminium contained in a single antacid than would be leached in a month if every meal cooked was with an alumium pan.
No harm in reducing exposure as you say and I'm not trying to dismiss your view point, you have very valid points.

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 03:52:11 GMT
A. Subido says:
Got the anodised one and was sorry to spend hardwork money,,i do a lot of cooking with oil and outside of the pans are all brown that i could not scrub hard because it is not really scratch resistant unlike the stainless steel ones, i've used loads of cleaning stuff and still cant get rid of brown/oil that stick to outside of the pans.

i think its ok to use them only for boiling things but not for serious cooking like frying and sauteeing...etc.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (714 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 646 3 days ago
Where can I buy bilberries in the UK? 166 4 days ago
Where IS everybody? 13 10 days ago
Belling or Stoves 900 Dual Fuel Range Cooker? Help! 140 17 days ago
Help - home-pickled onions gone green :( 5 17 days ago
keeping Christmas Pudding 17 18 days ago
Kefir, anyone? 230 19 days ago
Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP! 290 21 days ago
Thermomix..... anyone else got one? 402 23 days ago
Non-stick servers 10 18 Jul 2016
Jelly. 1 13 Jul 2016
Christmas Cake 53 13 Jul 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  111
Initial post:  5 Feb 2012
Latest post:  15 Apr 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions