Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

What are your Pantry "Musts"??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 168 posts in this discussion
Posted on 26 Dec 2012 20:54:58 GMT
Charlie says:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who blushed a little at that diamond, My cupboards are rammed with every spice, herb, chilli, oil, vinegar I stumble across. Stuff piled on top of other stuff. Not helped by the fact that I can only use the higher up cupboards as the kids can't be trusted, so bottom half of kitchen is empty

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012 20:49:55 GMT
We do???,I,d better get my finger out then and start wiping.....owwww what did I just say????

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 20:34:46 GMT
wobberoo says:
Hope you know that you're virtually telling me where all the best stuff is stashed!! And I'm HUNGERED!!

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 19:18:39 GMT
D. H says:
Haha yes I have seen it OW but what can I say other than Eeuwe.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 19:01:09 GMT
Oh I don't know, NGM...with he exception of the baked beans, I have all of that in my cupboard! It's the "various herbs and spices" that are taking over, in my case! LOL

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 18:56:58 GMT
Raisins, tinned tomatoes, baked beans, olive oil, breadsticks, various herbs and spices, pasta, rice and peanut butter.......you can tell I have a 3 year old lol.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 18:55:41 GMT
Some do, Anna...ever watch How Clean Is Your House? Some don't!

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 18:54:30 GMT
D. H says:
Wow. luckily in the Uk we don't have the problem of cleaning cupboards and checking dates on food twice yearly. Our food is Quite expensive and not sold in large quantities so we in Britain clean and wipe out as we shop.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 17:09:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Dec 2012 17:10:01 GMT
happy says:
We're not as hot as you here, Ori. Closer to the coast so there is usually a cooler breeze. I must admit I only clean the cupboards once a year, so perhaps I shall try doing it twice.
We get all sorts of weird bugs. I bought our youngest daughter a rabbit skin hat when we lived in Russia. The first summer here something ate all the fur off comptetely, so she end up with a leather hat! Yet my sheep skin coat has never been touched. We also get termites. They don't touch the hardwood, doors window frames etc, but they ate a cardboard photo album earlier this year, just the album the photos are fine.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 15:36:22 GMT
Hm. That's odd. I've never really had that problem. Maybe because our temps here are even higher? We top out around 48ºC every summer, sometimes up as high as 50. I've had good luck since I started putting things in glass jars; if one does go bad at least it doesn't spread. I have learned to clear my cupboard twice a year, check everything for dates and make sure nothing has cobwebs etc. Scrub down the cupboard inside and out with water with a little bleach in it, put everything back.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 15:07:47 GMT
happy says:
My problem is that with new cookery programme comes another range of packets spices and what not. Unfortunately they don't supply another cupdboard to put them all in. Spices and dried goods don't last long in the Algarve, everything sprouts a healthy crop of flour moths and weevils. I've tried putting the packs into glass jars, but have come to the conclusion that the eggs are already in the packs when I buy them, as they hatch into larvae then turn into tiny moths. I can only assume that the high summer temperatures here are the problem.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 08:52:30 GMT
Methi is one of my favourite spices...don't over-toast them as they can go bitter, but a little "suntan" is what you need to bring out the flavour. I use them in a lot of curries and Indian pickles (lonchas and achars). If you need curry ideas, check out the blog Indian Food Rocks. Manisha posts excellent recipes, often with step-by-step photo tutorials.

Fenugreek is also used as an infusion for digestion. Drop them in cold water, bring to a boil and shut the heat off, let them stand for about 5 min, strain and drink.

Chicken Methi, eh? (scrambles off to Google a recipe)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012 23:17:14 GMT
pixie says:
Hi Mrs E...just lightly dry roast the seeds and then grind them in your pestle and mortar and add to curry....unless your recipe says different...Lol! Hope it's tasty!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012 23:01:46 GMT
I think I,m busy Roo, and anyway my waders are at the menders week.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012 22:54:59 GMT
I have some Fenugreek seeds, as I love our local take aways Chicken Methi, but how do you use them please?

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 19:33:00 GMT
They shouldn't be too tight.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 02:07:28 GMT
wobberoo says:
I've got my very own pantry. It's a posh 'climb in' type, as oppose to a walk in job. It can hold several types of food, and all at a regular temperature. It costs nothing to fill, is replenished frequently, and YOU'RE ALL WELCOME TO JOIN ME FOR THE PARTY OF THE YEAR!!!

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 17:17:40 GMT
D. H says:
Oh don't you love the American homes. I'd love a basement. It'd be my laundry/ utility room. Our British homes unless you are loaded are teeny tiny in comparison.

OW it sounds like an amazing pantry.

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 15:49:23 GMT
My mom's walk-in pantry used to be a thing called a "breezeway." My dad was a Southern gentleman (well, I say gentleman) and he built our house with the stairs to the cellar outside the main building, roofed and walled but not insulated or heated. At holiday time (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) it was a good place to keep the foods that didn't fit in the fridge, like the huge 25 lb turkey or the baked ham and the this and the that. You had to watch sometimes it didn't freeze, though. After my dad died, my brothers refurbished the "breezeway" as part of the house and it became the pantry. Shoot, now that I think about it, it was about as big as my livingroom now.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 13:48:17 GMT
I just have 2 large cupboards in our Garage!!!.....so I am EVEN MORE jealous of all of you!!! ;o>

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 13:32:23 GMT
Charlie says:
Anna, I am sooooooooo jealous. I have pull out larder that I hate, ok it's better than not having it, but I can't find anything in it, stuff falls down the back, it's not cool. Ooo to have a proper walk in, with your cheese at a nice steady temp, storage space, plenty of shelves....
Dear Father Christmas...

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 13:27:41 GMT
D. H says:
Mines only a small one but still a lot better than standard kitchen cupboards. It's surprising just how much you can fit in them and how easy they are to work from.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 13:18:17 GMT
pixie says:
Wish I had one! We did when I was small and the stone shelves kept everything cool...we also had a meat safe...nearly forgot about that!

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 12:44:58 GMT
D. H says:
You can't beat a walk in pantry. Don't know what I'd do without mine.

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 12:26:41 GMT
Thanks, Anna! I used to stand and stare at my mom's pantry (she would buy arcane stuff and never use it). Now I buy the arcane stuff, too but I always use it. Of course Mom had a walk-in pantry and I have just a couple of groaning shelves.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (713 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions