Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Halogen Oven

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 256 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012, 16:42:15 GMT
If you look on amazon the are many cookery books for haloge ovens.I prefer the main oven for cakes but otherwise this is better

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 20:57:02 BST
P. F. May says:
I am an octogenarian pensioner contemplating the purchase of a halogen oven. However, as most of the meats which I both like to cook and eat are not generally of the highest cost and quality, I wonder whether I should content myself with very slow cooking in a conventional oven.
Advice would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 21:20:10 BST
pixie says:
Hi P F May,
Halogen ovens are fantastic, you can bake a cake in, it roast in it and as it is temp controlled too it's so easy. Chicken tastes wonderful and I put my potatoes round it and cook it altogether.
Moneywise it's so economical, uses less electricity.
I think you would get alot of use out of it. No pre heating a big oven.
Take a look at the shopping channel "ideal world" they often do demonstrations and give useful hints and tips.
I love slow cooking too and a small slow cooker might be a good investment, they are a good price too.
Enjoy your cooking what ever you decide!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 21:23:13 BST
Avcraig says:
I too am a pensioner, and cook a beautiful casserole in the haligon cooker. You must first heat your oven up to about 180 degrees, for about 10minutes. Place your casserole in the oven at this temperature for about 30minutes, then reduce to 160 degrees for about one an a half hrs. I am a New Zealander and we cannot buy the hinged haligon cookers here. I advise you to get the hinged model, as the lid is quite heavy to lift of an on. Ilove my cooker and make cakes and cook beautiful roasts. good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 23:55:08 BST
P. F. May says:
Thank you Pixie for your comments; I will certainly bear your advice in mind when I come to a decision.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 23:58:34 BST
P. F. May says:
Your advice is also appreciated and I can see that I will soon have to take the plunge

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 08:56:29 BST
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012, 08:57:13 BST
Terfyn says:
To P.F.May A Halogen oven as a oven is great for what it does but, for cooking of the less expensive cuts of meat, I would use a good slow cooker.
First I brown the meat in a frying pan, I add some root vegetables to the base of the cooker and put the meat on the top, I then add some stock and set the cooker on "high" until it boils then leave it on low for 4-5 hours.
The one advantage of a slow cooker is that it is very cheap to run.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 10:16:06 BST
P. F. May says:
Thank you Terfyn.
Your comments actually confirm my suspicions - not to mention my wife's who is under the impression that I am trying to start a kitchenalia museum!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 11:01:30 BST
Tricia says:
@P.F.May. I bought a halogen oven just before Christmas. It is now relegated to the back of the cupboard!! I already owned a combination oven (oven/microwave/grill) and I much prefer this. I find the combi far easier to get things in and out of, you don't have to lift it, and there is far less risk of burning yourself. Also, there is no hit and miss as far as cooking times are concerned and wondering whether to use the extender ring, or not use it. Oh, and don't forget to query which shelf to use too. No, far too complicated and stressful as far as I am concerned! I got totally fed up with (time and again) not even ending up with a baked potato which was cooked all the way through, and which had to be finished off in the microwave before I could eat it. It is far too much hit-and-miss for my liking. I love cooking, but I think the halogen is a complete waste of money and little more than a gimmick. I also love my slow cooker and wouldn't be without it. No doubt the halogen convertees will come down on me like a ton of bricks for this, but we are all entitled to our opinions and this is mine. If you are still thinking about getting one P.F.May, I would suggest you try to borrow one from a friend first to see how you get on. Otherwise, sit back, put your feet up and start dreaming of another way to spend your £30+ pounds!!
@Terfyn. Did you know that well-known cooks, such as Jamie Oliver, are now saying they no longer feel that you have to brown meat before you cook it? Interesting how views change, isn't it?!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012, 11:50:59 BST
FARMER DUCK says:
Hi there

I agree with the above comment's too, I used a Halogen Oven table top for over a year & whilst they are rapid, easy for smaller items et, they are limited also by their size & the heavy lid lifting (& no stand with the JML one I bought) makes them awkward, far more than using your conventional oven. They use the same power level as most oven's, so not really a money saving device either, pest to wash very heavy bowl, the element does go easier too (mine lasted less than a year & had to be replaced by JML through the post, sending my one back first et et, just a pain!).

I gave mine to local Charity , & see plenty at boot sales et too. Wouldn't recommend, take too much space on worktop, not exactly aesthetically pleasing sight, fussy to wash & handle. They have their use's, but I think everyone ever that I know (that has had one, "had" being the operative word!) give's up the ghost with them.

Also, for those that think they are fab, this is also my view, after more than a year of using one too, so not talking out a hole in my proverbial either!

Save your cash, stick with your main oven.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2012, 08:10:48 BST
Terfyn says:
Thank you P Bennett I did not know that. I am of the old Delia school so searing the meat is a "right of passage" but I never understood why!!! Perhaps browning gives it a better flavour.
The last slow cook was a neck of lamb, we were really surprised how tasty and tender the result was.
I have used a halogen but do not own one. I am sure that, in the right hands, they are a great way to cook but, to me, they just replace the oven with just another bit of kit, These tabletop combi ovens seem a good compromise, the microwave boils and the grill/oven roasts and toasts. As for baked potatoes, I microwave mine first and then finish in the oven with a dollop of olive oil over the skin.

Posted on 4 Apr 2012, 08:29:59 BST
Tricia says:
@Terfyn "As for baked potatoes, I microwave mine first and then finish in the oven with a dollop of olive oil over the skin. ". Amen to that - I can't tell the difference when they are done this way. I also keep a pack of frozen baked potatoes in stock from Iceland. They are handy to have in when, like me, you live alone and perhaps don't feel well enough to go out, or the weather is too bad. They are delicious too, cheap, and cook in a matter of minutes when you are in a hurry. They are 99% potato and 1% olive oil. As for searing meat, Jamie Oliver says that it makes no difference to the taste. And in an article on About.Com Derrick Riches states:....... "So what is searing? By definition, searing is to cook something hot and fast to brown the surface and to seal in the juices. Yet many of the leading cooking experts agree that searing does not seal in juices. Harold McGee in his book On Food and Cooking shows scientifically that a "seared" steak has less juices than an equally cooked not "seared" steak. Frankly the idea that you can somehow melt the surface of the meat into a material that holds in all the juices has always seemed a little strange to me. Conclusively it seems that science is agreed that sealing in juices just doesn't work and is not the real goal of searing. Searing is a process of cooking that creates the crusty surface texture most people find appealing and the caramelized sugars that gives us that steak flavor we want.". Seems a bit like the "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" senario, doesn't it?! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012, 09:53:47 BST
FARMER DUCK says:
pixie; Halogen Oven's don't use less power whatsoever, than many standard size built-in, or free-standing appliances, just a mis-conception on your part.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012, 09:59:03 BST
FARMER DUCK says:
hi P F May: Slow Cooker would be far better for cheaper cut's of meat/poultry/pork et, not a Halogen, save your money & look at Charity shops et, for a slow cooker. You will not manage likely the heavy lid of a Halogen Oven, they can be tricky, somewhat dangerous & heavy to lift/place down without a stand et.

This thread seems to have lost it's original query, not going on to speaking about "searing" et, Halogen Oven's have their use, small, but many down side's, they have their advocate's, but seriously don't waste your money, they are not necessary. slow Cooker is a useful addition, can be tucked away to get on with it's job, some are 3.5 litres, handy to cook batches for freezing (as I do, have a very young child) & you get much smaller one's for 2-4 people also, very useful at freeing up your time, to do other thing's.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012, 10:41:12 BST
pixie says:
Hello Farmer Duck,
I take on board your views and welcome them.
I have checked numerous websites on the energy factor of Halogen ovens and all state the same...energy saving.
I am not an expert and I agree with you that a slow cooker is a really good investment. I cook on an aga and in the summer, if it's a good one, I like to turn it off. In that instance I have found my Halogen oven a real boon in the kitchen. Like all cooks we have our fav bits of equipment, knives etc and not everyone will agree on this, it's the same with cookery books and food.
It is nice however to learn the views and suggestions of other people who enjoy cooking.
There's no right or wrong in my view, just what suits, and at the moment my fav gadget is my Vitamix, I love it!
Happy cooking!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012, 11:04:22 BST
J. E. Michie says:
Farmer Duck I agree with you that the person who posted the original query, P F May, would probably be better off with a Slow-cooker, particularly because of the heavy lid and lifting things in and out of the oven; however, you are wrong to say that an HO doesn't use less power - HOs use significantly less power than conventional electric ovens for a variety of reasons it can be as much as 70% less power depending on what you are cooking. HOs are not the best solution for everyone in every situation, but for some people an HO is a wonderful piece of equipment, and it has been ideal for me. After seeing my one a friend bought one and took it back to South Africa with her where it has revolutionised her cooking and for me living in China where households do not have any sort of oven (the Chinese do not bake, or roast meat like we do) it has meant we can have a taste of home with a roast chicken, or leg of lamb, roast potatoes etc - bliss! And I am making a bit of a name for myself out here with homemade scones and biscuits! Its horses for courses wouldn't you agree?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012, 11:30:56 BST
pixie says:
J.E Michie, Hi!
my word I bet you are going down a storm in China with your oven, as you say a little bit of home cooking!
My husband used to visit China alot due to business and he loved the food but when he had been there for a time he said he really craved a roast!
There's not much you can't do in the oven and I have to say even though I use an Aga most of the time there is nothing quite like juicy roast chicken cooked in the Halogen, and roast pork with crispy crackling....don't get me started!

Posted on 7 Apr 2012, 00:03:09 BST
P. F. May says:
I am both surprised and pleased that my original post should appear to stimulate so much discussion.
I thank all who contributed and, for the record, have decided to stick with my Le Creuset casserole dish, slow cooker and Panasonic combi microwave.
Any potential guests will now know what to expect for dinner!

Posted on 7 Apr 2012, 10:03:18 BST
pixie says:
Glad all the advice helped! Great to get another view on things I think. Bet you'll serve up some crackers with all that eqipment.
Been looking at other posts and now I covet a "Thermomix" Yikes! Wait til my husband sees the price!
Happy cooking!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012, 12:53:06 BST
frizzy says:
If you wish to purchase a black halogen you can from Andrew James via Amazon they also do bright red and white. I am waiting for a red one, can't wait. I believe thy have a fab write up.

J Friston

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012, 13:01:24 BST
pixie says:
J Friston, you will love it, using mine today to cook my chicken in, the crispiest skin and lovely moist meat! You won't be sorry, lots of good cookery books out there especially in the bargain bookshops.
A meat thermometer is really handy if you are going to cook joints but it is very easy to control the heat.
Pork chops are lovely in there, nice crackling on the rind....yum!
I really hope you enjoy the machine and post some of the recipes you try on the forum.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012, 23:21:21 BST
Ayla says:
Putting a very hot glass dish or bowl into warm water is a sure way of it breaking. In fact, there's a label on mine that specifically advises against doing that. So no. it's not a defect of the bowl ...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2012, 23:43:29 BST
Ayla says:
I think you'll find you can cook cheaper cuts even better in a halogen oven, in a similar way to conventional ovens - low temperature, slow cooking. The halogen oven seems to keep meat far more moist than a normal oven. Perhaps you could also consider a slow cooker. I have a small round one which is perfect for one person. My octogenarian father loves his halogen oven which he uses mainly for ready meals and reheating meals which I leave for him in his deepfreeze.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012, 11:39:37 BST
you cannot immerse the bowl in water when it is warm. Fill the bowl with cool water and use the wash function. It is fine and cleans easily, but i must say as a veggie I do not cook meat in mine so it may be easier to clean.
Your reply to Granny Grimble's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012, 13:21:46 BST
pixie says:
Grannygrimble, you are right, it is a breeze to clean. I love my halogen oven! cooks chicken to perfection!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (723 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  94
Total posts:  256
Initial post:  10 Sep 2010
Latest post:  8 Jan 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers