Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > cooking discussion forum

Oooh right now?.....I am SO craving?.....! ! !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 252 posts in this discussion
Posted on 17 Oct 2013 19:31:19 BDT
I love the way Si King says "riso'oh."
I'm craving fresh oranges, but it's a bit too early for the new seasonal ones. We get through about 6 kg a week when they're in season, sometimes more.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2013 17:25:48 BDT
pixie says:
mmm! love risotto. the one with prawns from..

The ASK Italian Cookbook: Easy to prepare recipes from the ASK Italian kitchens is devine and better than the restaurant!...but my fav is lambs liver.....

Posted on 17 Oct 2013 17:19:00 BDT
Bearman says:
Right now I am SO craving risotto. Plump pieces of smoked haddock nestled in sumptuous creamy rice, with a poached egg spilling is golden yolk to mingle with the rice while shavings of parmesan slowly soften and melt on top.

Posted on 30 Sep 2013 08:38:09 BDT
I am very fond of sweet potatoes in soup. A friend of mine on Vegweb did a sweet potato and veggie chili that is delicious! It's vegetarian but you can add meat or chorizo if you want of course.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small to medium red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 10 oz. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes
1 14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes with juice, break up tomatoes in a bowl with your fingers
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in heavy medium sauce-pan over medium-high heat. Add red onion and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and stir for about a minute. Add 1 cup of the veggie broth and potato. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium and simmer until potato is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Add stewed tomatoes with their juices and pinto beans along with the garlic and spices. Add zucchini and the rest of veggie broth (1/2 cup). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Simmer uncovered until chili thickens and potato is very tender, about 10 minutes. Mix in parsley or cilantro at the end.

Posted on 30 Sep 2013 08:23:09 BDT
pixie says:
Nigella has a great veg soup....quick and quite low on calories. She hust blitzes all the veg in a processor adds it to veg stock (Marigold boullion powder) and then simmers it down.....into a blender. Cheap too.

Posted on 30 Sep 2013 07:00:30 BDT
Bearman says:
For a thick soup, roasting butternut squash in the oven realli brings out the sweetness. Then scoup flesh from skin before blitzing with stock.

Parsnip is another good one for thick soups. Really good with a little curry in it, or parsnip and orange is a good combo too.

In general, if you put enough veg of any kind in and then blitz, it will make it thick, but especially so with root veg.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2013 21:31:43 BDT
All sounds good. Thanks, Diamond.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2013 21:19:51 BDT
I like the Marigold stock for soup,it,s veggie and you can get a less salt version.......having said that homemade will always be good. Onions,celery, carrots are always a good starting place, then whatever you fancy after that.......leeks,courgettes,peas,peppers,garlic. Not mushrooms, they can darken it too much and it looks unattractive. Potatoes will thicken it but might make it a it gluey or heavy IMHO. I like a it of tarragon to finish it off, adds a lovely flavour, maybe so rice or pasta for a bit of body. You could add tomatoes and herbs and turn it into a minestrone type soup too. Simply using loads of veg will make it nice and thick, I like to use my stick blender and partially blend it so it is smoothish, but with bits in, I hate watery soup too.xxx. Basically, sweat off the onions,celery,carrots,garlic and leeks if using for about 5-7 minutes until they release all their lovely flavours, add rest of veggies, pour over stock to cover well, simmer gently until everything is tender. Blend, taste,season,taste again. Add fresh herbs if using at end of cooking. Dry are fine too ,but add them a bit earlier to rehydrate.

Posted on 29 Sep 2013 18:40:36 BDT
This one isn't me craving, but all of you clever people could still help.

A friend would like to make a tasty vegetable soup. She has chicken stock, but wants tips for the rest. Tasty, but not spicy. Thicker soups would be preferable rather than watery ones, but all suggestions are welcome. I wondered whether something like sweet potato or butternut squash would make a good base.
Over to you... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 22:45:00 BDT
Glad to hear it, I thought I,d lost my magic touch.xxx

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 22:36:08 BDT
I am okay, thanks for asking, Diamond. You alright?

And you don't get rid of me just like that. You're not that lucky. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 22:04:09 BDT
Sam, how lovely to hear from you, I thought we,d lost you for good. Are you ok.xxxx

Posted on 25 Sep 2013 19:31:36 BDT
pixie says:
That'll "Larn" ya!.....tweezers on the way!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 19:27:03 BDT
Bearman says:
I really didn't need them to see that.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 17:36:08 BDT
pixie says:
Did you have those big 'ole bifocals on again.....tsk! tsk!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 16:43:02 BDT
Hi Happy. Can't believe it's been quiet here...

Posted on 25 Sep 2013 16:37:47 BDT
happy says:
Hi ya Sam. It's been a bit quiet with you away. Hope you can hang around a while.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 15:35:05 BDT
Bearman says:
Thats what I told my OH last night LOL

Posted on 25 Sep 2013 14:56:19 BDT
pixie says:
Moooo...ve over it's bigger than both of us! Ha Ha!...told you to put a sorong on!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:42:28 BDT
Bearman says:
Not sure about that - there's one heffer which keeps coming up to my garden fence!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:40:43 BDT
Well cook up some more. You must have the recipe...

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:39:56 BDT
Helloooo nurse! I mean, Hello Ori. :-)

Been around. Missed you all. Came back.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:25:45 BDT
pixie says:
Sorry Sam...I had to use.....the lot!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:15:27 BDT
Ah! Bad image! Bad image! Where's the mind bleach?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2013 14:03:06 BDT
pixie says:
And the cattle!x
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the cooking discussion forum (717 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The All New What's For Dinner Thread!! 673 39 minutes ago
Chasseur vs Le Creuset 64 11 hours ago
Anybody here do any Japanese cooking? 24 11 hours ago
Fan assisted oven nightmare! PLEASE HELP! 305 4 days ago
Leisure Range Cookers - design fault? 26 16 days ago
Aphrodisiac recipes 0 17 days ago
The Fish Thread 207 22 days ago
Christmas Cake 55 24 Oct 2016
Are halogen ovens worth buying? 260 18 Oct 2016
Is my slow cooker faulty? 6 16 Oct 2016
School dinner recipe 6 12 Oct 2016
Which oven to buy 39 4 Oct 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  cooking discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  252
Initial post:  1 Nov 2012
Latest post:  23 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers