Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > comedy discussion forum

Lurking in the 4 on Demand archives

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jun 2011, 12:22:47 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Sep 2011, 15:54:16 BST
In recent months I've been going through Channel 4 On demand comedy archives. Apart from US shows everything commissioned by C4 is still there for your delectation. Although there's much dross there's also some half forgotten quality. One such show is an old Stephen Fry spoof 'This is David Lander' which sends up investigative docus. Looks like they only ever made the one series which is a shame as it's very droll. Anyone else recommend other lesser known, C4 comedy shows that remain half forgotten?

Posted on 17 Jun 2011, 16:04:18 BST
Nuge have you ever seen Nathan Barley.

A comedy with a great pedigree as it's written by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris.

It's about London media idiots with no sense of irony.
Some great phrases:
"Keep it foolish"
That's well weapon!"
and the infamous "I'm a self facilitating media node"

Worth a look ..and I will check out your recommendation.

Posted on 17 Jun 2011, 21:56:59 BST
Nuge - there was a follow-up series to This Is David Lander called This Is David Harper, the difference being that Fry wasn't on hand to do the second series so Tony Slattery was roped in to dep. Do you remember People Like Us which starred the voice of (the main character was unseen apart from the odd hand/microphone shot) the since disgraced Chris Langham? Similar premise but I think this was BBC rather than C4.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011, 22:17:23 BST
spaced is on there, black books, father ted and also so more contemporary classics such as the it crowd, its a great website

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2011, 17:38:48 BST
Huck Flynn says:
nuge - indispensable - brilliant C4 series and dead cheap on DVD - may be on On Demand
The Armando Iannucci Shows [DVD]

Posted on 6 Aug 2011, 16:20:25 BST
Chris says:
It's hard to know what constitutes forgotten gems. The Adam and Joe Show is well worth a watch, and of course there's Vic Reeves Big Night Out, but not sure they're obscure enough.
Is the Comic Strip stuff on there? The Bad News stuff still holds up and there are a few other gems such as Gino, Detectives on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown, The Yob, and the brilliant hour long episode Strike.

Posted on 22 Aug 2011, 22:46:33 BST
'Absolutely' and its often even funnier spin-off 'Mr Don and Mr George'. I have the DVD box set of the former but the latter, to the best of my knowledge, has never been released. Will have to trawl these Channel 4 archives when I have sufficient time on my hands.

Posted on 30 Aug 2011, 15:20:58 BST
Plantlife says:
Thanks for the tip - I'm going to have a proper search when I get home from work. The thing I instantly searched for was the Vic and Bob one-off 'The Weekenders' - it's there!
I can't vouch for the quality - I only saw it once when it was first broadcast, probably in the mid 90s. I recall it was one of a series of 6 comedy shows that were a sort of collection of pilots, or maybe just intended as one-offs. I remember one of the others was Frank Skinner's My Blue Heaven, which became a series; as far as I know none of the others did. I seem to recall a Steve Coogan one, but I could be wrong, with a pair of weird twins.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2011, 15:53:38 BST
Hey Liq. As I live abroad I can only watch 4 OD on my 'puter. With older shows like Absolutely and Comic Strip the images dont fill the whole screen, leaving about 2-3 inches at the side margins.

Posted on 4 Nov 2011, 16:18:19 GMT
After seeing all this I went and tried it out, with a brief watch of Banzai. Adverts to start, adverts halfway through - this is why I stopped watching terrestrial telly! (Even the Beeb has far too many trailers; you tune in for what looks like a watchable show and wait through fifteen minutes of 'look at this glorious rubbish you really want to watch' before losing interest and going away).

Posted on 13 Nov 2011, 03:05:59 GMT
Daviey says:
It's well worth looking up "Garth Marenghi's Dark Place" and "Man to Man with Dean Learner" - both are done by Matthew Holness, Richard Ayoade and Matt Berry, among others, and they still make me happy in my pants even now.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012, 13:40:47 GMT
sistermoon says:
The Steeve Coogan one with the weird ginger twins was part of the BBC series 'Coogan's Run'.

Posted on 24 Feb 2012, 01:23:02 GMT
discovered Young persons guide to becoming a rockstar on 4OD, pretty good and featured a young gerard butler, or gerry as he was then
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the comedy discussion forum (177 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  comedy discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  17 Jun 2011
Latest post:  24 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers