Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited 4 months for £0.99 Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > classical music discussion forum

Upcoming releases

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 414 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013, 06:24:44 BST
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2013, 06:26:02 BST
D. M. Ohara says:
Rasmus,
The Pressler CD - a new recording - is issued to mark his 90th birthday, just coming up.
It is good to know that there is life after the BAT!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013, 12:10:21 BST
Dan

I didn't know that... late Beethoven and Schubert is pretty ambitious repertoire for someone who is turning 90 and getting ready for retirement...

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013, 17:35:28 BST
Last edited by the author on 13 Oct 2013, 06:19:11 BST
D. M. Ohara says:
Rasmus,

I don't think he considers retirement: when he wound up the BAT, he said it was to concentrate on his solo career. If he lives as long as Mieczyslaw Horszowski [over 100, and still playing at 99], he has some way to go yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013, 11:32:47 BST
Wow, Dan - having a career as a concert pianist at 99 is really a great achievement - regardless of the actual results...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013, 11:55:28 BST
D. M. Ohara says:
Rasmus,
Indeed it is - he last played at London's Wigmore Hall when he was 98 - I still kick myself for not going!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013, 14:09:47 BST
Dan

Did he slow down?
It seems even conductors slow down as they age... one should think that a pianist will have to slow down when his loins stiffen...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2013, 17:18:33 BST
Last edited by the author on 13 Oct 2013, 17:20:53 BST
D. M. Ohara says:
Rasmus,
I think he was quite careful about what he played in his last years, but he still got decent reviews.
Three of his late London recitals are on BBC Legends:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bbc+legends&tag=googhydr-21&index=music&hvadid=29199284893&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=19392667991430152689&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4jb04mamsi_e#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=bbc+legends+-+Horsowski+&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Abbc+legends+-+Horsowski+

As to conductors slowing down with Age, it is not always so. Stokowski's last recordings, made when he was about 95, really zip along [Mendelssohn's Italian and Bizet in C]. I was fortunate to hear the legendary Russian conductor and teacher [whose pupils include some of the greats] Ilya Musin in his only London Concert, at the age of 92 in 1996, about three years before his death at 95. The programme was of music by Mozart, Rimsky-Korsakov and Prokofiev. It did not strike me as slow!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013, 09:01:23 BST
Bruce says:
At the Proms concerts I attended this year - several of the best conductors were in their 80s.

Haitink shows no signs of slowing down at 84! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013, 11:58:36 BST
Dan and Bruce

Thanks
Okay, so it might be my prejudices slowing down the music... good to know it really isn't so...

Posted on 14 Oct 2013, 12:00:43 BST
Last edited by the author on 14 Oct 2013, 12:02:10 BST
It has been noted on this thread that Chailly is releasing a Brahms cycle, but I'm not sure anyone mentioned the new release from Gergiev of 1 and 2:
Brahms: Symphonies Nos.1 & 2

...oh, Chailly also has a new recording out of the violin concerto with Kavakos:
Brahms: Violin Concerto

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013, 12:10:15 BST
D. M. Ohara says:
Rasmus,
There are, of course, exceptions. Klemperer tended to slow down with age: but there were exceptions even there! [I was at his last concert in London on 26.9.71 at the RFH. He conducted the King Stephen overture and Brahms 3rd. In between, the young Daniel Adni in his London debut played the Beethoven 4th concerto. I have the programme before me now! Many years later I met Daniel Adni and mentioned I had been there. Klemperer was then very infirm, and had to be carried on and off the podium. Gareth Morris, first flute in the NPO, later told me that by that stage the orchestra could barely rely on his beat: but they knew what he wanted, and did it regardless.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013, 13:08:04 BST
Dan

I tried Klemperer's EMI Beethoven Eroica on Spotify and thought: hmm... interesing... I didn't know the Eroica could be longer than Bruckner's big ones...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2013, 15:53:50 BST
I didn't know the Eroica could be longer than Bruckner's big ones..

Neither did I.......... Klemperer takes 53'38 for Beethoven 3 and 64.50 for Bruckner 7 (and is quicker than Jochum, for example). Klemperer is not notably different in the Eroica from other conductors of the period who take the Exposition repeat eg. Solti in 1959 at 53.55.

Posted on 17 Oct 2013, 17:40:47 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 Oct 2013, 17:43:09 BST
Scheduled for release in December on Hyperion:

Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
The Piano Concertos
Stephen Hough (piano), Mozarteumorchester Salzburg, Mark Wigglesworth (conductor)
Two CDs for the price of 1.

James Levine: Live at Carnegie Hall with Evgeny Kissin

James Levine: Live At Carnegie_

Gabrieli: Music for Brass & Organ
organ Andreas Sieling (Artist), Berlin Brass (Artist), Artistic Director Jörg Lehmann (Artist), Conducted by Lucas Vis
Pentatone.

Gabrieli: Music for Brass & Organ

This album features music by Giovanni Gabrieli peformed by up to 30 brass players from the Rundfunk-Sinfoniorchester Berlin, the Deutsche Oper Berlin, the Konzerthausorchester Berlin, the Komische Oper berlin, the Staatsoper Berlin, and the Sachsische Staatskapelle Dresden plus organ player Andreas Sieling.

The recording was made in the Berlin Dom which provided fantastic acoustics for this recording in superb surround sound.

You can hear full movements on Pentatone's website - sounds great:

http://www.pentatonemusic.com/giovanni-gabrieli-music-for-brass-and-organ

Posted on 20 Oct 2013, 15:18:57 BST
Bach Masterworks - The Original Jackets Collection

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
The Original Jackets Collection
The greatest Deutsche Grammophon
and Archiv Produktion albums
Int. Release 01 Nov. 2013
50 CDs
Limited Edition: 0289 479 1043 5
50 CDs ADD/DDD

Track listing from DGs website:

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/cat/4791043?sort=newest_rec&per_page=100&COMP_ID=BACJS&flow_per_page=100&start=200&presentation=flow

Posted on 20 Oct 2013, 15:20:49 BST
[Puts fingers in ears and walks away whistling]

Posted on 23 Oct 2013, 11:51:13 BST
Haydn Quartets (10 CD set)
Finally all of Quartour Mosaiques' Haydn CDs have been collected in a box, so I can recommend them with a clear conscience.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2013, 19:50:49 BST
enthusiast says:
Tempting ... but aren't they a little too sober, Rasmus? That was the impression I gleaned from listening to a couple of them. But they are certainly very well thought of so perhaps I am wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013, 10:53:40 BST
enthusiast

Sober indeed. But I like sobriety in Haydn.
The Mosaiques Quartet plays with warmth and charm in both Mozart and Haydn.
I haven't heard their Beethoven opus 18.

Posted on 3 Nov 2013, 17:49:20 GMT
BEETHOVEN String Quartets. Quatuor Vegh. Naive 8cds

BEETHOVEN The Complete Piano Sonatas. Francois-Frederic Guy. Zig Zag Territoires 9cds

Brahms
Chamber Music
András Schiff (piano), Peter Schmidl (clarinet) & Friedrich Dolezal (cello)
Takács Quartet
Members Of The Vienna Octet
This collection of five of Brahms' chamber music masterpieces includes four with piano and all of these feature the supreme artistry of Andras Schiff. Both the quintets - for clarinet and piano - are included; the recording of the Clarinet Quintet with Peter Schmidl with members of the New Vienna Octet, receives its first release on CD.

CAGE, JOHN Solo for Piano. Sabine Liebner. Wergo

CAGE, JOHN The Piano Works 9. Jovita Zahl, Thomas Meixner. Mode

GRAUPNER, CHRISTOPH Orchestral Suites. Finnish Baroque Orchestra / Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch. Ondine

HANDEL Six Piano Concertos Op. 4. Matthais Kirschnereit, Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss, Lavard Skou Larsen. CPO SACD
My comment: I wonder if this one is played on a piano? Not unusual for Bach, but for Handel it's a different story...

HANTAI, PIERRE Complete Recordings. Naive 8cds

HAYDN, JOSEPH London Symphonies 99, 100, 101. Cappella Coloniensis / Bruno Weil. ARS Produktion SACD

Magnificat
*CD1 ALESSANDRO SCARLATTI | MAGNIFICAT | DIXIT DOMINUS
* CD2 ALESSANDRO MELANI | MAGNIFICAT | LAUDATE PUERI...
*CD3 & 4 ANTONIO VIVALDI | VESPRI
* CD5 BENCINI, CARISSIMI ...| MAGNIFICAT (PER LA VERGINE MARIA)
* CD6 & 7 CLAUDIO MONTEVERDI | VESPRO
Concerto Italiano / Rinaldo Alessandrini
Selection with great moments of sacred music. The most beautiful Magnificat recordings, some of them very rarely recorded. Re-discover the power and the beauty of those key works of the sacred repertoire.
Naive 7cds OP30555

MENDELSSOHN`S WORLD The Violin Sonatas. Andreas Reiner, Desar Sulejmani. Farao

MOZART / HAYDN / BEETHOVEN Sebastian Knauer - Vienna 1789. Sebastian Knauer, Zurcher Kammerorchester / Sir Roger Norrington. Berlin Classics

MOZART March in D Major K. 335, Serenade in D Major K. 320 Posthorn-Serenade, Symphony in D Major K. 385. Concentus Musicus Wien / Nikolaus Harnoncourt. Sony

MOZART Portrait. 1781-91 The decade of masterpieces. Harmonia Mundi 8cds

PART Fur Anna Maria, Complete Piano Music. Jeroen Van Veen. Brilliant Classics 2cds

SCHOENBERG Verklarte Nacht. Heinz Hollinger. Zig Zag Territoires

SCHUBERT String Quintet in C D956. Miklos Perenyi, Kuss Quartet. Onyx

SCHUBERT, FRANZ String Quintet in C major D956. Anne Gastinel, Quatuor Diotima. Naive

SKROWACZEWKI, STANISLAW 90th Birthday Collection. Oehms 28cds

TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Trio Op. 50 ARENSKY Piano Trio Op. 32. Trio Wanderer. Harmonia Mundi

TELEMANN, GEORG PHILIPP Ouvertures a 8 for 3 oboes, bassoon, strings and continuo. Alfredo Bernardini, Zefiro Baroque Orchestra. Arcana

There are about two handfulls of re-releases from Universal/DG/Decca in the Blu-Ray Audio format - I think this is a new trend:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/new-releases.html?dir=asc&formats=6246&genre=5902&order=name&releaseperiod=7685

Posted on 4 Nov 2013, 10:53:07 GMT
Malx says:
One up coming re-release that is interesting me is the R Strauss recordings of Kempe remastered by Warner Classics.
The main reason I haven't purchased these recordings before is that the sound seemed a little woolly ( not a technical term I know).

R. Strauss: Orchestral Works

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2013, 11:14:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Nov 2013, 11:55:54 GMT
Malx: The Strauss/Kempe recordings have appeared in various guises and, no doubt, various remasterings. They were recorded between 1970 and 1976. The EMI box set I have has remasterings from between 1987 and 1992. Listening to Don Quixote (1973/1987) I can't say I find the sound 'woolly'. It is not as crystal-clear as some modern digital recordings but I have no problems with it. Kempe is one of my favourite conductors so I would put up with a lot soundwise though I don't find any reason to in this set.

Afterword: Just after posting the above the recording hit a rough patch - the attack on the windmills. I compared it with a 2012 recording (Stenz/Gurzenich) and it is clearer but Kempe takes the passage more vigorously. I would still unhesitatingly recommend the set.

Posted on 4 Nov 2013, 13:38:42 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Nov 2013, 13:39:03 GMT]

Posted on 4 Nov 2013, 19:02:00 GMT
Malx says:
Geoffrey with your recommendation and others I have had, together with the newly mastered sound I think I will take a chance and buy this time around.

Posted on 4 Nov 2013, 20:38:09 GMT
enthusiast says:
I have quite a few of the Kempe performances - he was a truly great Straussian - but this set looks to be a striking bargain.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the classical music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What are you listening to right now III 3064 14 hours ago
What are you reading, music or otherwise? 587 15 days ago
Mahler 10? 15 18 days ago
Bulletin Board for Your Miscellaneous Items of General Interest 599 26 days ago
Heads Up 1375 28 May 2017
Thoughts at Random 989 26 May 2017
Amazon search changes 7 25 May 2017
Classical vinyls 9 19 May 2017
The Well Tempered Clavier 17 13 May 2017
What concerts or operas are you attending? 962 2 May 2017
Prominent recordings 5 29 Apr 2017
Birth of British Music BBC (Handel) 17 26 Apr 2017

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  414
Initial post:  17 Jul 2013
Latest post:  27 Oct 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers