Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited 4 months for £0.99 Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Fun Fantasy books needed for 11 year-old son.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2010, 09:07:03 BST
Fiona West says:
My son has become hooked on reading after attending a workshop by Sam Wilding, a Scottish author, and has now read all his books. I am looking for more of the same please. Fantasy but with some laugh out loud moments and some real family issues. He's started on the Garth Nix books but...

Posted on 20 May 2010, 11:33:35 BST
that's great! Terry Pratchett does good fun fantasy, he does younger books like Nation and Truckers, Diggers and Wings. But he may also like the adult discworld series too, i think i started those aged 12. different titles have different recurring characters - i like the city watch ones best which i think start with Guards, Guards.

Posted on 20 May 2010, 17:03:46 BST
Jasonpenny says:
My son loved the chris riddell books especially the twig trilogy also Dragon Rider by cornelia funke and Nightmare Academy series were great.

Posted on 20 May 2010, 18:17:41 BST
Garrett Carr says:
Dear Fiona
If I may suggest my own book, The Badness of Ballydog. It is written for readers around your son's age. It is set in the west of Ireland, it has all the themes you mention seeking. Here are links to some reviews:

The Times, http://www.bit.ly/aJ72aQ

Write Away (books for schools), http://www.bit.ly/9ut1EF

The Irish Independent, http://www.bit.ly/8Xi0qg

Thank you
Garrett

www.garrettcarr.net

Posted on 20 May 2010, 19:33:14 BST
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Jan 2013, 06:59:02 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2010, 06:54:34 BST
Zippy says:
I agree with the Sam Wilding books. A breath of fresh air. Read them myself. I would also recommend The Scary Bones Adventures and Garth Nix

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2010, 10:49:11 BST
I really do think The Tales of Mossy Dell may be the answer. It contains some very funny moments including A Little Peoples Convention. Mark Wetherby

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2010, 15:25:22 BST
katimushu says:
You have recommended your book for 3-4 year olds and now for an 11 year old. Isn't it a tad presumptuous to say 'destined to become future classics'??
I for one never buy books that the author has been plugging on these discussions.

Posted on 21 May 2010, 15:50:05 BST
J.Yasimoto says:
The Hobbit.

Posted on 21 May 2010, 16:05:51 BST
ajk77 says:
Garth Nix - but... not fun enough? which ones the Sabriel lot or the Mister Monday ones (my 11 year old quite liked latter not former) but does like:

Angie Sage: Magyk, Flyte etc.
David Eddings: the Belgariad, the Mallorean
Cornelia Funke: Dragonrider but also Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath and the Thief Lord
T H White: the Sword in the Stone
J R R Tolkein: the Hobbit
Eoin Colfer: Artemis Fowl and sequels
Philip Reeve: Mortal Engines and sequels

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010, 21:33:41 BST
LEP says:
How about the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan?

Posted on 24 May 2010, 15:42:18 BST
Lyn D says:
Try Blue Fire and Ice (The Land) and Furnaces of Forge (The Land) the first two books in an exciting new series. They are wonderful stories. My godson read them when he was 10-11 and loved them!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2010, 16:44:28 BST
L. M. Fraser says:
I'd thoroughly recommend J D Irwin's Edwin Spencer: Mission Improbable, published by Catnip Books. It's full of great characters with a fast-moving plot. Edwin isn't your obvious hero, and the book is all the better for that.

Posted on 25 May 2010, 12:45:53 BST
Ms. L. Regan says:
Take a look at 'Gertie Gets it Right (eventually)' by Lynne North. It's a fantasy that my grandkids found seriously funny!

Posted on 25 May 2010, 18:12:33 BST
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2010, 18:12:48 BST
Matt Jones says:
I am an aspiring writer. My first fantasy book is as complete as I can make it and is ready for beta readers. I've been told by an English teacher at my University it is for 10-12 year olds and is 'good enough' for publication, so if your son would be interested in reading it and perhaps offering a little feedback that would be great! I'd be happy to email you the PDF - you can email me at:

the_jedi_jones (at) hotmail (dot) com

Matt

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2010, 08:03:52 BST
Try Kernowland The Crystal Pool, first of a series set in alternative world called Erthwurld. Amusing and exciting. Author, Jack Trelawny visits hundreds of schools. See www.kernowland.com and www.erthwurld.com. Kernowland: Bk. 1: The Crystal Pool

Posted on 27 May 2010, 16:17:27 BST
Colin says:
There is a Scottish author called Lari Don who visited our local school and the kids thought she was great. Her novel First Aid for Fairies went down a storm with boys and girls according to my daughter who is 10. The heroes are a girl called Helen and a boy/centaur called Yann who are up against a scary minotaur. It's clever and modern.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2010, 16:31:06 BST
Shadowsnatch says:
If he wants laugh out loud than it kind of limits my suggestions, but I'm sure he'll love (he he hasn't already read it) The Jiggy Macque series. They are hilarious, easy reads that will amuse almost anyone. The books are:
Maggot Pie
The Toilet of Doom
The Killer Underpants
Ryan's Brain
The Poltergoose
Nudie Dudie

You ca read them in any order.
(ps. I may have missed some by accident)

Posted on 28 May 2010, 12:16:47 BST
I would certainly recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. My ten-year-old is loving them and his reading is quite advanced. He was also gripped by the Lemony Snickett 'Series of Unfortunate Events' and 'Wolf Brother' and sequels by Michelle Paver. Don't know about family issues being featured in the above but lots of fantasy fun and excellent writing. For sibling relationships and divorce/family breakup, I found the Spiderwick Chronicles handled these issues sensitively,cleverly and without being patronising. Josh has also read lots of the Alex Ryder books which are very easy reading. I am also looking for something good he can get his teeth into next...

Posted on 29 May 2010, 12:56:07 BST
Mortal Engines and Artemus Fowl have got to be a good fit for a boy with a sense of humour and adventure! If he's the Star Wars type - he might also enjoy Scott Westerfeld's new series, Leviathan - an alternate World War II in which the German world is run by mechanical contraptions and England is run by Darwinists ... so technology is driven by genetically constructed machines (eg a zepellin which is really a flying whale) - it's so cool!

Good luck!

Candy Gourlay
Author of TALL STORY (unfortunately not an adventure series but lots of comedy)

Posted on 31 May 2010, 01:39:52 BST
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2010, 01:45:03 BST
"Magic Parcel" series is fun. Starting with "The Awakening" (out 11 June) the trilogy is designed for anyone who has a shred of imagination and who might harbour secret dreams to be able to explore strange new worlds. Jimmy Scoggins, a nine year old boy with a love of adventure and fun, is the hero. Go on; travel with him. I dare you.
Much more about the stories at www.frankenglish.co.uk

Posted on 2 Jun 2010, 12:13:05 BST
ajk77 says:
Michele Paver's Chronicles of Darkness - the wolf's outlookd is what tickles my son's sense of homour

Posted on 2 Jun 2010, 20:33:54 BST
I definitely agree with those that have recommended the Percy Jackson series. They're very very readable and exciting, often funny and often scary, and I really like the main character.

Posted on 2 Jun 2010, 21:37:19 BST
The Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage is a great fantasy book with amazing laugh out loud moments and some ties into family. I'm fifteen and I LOVE them but they are definitly an easy read (although, perhaps quite long books) and they are technicly children's fantasy ages 12+

Posted on 2 Jun 2010, 22:09:55 BST
Liam Cahill says:
The Jewels of valonia by Katie paterson
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  82
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  20 May 2010
Latest post:  23 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers