Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

Inspirational biographies: role models

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 145 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 01:11:20 GMT
Pia says:
O Love How Deep: A Tale of Three Souls about being a Christian in the modern Western world.

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 21:24:17 GMT
Leghorn says:
The Buttercup: The Remarkable Story of Andrew Ewing and the Buttercup Dairy Company

The true story of a man who made his fortune and quietly gave it all away in his ultimate desire to die a poor man. Read the reviews and go to the website - the story is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 16:41:01 GMT
Edgar says:
Try Thinking Caps by Maggi Toner-Edgar an inspirational story told through a collection of hats!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 16:41:37 GMT
Edgar says:
Try Thinking Caps by Maggi Toner-Edgar an inspirational story told through a collection of hats!

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 17:03:08 GMT
V. Bowe says:
the story of a shipwrecked sailor written by gabriel garcia marquez.

it is about a sailor stuck on a raft at sea with no food or water and surrounded by sharks. it is an inspirational story based on true events. it is not depressing but very uplifting, written about a very humble man and only 106 pages. highly recommended

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 07:11:17 GMT
Shot and a Ghost: A Year in the Brutal World of Professional Squash

James Willstrop's book, part-diary, part-autobiography of his 'brutal' year on the professional squash tour. Forget the football moaners, this is truly inspirational. True dedication to a mentally exhausting sport. Forget the myths of squash being boring inside four walls. A different, candid read.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2012 20:42:20 GMT
Jacques Lusseyran's AND THERE WAS LIGHT (male figure).
Wonderful...profoundly inspiration--one of the greatest spiritual autobiographies of the last century--as well known in France as Helen Keller's MY LIFE.
Women:
WEST WITH THE NIGHT by Beryl Markham--Hemingway wished that he'd have written it...men are still falling in love with this self-invented aviatrix/horsewoman/lover and rival of Baroness Blixen (I.D.).
The spiritual autobiographies of Barbara Brown Taylor--I love AN ALTAR IN THE WORLD--what a kind, loving and generous heart--and intellect! She's one of the greatest speakers of the century.
The work of Angie Debo...an exceptional historian on First Nations people in North America. Try to get hold of a documentary made about her called "INDIANS, OUTLAWS AND ANGIE DEBO".
The most entertaining teacher I know? Rosamond Bernier (her lectures on art at the Met in NY were the stuff of legend--as is her new autobiography). She knew--and was loved by--everybody.
THE WILDER SHORES OF LOVE by Leslie Blanch on 4 astonishing Victorian-era women on the edges of the world.
For a lovely piece of fiction: THE COUNTRY OF THE POINTED FIRS by Sarah Orne Jewett: a summer of adventure in the islands off of Maine.
For a very different sort of role model: REFLECTED GLORIES by Pamela Churchill Harriman, a modern courtesan--and nobody did it better.
Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2012 22:09:00 GMT
I would recommend Under and Alone, by William Queen.

Posted on 10 Mar 2012 07:56:37 GMT
Vongolo says:
'A Nest of Teachers - Edward Blishen An Autobiography'. Blishen writes gently with humour. His 'Cack-handed War is also excellent. Sadly these books seem to be out of print although second hand copies are available.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 19:05:38 GMT
Miss Wells says:
You must read the autobiography 'Some of these days' by Sophie Tucker, it's truly inspirational and a delight to read!
She was one of the most popular entertainers in America during the first half of the 20th century.
I am reading it at the moment and I can hardly put the book down!

Posted on 28 May 2012 16:30:21 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 28 May 2012 16:30:42 BDT]

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 03:02:31 BDT
JimC says:
Where there's a Will, there's a way.: The remarkable life story of Will Crooks MP.

Mine is male too, and although not a teacher, his life story can teach us all how to be humanitarians. His name is Will Crooks and he was an early Labour Pioneer, but he was also a Poplar Guardian and was responsible for the running of the Poplar Workhouse. He fought for and brought in many social reforms. He humanized the Poor Law and improved the living conditions for so many in Victorian and early 20th century Britain. You also owe your national old age pension to him as he was one of the national old age pension committee members that campaigned for 10 years for the introduction of the first ever old pension scheme back in 1908. He was also responsible for the unemployed being a Government responsibility and among other things campaigned for free school dinners for Britain's poor children and helped bring an end to baby farming in London. Did I mention that as part of the LCC he was responsible for giving Londoners the Rotherhithe Tunnel and the Greenwich and Woolwich foot tunnels?

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 09:11:35 BDT
Mike Earle says:
Hello. I am biased, but i can strongly recommend 'A Mountain to Climb on Timor' by Michael Earle, in which the mountain is physical but also a metaphor for overcoming innumerable problems to achieve a goal...

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 09:27:25 BDT
eJD says:
The Molecules That Surround Us

It's inspirational in an off beat morose way

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 18:35:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2012 18:36:15 BDT
BookWeek says:
It's not only a doctor's medical school education, residency training, and launching into practice that's so demanding, but what may be creeping into the professional's personal life along the way. - A Physician's Plight: A Memoir - Professional Success ... Personal Disaster. The predicaments which befall the antagonist could happen to anyone, especially for the primary wage earner in a relationship, regardless of career.

"This book pulls no punches - nothing is sacred, nothing is left out! Anesthesiologist Katherine Klein, MD, gives us "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of her family-of-origin, her marital suffering, and her divorce, which landed her in Family Court."
Josh Grossman, MD, FACP, Col. (ret.), U.S. Army Medical Corps

"A Physician's Plight" is an intriguing read that shouldn't be missed for readers of personal memoirs.
Mary Cowper, Reviewer, The Midwest Book Review

A Physician's Plight: A Memoir - Professional Success ... Personal Disaster

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 14:10:56 BDT
Finding Poland

This is about a group of inspiring women, although in an unconventional way. Less heroics and more survival.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 07:49:34 BDT
jillipen says:
Could try this - The diary of a single parent abroad

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 22:15:31 BDT
MaureenMcvey says:
A wonderfully inspirational book which I readon holiday recently was by Kris Holloway called
"Monique and the Mango Rains. The book is an extraordinary story of friendship in a Midwife's house in Mali. I was moved and truely inspired by Monique.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 21:35:28 BDT
J Baldwin says:
I really enjoyed "Bridge Across My Sorrows" by Christina Noble- basically, after a childhood of abuse, poverty, etc. she goes to Vietnam and helps the street children there. That's a really awful summary of a really good book, but as a warning it's harsh of the Catholic Church, so you might not want to read it you're religious

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jul 2012 10:31:18 BDT
I saw your post and felt I needed to reply, Read Cherry Blossom Children - One Foster Parents Story by Dani Valdis. An ordinary family providing truly inspiring acievements. Read the reviews, they speak for themselves. I read this a couple of months ago and I find I am still thinking about it and all they achieved over many years. Well worth it.Cherry Blossom Children - One Foster Parent's Story

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 12:39:47 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 3 Oct 2012 15:58:23 BDT]

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 09:54:20 GMT
A Hill of Beans

Have you ever been bullied, molested, or told "You don't have the sense you were born with," "You are going out of the world backward," "You are a knucklehead," "You are mentally slow," "You are too small to play a game," "You are not strong enough," "You are a quitter," "You will never finish anything," "People like you should not go to college," "You are stupid," "You were meant to be a laborer," "You are ugly," or "YOU WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO A HILL OF BEANS"?

This autobiography of my life story is for all of the people who have been put down or discouraged by family, friends, classmates, or society at large. I hope that it will help you to not give up on your hopes and dreams. May it strengthen your faith in God, yourself, and your fellow men.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 10:23:05 GMT
My book is now available...Such a lovely true story

It's a Ture Lovestory that is similar to something films are made, but because it's True and written by me gives it an edge.
First review through is below

Finally off to bed with tears in my eyes after reading half of the book. Just want to hug you both 04:20 21/11/12

Yeah, finished it today! I am really moved by the story. Liked how sincere and honest it's written, loved the humour, it was a really enjoyable read! The middle part had me totally in tears. Never experienced anything as bad as what's happened to you. I am glad you found the strength to start living your life again and what a life it is Kev! It also made me quite emotional at the way you were/ are with Jane and what a gentleman you are ) It's like a fairytale love story!
The book definitely captured my attention, didn't want to put it down. The chapters nicely flow from one to another making you want more! What a great job and an amazing achievement! I think Louie and Olivia will have to make it into trilogy telling the stories of their lives when they grow up. Though hope no more accidents ;) x 14:00 22/11/12

Please help to promote

Posted on 22 Apr 2013 21:51:35 BDT
People who have read my book tell me it's inspiring and most say they did it in one sitting - I think we are ordinary ( my daughter and me) but quite a few people say I'm wrong
It's called Perfectly Flawed by me Molvia Maddox

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2013 05:08:53 BDT
Marie Curie, Polish scientists who worked on radiology research and was a profesor is one of my favourite. I red her biography fifty years ago and it was very good. Inspiration for my life nd work.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (214 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
45 6 Apr 2015
the rose coloured wish by florence bone 25 22 Dec 2015
Laugh out loud books? 52 28 Aug 2015
Biographies on gay Alan Turing show he had parental neglect as a kid (mygenes.co.nz) 282 19 Aug 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than watching paint dry 30 31 Jul 2015
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 33 20 Jul 2015
Bio on Man Of Truth showed he had repetitive word syndrome called Hill! (delusional.com) 28 25 May 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than Monty Python by various TV stations 363 23 May 2015
HELP! Recommendations for history novels authors please 52 18 May 2015
I have forgotten the title of this book 73 7 May 2015
Best Biography? 464 16 Mar 2015
A desperate young man, ex coal miner, grabs an opportunity and now mixes with film stars 2 21 Jan 2015

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  107
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  2 May 2011
Latest post:  22 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions