Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > bbc discussion forum

A question about Region locking on BBC DVDs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2011 07:02:24 GMT
S. Enfield says:
I'm from Australia and use my PS3 for playing DVDs and Blu-Rays and was looking to buy "The Life Collection", unfortunately it's Region 2 and the Australian PS3 is locked on Region 4. I have however heard that BBC DVDs are not really locked and do play on other region players. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is in fact the case.

Thank you very much.
Your reply to S. Enfield's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2011 06:53:13 GMT
Ekka says:
I don't know if it applies to all BBC DVDs, but the last couple I've bought have been marked both Region 2 and Region 4, and I've played them on my Region 4 player.. This seems often to be the case with DVDs from the UK.

Posted on 30 Mar 2011 21:07:02 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
Looks like you're in luck...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LIFE-COLLECTION-David-Attenborough-NEW-DVD-Set-R4-/190463395164

The link is to a listing on the Australian eBay site offering the Region 2 box-set (the same 24-disc version you're looking at here on Amazon UK) and the description confirms that it is Region 4 compatible despite only saying Region 2 on the box.

Quote "Please Note: The boxset only has the Region 2 logo on the packaging, but discs are Region 4 also. DVDs will work on any Australian (Region 4) DVD player."

Looks like you're safe to buy the UK version.

Posted on 30 Mar 2011 21:15:04 BDT
Neal Vincent says:
You probably already know this, but "The Life Collection" is available officially on Region 4 DVD - although it's apparently missing "Life on Earth" and so weighs in at a "mere" 20 discs instead of the 24 discs you get with the UK version.

Might be more cost-effective to just buy the Australian box-set and get "Life on Earth" separately? Shipping a box-set that size halfway around the planet would surely cost the Earth!

Posted on 9 May 2011 17:31:34 BDT
The easiest way is to get a DVD player where you can alter the Region settings, preferably to 0 (region-free)

Posted on 23 Dec 2011 05:28:21 GMT
mythmaker says:
I think all BBC DVDs (and indeed, many British discs in general) are dual Region 2/4 compatible, whether explicitly said on the package or not.

Posted on 26 Dec 2011 09:41:56 GMT
Z. Heighton says:
I just heard from my friend in America that she cannot play the Frozen Planet DVD I sent her for Christmas. It comes up with 'region error'. Where does it say this on the packaging? Isn't this in the department of restrictive practices? On checking now I see that America is Region 1 and we are Region 4, but how does the DVD player know?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2011 15:29:35 GMT
As part of factory setup, the DVD player is generally locked to the specific region it is going to be sold in - this is part of the DVD-CCA regs. Of course - you can always get cheap disc-spinners that *cough* set it in software*cough*, and there are *cough*service commands*cough* accessible via the remote control. Through these, it's possible to set the player to "any region".

This is matched with a flag on the DVD itself.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2011 17:34:53 GMT
Z. Heighton says:
Thankyou so much for this advice, I will pass this on intact, and hope she has a cheap disc-spinning friend who can help her. And I hope your cough gets better soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 00:50:13 GMT
VVY says:
Neal,
It's cheaper to use the Super Delivery Free offer.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 00:52:07 GMT
VVY says:
Most new models of DVD players in Australia are multi-region coded.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2011 00:54:00 GMT
VVY says:
Heighton,
Because its embedded in the DVD data

Posted on 22 Feb 2012 10:18:28 GMT
R. A. Caton says:
Try googling the make/model of the DVD player with the words "region free".
the chances are you'll find a page telling you 1. how to get to the "service menu" of the player and 2. set it to region 0

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 03:27:26 GMT
PS3 will not play in PAL or 50i but some players do play PAL. I just picked up the LG BD630 and works great for a UK version of Sherlock Seasons 1 and 2 region free.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 12:23:15 GMT
Stu2009 says:
Go to Kogan http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Improving+Communications+21012-02-22&utm_content=Improving+Communications+21012-02-22+CID_8e9c278d8ac2d358893e6ea8234fa9e3&utm_source=MailList&utm_term=Shop+at+Kogan . You are in Australia and can buy from these guys....According to what I have read, Australia does not allow "locked DVD or Bluray players" to be sold....So buy either a DVD player or better still a Bluray player from them that is "Region Free"...Hope this helps...Stu

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 12:30:07 GMT
Stu2009 says:
As a follow up... I'm in the Americas... and buy many DVD sets from amazon.co.uk and have them shipped to my Americas address....just have to get a DVD player that can be made region free(many available, and codes are available on the internet @ different sites) and away you go. My problem was, no outlet to buy BBC DVD's appart from the most popular, and at excessively high prices...

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 01:23:05 GMT
Kennyboy says:
I just purchased the Fades and Frozen Planet from Amazon UK where they are both listed as region free. I live in the US. Both play on my Oppo BDP-83 but neither BBC bluray will output a video signal on my two Panasonic bluray players. I guess it's just a fluke that the Oppo can handle the disks. I've only to conclude that the two BBC blurays are not in fact region free as advertised. The firmware is current on the Panasonics.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the bbc discussion forum (28 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Spot Bots on dvd. 2 23 days ago
I cant beleive the bbc haven't released the 2nd&3rd series of "Big Deal" 0 8 Jul 2016
BBC series you'd like on disc 331 9 Feb 2016
Book (Did these stories really happen?) shows the Lusitania brought the US into WW1 and was more important than the Titanic--BBC should make a Lusitania documentary 52 2 Feb 2016
Which comedy sketch show showed Satan tempting Jesus with coffee and bubble wrap? 10 25 Sep 2015
The Numtums on dvd. 1 14 Sep 2015
BBC: make Benny Hill documentary and show he was funnier than Monty Python 62 31 Aug 2015
Nelly & Nora on dvd. 1 28 Aug 2015
Go Jetters on dvd. 1 28 Jul 2015
The Next Step on dvd. 1 28 Jul 2015
Why is Redcap (Tamzin) not on DVD. 4 5 Apr 2015
Does anyone know if BBC will ever release Brian Cox's Wonders of Life with no region restrictions? 3 21 Jul 2014

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  bbc discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  21 Feb 2011
Latest post:  2 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions