Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > action discussion forum

most over rated fim you have seen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 873 posts in this discussion
Posted on 13 Apr 2012, 14:58:42 BST
Ben Lear says:

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 15:27:36 BST
Cheddarwasp says:
Okay that's a draw!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012, 15:07:11 BST
OK Cheddarwasp - I'm first in line!
By the way - I cannot abide Woody Allen - never have - never will - I guess we're even now!!!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 15:02:48 BST
Cheddarwasp says:
Totally agree with the "INCEPTION IS CRAP" monicker. As for STAR WARS I can't see what the fuss was about. The original way back in 1977 fell into my "just okay" folder. I must have missed something as I haven't been the least bit tempted to watch any of the others that followed. I'm so glad ANNIE HALL prevented it from winning the Academy Award for Best Film of that year. Now for the onslaught.......................................................

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012, 14:22:23 BST
caduceaus says:
How we all agree with you - Inception was utter crap

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012, 14:10:07 BST
And usually it's the worst ones, and the same ones over and over, and usually by all the same "artists". Oh well! Mind you, the line in beautiful thing reagrding Madogga was great. When Shirley from EastEnders asked a girl why she was listening to Mamma Cass in this day and age as: "What's wrong with Madonna", the answer came perfectly spat and termed: "SHE'S A SLAG!" Enough said!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 14:04:14 BST
Fair enough Scott. I've never watched Bridget Jones's Diary let alone the sequel or Moulin Rouge. But it's true when we hate something we tend to see it more than somebody who doesn't. Films set in 70s/80s rarely have music I actually like from those eras anyway (nor do really expect it too unless the film is geared up for it like Control). It's usually just throw in the nostalgic pop hits.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 13:48:04 BST
Abba = awful
Mamma Mia = awful

Also how did the daughter (anybody else) not seem that bothered by the fact the mother didn't know which man was the father of her kid ? Jeremy Kyle eat your heart out, Abba's got this one covered.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 13:41:49 BST
A Brown says:
Pearl Harbour! sooo terrible to have a stupid love triangle about an event so significant as the bombing in our history! (the actual scene regarding the bombing was moving and epic) but then back to another hour of lovey dubbey rubbish... and not so great acting skills.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 13:38:49 BST
Films are only overated if you don't like them,ie i think Inception is one of the worse films ever!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 13:37:11 BST
True, it isn't about music, but some others make it so. Actually Abba's so-called fans that actually embrace the illusion that they want them cheesier than they actually has always been a problem for me. Abba went through many highs and low, and in their last 3 years were making their best music, and typically it's this darker, less poppy-happy stuff that these people want to forget. I love Abba-and for that reason I HATE the musical-certainly the film of it as I don't think it does their legacy any favours at all beyond the hero-worship of their songs, which are blatantly used in the usual trite boy-meets-girl let's sing about. Really it's all about karaoke glorification-we can all sing Abba! Actually no you can't.

Tetro, man, I've lost complete count of all the films where that harridan bagdonna has been mentioned and/or has songs in. The 'Bridget Jones' sequel seemed written exactly just to impose her into the "story", and almost every 80s throwback will feature her, especially US films. They even worked her trash into 'Moulin Rouge' and that film was supposed to be classy-something as alien to her as being likeable instead of feared. No doubt cos I hate her so much, I'm hard-wired to notice more than others, but then, if it wasn't there, I wouldn't! The same thing with The Cure on soundtracks, especially on films that replay the 80s for a story like 'Starter For 10'. I think the band's families must work as scriptwriters or teaboys.

Back to topic, the nougties 'Star Wars' get a lot of bashing, and many call them bad films, but the first three with Harrison Ford definitely escape such a battering, don't they, and surely their age shows in places.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012, 13:19:14 BST
"On enduring 'Mamma Mia', didn't it cross your mind to tell your girlfriend no?"

Sometimes we do things that our partners like because they want to do them and we love them. True that I wasn't actually hearing Abba, but I got to say it didn't help it was Abba's songs. Not sure I'd feel any better if it was actually Abba singing them. Just don't understand how Mammia Mia! was sooo popular. But as I stated, I'm not the demographic it's aiming at.

"To anyone, why the hell are the wretched Cure, alongside Madonna, seemingly tainting almost every soundtrack to every other movie that comes out. "

What films are you watching dude? I genuinely can't remember that many films with either The Cure or Madonna tracks in them.

It's not that Abba are over-rated (they are btw) it's that people seem to revel in their kitschness that grates on me.

As this is about films not music I'll throw in all The Star Wars films (Eps 4-6) and duck for cover. I'm not saying they are bad films, just to clarify, but I think as I've grown older I see so many holes in them that I find it hard to declare them as brilliant as my ten-year-old-self would once have done.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012, 02:01:17 BST
Sadly when the film was being dissected at a media seminar, there was no such luxury. Plus when I'd endured it before, that was as I'd paid good money to rent it out hearing it was the new "Short Cuts" and the "best original drama in years", and also expected better from all the actors in it I was already used to seeing in other things.

On enduring 'Mamma Mia', didn't it cross your mind to tell your girlfriend no? Anyway you weren't exactly listening to Abba, you were hearing bad singers mangling their songs. I suppose they'll soom be doing film musicals of the world's worst person Madonna, and Kylie andOne Direction etc. all.

To anyone, why the hell are the wretched Cure, alongside Madonna, seemingly tainting almost every soundtrack to every other movie that comes out. And why does Madogga always have to be MENTIONED in a movie or TV series even if her 'music' isn't. Abba overrated? They haven't got nothing on this old sow and she won't even disappear into retirement for as little as a year!

Posted on 8 Apr 2012, 17:28:09 BST
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2012, 17:28:59 BST
Paranormal activity - felt like a security gaurd by the end of it (ironically I was the one who paid to see it, shouldn't I be getting paid for watching that CCTV footage?)

Posted on 8 Apr 2012, 10:02:45 BST
" OH MY GOD, MAKE IT S-T-O-P!!" - It's the little button with a square on it.

So I'm not exactly the target demographic but after being dragged to the cinema to watch Mamma Mia! by my girlfriend I found myself trapped in hell. Closing my eyes didn't really help as I still had to listen to the gratingly chirpy sounds of Abba. They're like Kitsch and camp inbred. The shame is their names weren't Simon, Harry,Ingrid and Tracy, just so everybody is clear. The fact Abba is one of the most over-rated pop groups and I'd rather be stabbed in the face than listen to them Mamma Mia turned the torture up to eleven by having the actors singe the songs.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012, 01:21:28 BST
Mr. A. Ali says:
cloverfield - uurrrggghh only film that gives me a migraine and the guy with the camera i wanted to kill myself nevermind the giant rubber duck i mean monster, just hope that the second one never materialises

Posted on 2 Apr 2012, 18:10:00 BST
Dee42 says:
slumdog millionaire for me, sorry i just didnt get all the fuss

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 17:05:47 BST
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2012, 17:13:31 BST
But I think 1999 and beyond had lots of films marketed through the heavens way far more than they were ever worth and I think 'Happiness', 'Magnolia', 'Wolf Creek', 'Paranormal Activity' 'Eden Lake', 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Pan's Labyrinth' defo fall into this category aswell, all of them far more insulting in their payoff than 'Blair Witch' ever was-and some like 'Wolf Creek', 'Magnolia' and 'Happiness' were purgatory pretty much all the way through, though one could alternate with hysterical laughter and screams of frustration the 500 year running time it took to get to th end of 'Magnolia', before almost giving up on life entirely, knowing you'd wasted half your life in such an unforgiving way and had quite probably lost your bleeding voice aswell, if only to make yourself heard over all the caricatures screaming THEIR heads off every five minutes, when they weren't dying of some absurd disease, hit by falling frogs (WTF?!), weeing themselves on gameshows, abusing their parents/abusing their kids, refusing wills in their favour etc. and OH MY GOD, MAKE IT S-T-O-P!!

Posted on 1 Apr 2012, 15:12:57 BST
sovay says:
The Blair Witch project has to up there among the most over rated films of all time. It was a triumph of the power of marketing that this film had a cinema release at all.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011, 01:00:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2011, 01:00:51 GMT
kurt's fan says:
Dark Knight, Inception, Inglorious basterds

Posted on 1 Dec 2011, 23:05:12 GMT
TJ10017 says:
I will probably take some heat for this, but I found Schindler's List and Philadelphia WAY overrated. People think if you criticize these films you are criticizing the events or issues that inspired them. Not true. (Funny how if you like The Producers, no one accuses you of being pro-Nazi.) Schindler's List struck me as emotionally sterile, as most if not all of Spielberg's films are. (Let's face it, he has never been an "actor's director"; he's all about spectacle, not acting.) Philadelphia? Forget it. Never for a second did I accept Tom Hanks as a gay man with Antonio Banderas as his life partner, and without that the movie is just a poorly acted morality lesson. That's not why I go to the cinema.

Posted on 30 Nov 2011, 10:02:12 GMT
LOTR and Avatar

Posted on 29 Nov 2011, 21:04:32 GMT
For me, it has to be "Scarface".

Bought it on Blu-ray as I had never seen it before, but sold it after watching it once.

Don't get me wrong, but I absolutely love gangster films. However, this was SO boring and I couldn't understand what Al Pacino was saying half the time. The dodgy 80s disco music certainly mad me laugh though! Also over the years I've heard a lot of sound bites from the film in various hip-hop songs, but it still didn't change the fact I wouldn't rush to watch this film again.

Posted on 29 Nov 2011, 20:19:55 GMT
Tony says:
most overrated film ever was lost in translation...it certainly was on me!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011, 16:26:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Nov 2011, 16:27:56 GMT
Mike D. says:
The Road?
The book is absolutely brilliant. So brilliant, that I have no intention of watching the film for fear of spoiling the imprint the book has left on my mind.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the action discussion forum (525 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  action discussion forum
Participants:  348
Total posts:  873
Initial post:  1 Oct 2010
Latest post:  22 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers