Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2004
I bought this book mainly for chapter 6 "Going Organic", as FormZ's organic modelling capabilities seem to have changed quite considerably with version 4.
I have kind of mixed feelings about this book. It isn't brilliant, but it does seem to be better than anything else out there on FormZ.
One of my gripes is that for me it does not quite live up to its claim of being a workshop type course. Sure, it shows you what the various tools can do with little examples, but those examples are rather abstract and do not really clarify the relevance of the tool to any real-world design problem. So as so many software instruction books it falls into the trap of inundating the reader with huge amounts of detail of which he cannot judge the relevance.
On a more positive note: each chapter ends with a larger example, in which techniques from that chapter are put to use.
Another gripe: this book is not without errors, I've come across quite a few already. Here's just one: Figure 6.19 (p.22) and Figure 6.21 (p.23)are exactly the same figure: one of them must be wrong.
on 20 January 2010
I bought this book as it was on a recomendation list of books for my uni course. I have never used it! got a few laectures on form-Z at uni and realised it is a waste of time. It is not the simplest package to use and doesnt produce the best results. as soon as 1st year was over we were no longer encouraged to use this software and I dont know many architecture practises that use it. Choose a better known software. don't waste your valuable time Students!