Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

To everybody saying the display is dim!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2009, 18:00:06 BST
Bungle says:
It's not. You need to remove the clear plastic film that is stuck to the front of the unit to protect it from scratches in transit. Duh!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013, 17:39:03 GMT
Kallio says:
Thats not it. It's too dim in the dark. Whats the point of having to put the light on to read the time???

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013, 19:27:18 GMT
davey1403 says:
Agree with you that removing plastic film does not solve the problem of reading the time in the dark. However I did read a post on another amazon forum that by pressing the snooze button lights up the display for a few seconds. Not totally satisfactory but that seems to be the best that PURE can do. PURE could learn a lesson from the ROBERTS radio by having a manual dimming control.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013, 15:37:40 GMT
Bungle says:
It's not too dim. When was the last time you had your eyes tested?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013, 20:13:22 GMT
davey1403 says:
Your well named bungle! Two people in this discussion says it is too dark, one says it isnt. Seems that you are in the minority and if your latest comment is all you have to say then i suggest you keep your mouth shut on here and join a site where like minded people like you congregate.

Posted on 9 Feb 2013, 21:11:49 GMT
Bungle says:
Two people? What does that prove? I could show you two people that say the Moon is made of green cheese. 136 people have rated this unit 5 stars, and plenty of plenty of people have stated that there is no problem with the brightness. Honestly how dark does this display have to be for one not to be able to read it in the dark and when your irises are fully open when it's sitting right next to you? Get real.

And who the hell do you think you are telling me to "keep my mouth shut"?? You really are a rather arrogant chap, aren't you.......

Posted on 6 Jan 2014, 17:08:00 GMT
daniel noon says:
just get the new update for it and it will give you the option to turn it off

Posted on 29 May 2014, 20:38:10 BST
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2014, 20:52:59 BST
D. Wilson says:
I have two of these radios, the first one I brought from a supermarket several years ago and it works absolutely fine. At night the screen auto-dims, but is still at a readable level.

As I was so impressed with the first radio, I brought a second unit from Amazon for a relative last year. This one however auto-dims to complete darkness; you cannot read the screen at all when it gets slightly dark in the room. Unfortunately the relative has only recently told me of this, so I won't be able to claim a refund.

My original radio is black and silver and the front face is completely smooth whereas the new radio is white and has a recess for the screen and light sensor. I'm not sure if this extra layer of plastic covering most of the sensor is causing any problems.

Also the new radio is already running the latest software version (v2.1), and the option to disable energy saving mode does not do anything noticeable. With energy saving either on or off, the screen still auto-dims.

<update>
I have just stripped down both radios and it seems they have different electronics inside. The older radio uses a light dependant resistor to sense ambient light (these devices are not terribly accurate), while the newer radio uses a photo diode.

After seeing this, I will assume that it was the designers intent to dim the screen to complete darkness, but the older versions did not dim completely due to their inferior components.
</update>
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  20 Apr 2009
Latest post:  29 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about