What are e-cigarettes?
An e-cigarette (also known as a vape) is a device that allows you to inhale nicotine through a vapour rather than smoke. E-cigarettes work by heating a liquid that typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine, and flavourings. There are a variety of models available:
- Cigalikes: These e-cigarettes look similar to tobacco cigarettes and are generally used in the same way as you’d smoke a cigarette. They tend to have small batteries
- Tank systems: These devices have less of a cigarette-like appearance, having a size comparable to a marker pen or small tube. They have a tank to store e-liquid and replaceable coils and the batteries tend to last longer than cigalike batteries
- Mods: Mods come in a range of shapes and sizes but are generally the largest e-cigarette devices, with longer-lasting batteries. They can generally support a wide range of tanks
How do I choose the right e-cigarette for me?
For many people, the choice between a cigalike, tank system or mod will be based on how much they smoke.
- If you’re a lighter smoker, a cigalike or tank system is likely to suffice
- If you are a heavier smoker, you could try a tank system or mod
- If you’re vaping ‘on the go’, you’ll need a device which is portable has a good battery life – although cigalikes are the most portable, a tank system or mod will be most suitable due to battery life
What are heated tobacco devices?
Whereas e-cigarettes heat a liquid, heated tobacco devices heat tobacco sticks without burning them, releasing vapour rather than smoke. These products deliver nicotine, are addictive and are for use by adults who smoke – not former smokers or people who have never smoked.