on 15 May 2015
After months of usage I have a fairly good idea of the pros and cons of this.

Pros: Allows me to plug my PC (via spdif gold mountain TOSlink), PS4, PS3 into my cheap surround sound setup (which has only basic inputs). Basically it's a toggle switch for all media / games audio devices. Saves unplugging / replugging stuff into the surround sound system. Fairly inexpensive.

Negatives:
1) It has a switch for 2.1(stereo) / 5.1 (surround) on the front. There is NO light / feedback to tell you which mode it's in. This is really annoying since you have to either remember or use a dolby test video to see which mode it's in. If someone changes it (since often voices can't be clearly heard if it's in the wrong mode) then it's back to the old routine of pressing the button and listening (rince-and repeat). Not awful but definitely an annoyance.

2) It's very untidy. The power lead and inputs are on the front. Since you need to get to the front, to regularly switch the device you want to listen to; it needs to be somewhere easily accessible. I have it at waist level under the tv. With four leads coming out of the front and bright blue lights that light up the room it's very unsightly.

Improvement Suggestions: Add a remote or even better an auto switch that can always tell which signal is on. Add feedback for stereo/ss.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 January 2018
I needed to sort out a way to have stereo headphones connected (for hard of hearing wife) to my surround sound system while still having the main speakers on 5.1 audio. The easy way of using the output jack on the tv wouldn't work as the audio was fed directly from a Raspberry Pi (running KODI, with optical/coax adapter) to the receiver. This adapter looked like it could be the answer. The RPi adapter had both coax and optical outputs, so one was connected to the surround sound receiver, and one connected to this D to A adapter. A quick test using heaphones directly connected to the L/R line out RCA connectors using the supplied adapter cable and it worked almost perfectly, but not loud enough for my purpose. There is a tiny difference in the processing time between this device and my surround sound receiver, but not enough to cause a problem. I had the output set to 2.1 so the dialogue would be present on the L/R outputs. I tried with media having DTS and Dolby Digital audio tracks, and both worked perfectly. I added a 5m headphone lead and a home made headphone amplifier and hey presto all working LOUD and CLEAR! I intend to use the second optical input to take the output from a Humax Freeview PVR so she can have the tv sound on her headphones too. Not tried this yet but sure it will work as some of the files I was testing it with were recorded on the Humax. I got the RCA output version to make it easier to try with the output set to 5.1 and use only the centre channel to feed the headphones. This may be ok most of the time as it is mainly the dialogue that needs to be fed to the headphones, although sometimes speech does come from the sides on 5.1 audio. The front panel LEDs are green on the one I was sent. Brightness is not an issue as the unit is tucked away under a chest of drawers.
Can't comment on reliability yet.
The item arrived quickly, and safely packed. The parcel tracking gave me a map of where the driver was so I knew within minutes when it was going to arrive.
on 22 February 2016
Smaller than I expected.

Pros:
Quite easy to set up without needing much help

Cons:
A lot less documentation than I thought (and a lot smaller)
Output must be sending DTS or Dolby Digital signals if using optical
You can change between 2.1 and 5.1 (I don't know why you'd want to) and there's no LED to show which mode it's in, so it's a bit trial and error. You can have two optical sources but there's no remote to change the input, you have to get on your hands and knees to change it
Wiring gets a bit messy
on 21 December 2016
Delivery was prompt and the setup was straightforward. Now my sound system with the superior speakers can work with the television. Modern televisions are quite thin and thus tend to give poor sound reproduction as the speakers are thin; the adapter means I can use my own system which is a cheaper and better solution than the usual soundbar. Note that the optical cable supplied is maybe a metre or less so may be prudent to order a longer one, depends on the cable configuration mess behind your tv.
on 15 January 2018
Very pleased with unit. Saves having separate amps/speakers for TV & DVD. Only critisism is that there is no indication on the unit when you are switched to 2.1 or 5.1, one additional led would have been sufficient
on 7 January 2016
Unit arrived promptly and well packaged. I purchased this to get all my audio gear going into one hi-fi. Now the Xbox goes into one Digital port, the tv into the other, and my HP wireless audio router into the Aux input. This leaves me with one coaxial input left!

Operated simply by pressing the input button to switch inputs, and another button to swith between 2 channel and 5.1 output. Build quality is very solid, and it's very easy to set up and use. Sdound quality is excellent as you'd expect. All in all, fantastic product.

If you have a stereo which only takes 1 set of 5.1 input (e.g. a home cinema surround system), but have several inputs you want to route into it, this product is an excellent value choice.
on 4 June 2016
Awsome product. Used to interface easy new Samsung smart tv via optical audio out to an old AV amp via it s6 channel decoded input. Work s street. No discernible eyelashes & ouputs both 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo a treat. A real bargain.
on 10 March 2017
Works perfectly and I am enjoying 5.1 surround sound on my new 5.1 headphones. Fast service and excellent customer services highly recommended.
on 3 November 2015
I bought three to connect three PCs to a single 5.1 system via a mixing desk and they worked fine. At this price you're not going to get top-quality DACs so likely I wouldn't use them for 'audiophile' applications but they are more than adequate for what I wanted them for as well as for use with DVD/BD players for connection to domestic A/V systems.
on 15 March 2017
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Absolutely brilliant!