on 21 June 2014
VERDICT :
Buy It !
It gives a mild but effective 'breeze' if close enough.
It doesn't make much noise.
The quality and construction are good.
It works and it's worth the money.

USB FAN COMPARED TO A MAINS FAN :
As you'll probably know, the normal type of fan that you plug into a standard mains socket ( 240 volts ) is much more powerful and effective than a 5 volt USB fan.
But if you can't plug into the mains, then this mini USB fan is a reasonable alternative.

AIR FLOW STRENGTH :
This Mini USB fan doesn't give the 'Cool and soft wind' or the ' Strong wind' that the blurb on the box claims. It will only give you a small amount of cool air. But small is better than nothing on a burning hot day. And in fact, it's quite effective.

TIP :
If you're restricted to using mini fans, two of them working together might give the amount of cool air you need. If you don't have enough USB sockets, a USB multi adapter would allow you to plug in 2 fans.

BRAND NAME :
Lileng 815. USB Mini Fan. Made in China.
That's according to the box it came in.

SELLER :
Bought from Laptop Kit UK - Fulfilled by Amazon.

COST :
£10 including postage. ( purchased June 2014 ).

DELIVERY :
2 days after clicking, it landed on my door mat.
So, the stock is obviously stored in the UK rather than China.

QUALITY :
Very good quality.
Superior to the plastic versions, partly because it has metal blades.
Construction : Efficient design. No sharp edges. Strong enough to take some knocks.
Materials : Strong metal casing. Metal fan blades. Metal stand with 3 small plastic tubular 'feet'.

SIZE :
Dinky !
Height : 150 mm - About the length of an average hand.
Width : 150 mm - About the length of an average hand.
Depth : 80 mm - About half the length of an average hand.

CABLE LENGTH :
114 cm. ( 45 inches )

ON - OFF switch.

PLUG AND PLAY :
No software required.
Plug it into the USB socket on your PC or Laptop etc.
Flick the switch on the rear of the fan. That's it, cool air should flow !
( The fan uses 5 volts = the power of a USB socket )

WEIGHT :
Light enough to lift with one finger.

EFFECTIVENESS :
Optimal distance = 30 cm ( 1 foot ) from your face.
Reasonable effectiveness = 60 cm ( 2 feet ) from your face.
Even at distances greater than 60 cm you still get some kind of mild 'breeze'.

ADJUSTABLE :
Easily tilted on the swivel supports.

NOISE :
Generates a slight whine ; like a circling mosquito.
If you work with machinery or office equipment such as computers, phones and printers etc, you might not notice this whine. If you've got a Boss who whines all day, then you definitely wont notice the slight noise the fan makes.
The noise is present whether it's on wood ( eg a desk ) or a carpet or a chair.
If you place it on a hollow desk the noise might be exaggerated i.e. it might sound louder or possibly even rumble due to vibration.
With many fans, unwanted noise is created by warped or badly secured casing. Or by bent or squint blades.
The slight noise from this fan comes from the motor, not the casing or the blades.

WILL IT DANCE A JIG AROUND YOUR DESK ? :
No. It's well behaved and knows it's place. Its basic design, combined with the plastic tubular 'feet', mean it remains exactly where you plonked it.

PROGRESS REPORT :
If it becomes faulty or fails within one year, ( of June 2014 ) I'll update this review.

ANNUAL PROGRESS REPORT :
22.06.15.
The fan has now been in fairly regular use for one year.
Glad to report that it's working as good as ever.

Hope that helps.
on 8 August 2014
You're not going to get the torrent that you get from a full-size fan obviously, but this is still very effective for its neat little size! Measuring just under 7 inches / 18cm high on its stand, it just plugs into your USB port and whirrs away happily all day. I've got mine plugged into my laptop and standing on a glass table and it stays firmly in place. The USB lead is just over a meter long.

At first I thought, hmmm it's not that powerful, is it really doing much... but when I switched it off the warmth in the room hit me and I realised the fan had actually been doing a pretty good job!

The noise it makes is a little louder than that of a computer fan. I can't say it bothers me too much once I'm absorbed in what I'm doing.

You can tilt it (you'll first need to loosen the screws on each side) and there's an on/off switch on the back but no speed settings.

The pastel pink matches my laptop too, so that's me happy!

Only thing I can't comment on is longevity as I've only had it for 3 days.
on 8 April 2014
I bought this on a whim last week when we had a random day of incredible heat and was frustrated with wafting myself with a notepad at my desk at work.

After reading reviews I splashed out on this one (many people have said the cheaper plastic ones aren't as great) and really glad I did.

This arrived a few days later very well packaged. It is neat and gorgeous (I've had a lot of comments on how pretty the purple colour is - it even matches my tissue box and hand cream) and works surprisingly well for such a wee product.

Can't wait for another fluke heatwave so I can test it out properly!
on 10 June 2017
Good value for money
on 15 August 2014
Love this! Makes life in stuffy offices way more tolerable. I have a portable USB recharger as well, so I use this on public transport too. You get some funny looks, but it helps to keep you cool!
on 26 June 2017
Great little fan! Exactly what I needed in our hot office during the summer months! Excellent and speedy service! Thank you!
on 21 February 2015
Fan works well however the blue is a very light sky blue not the dark blue colour in the picture.
on 17 July 2013
It is more robust than the plastic fans and i feel it gives our more air.
you can tilt it for the best results too

great for the office
on 2 November 2013
After previously having 3 cheaper desk fans that all died within a few months, this sturdy product is perfect for my office desk. Lovely and quiet, nice and powerful...what more do you need? Can highly recommend!
on 16 August 2014
A great little fan, that works so well, moving a good amount of air for it's size