Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Making Money (Discworld Novels) forum

discworld characters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Aug 2007 16:45:24 BDT
I tend towards Granny Weatherwax,what about other readers

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2007 17:59:42 BDT
Su says:
That's a hard one ... it changes every time I re-read a book I change ... however overall I'd have to say "you bastard" the camel always makes me smile "cud cud cud"!

Yet I have to agree with you I do think a lot of Granny Weatherwax - I think I'd trust her when I'm ill

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2007 12:39:59 BDT
I agree - I think it's his most striking character!
But I have a soft spot for Nanny Ogg - I'd love to be like her when I'm old.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2007 01:21:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Sep 2007 01:22:39 BDT
Glenn Cook says:
But would you like to like she was when she was young I wonder!!! My fave was Carrot but then Sam Vimes eclipsed him but for laugh out louad it's Moist Von Lipwig from Going Postal and soon to be in the new one! Making Money.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2007 11:20:05 BDT
Vimes and Vetinari, not just for the humour but the relationship that has developed between the two of them makes for some brilliant stories - most apparent in THUD!

Granny is up there too, as is Death - hell I love them all lol - Moist Von Lipwig was a work of genius :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2007 15:48:44 BDT
well i couldn't agree more love them all even gaspode and i admit to a soft spot for susan aah

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2007 19:22:12 BDT
Death closely folowed by Granny then Sam

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2007 11:07:21 BDT
N. Flint says:
I Personally think Moist and Vimes are my favourites, closely followed by Vetinari, but i think im the only reader than dislikes the book Eric and the character Rincewind.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2007 23:39:07 BDT
Esme says:
Love most central characters and even supporting ones too. But Rincewind winds me up!!! Fave in order Granny,(I practice headology - comes in handy being a teacher!! ) Vimes, Vetinari.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2007 13:22:52 BDT
i'm with you rincewind is a no no with me

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2007 20:14:09 BDT
I like Rincewind, he's not my fave, but I love it that he's such a coward. I think Twoflower is a great character, but despite having a great love for Granny Weatherwax and Death, I think Vimes just manages to beat them all.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2007 04:07:23 BDT
I love Igor. esp. the one in Carpe Jugulum. Captain Carrot close second. Death and Susan follow neck-and-neck. then Foul Ole Ron and Duck Man. hehehehe

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2007 09:59:31 BDT
Love Granny, but with the growth of the Lancre coven it's hard to see how a coherent book could be added to the witches story arc.
Rincewind is a bit bland of himself but is a wonderful in to the oddities of academia, Ridcully in particular tickles my funny bone
The Night Watch was a brilliant way to examine the practicalities of a city with legitimate theft and assassination as well as introducing Vimes and Carrot two hilarious characters it allowed for a more in-depth look at Vetenari which has been /instructive/.
The new story arcs though, getting in to the more prosaic aspects of government offers less in the way of justifiable oddities. What after Raising Taxes ? An examination of the Dept. of Agriculture and the great catterpillar out break on the Sto-Latt plain? I feel the series is in danger of loosing it's fantastic elements entirely and becoming a manual for the establishment of modern western government in a fuedal medieval society, not that there aren't parts of the world that could do with such a manual.

Rant over :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2007 18:10:18 BDT
S Marren says:
Favourite character must be Sam Vimes. Whatever happens you just hope that he comes through the story (blooded but unbowed).

Sonya

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2007 19:12:54 BDT
marky77 says:
I havnt read many of the books but like Nanny Ogg. Would like to see her played by Dawn French in a movie :).

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2007 22:04:28 BDT
Mrs. T. Sims says:
death followed by susan whos so cool then vimes

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2007 16:41:23 BDT
marky77 says:
I think Igor ith one of the betht, too.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2007 13:18:00 GMT
C. Castle says:
Definitely Sam Vimes! I think DEATH would have to be my next favourite though :)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2008 03:07:29 GMT
K. Parker says:
The Luggage!!! I wasnt particularly bothered about Rincewind but The Luggage is a legend! Death is awesome too!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2008 16:52:45 GMT
Pookie says:
Dawn French would be very good as Nanny Ogg, but I think that Miriam Margolies would probably be marginally better for "cackle-value". I think Julia Swahalia (Ab Fab's Saffie) would do very well for Magrat, but for Granny Weatherwax, I can't see that anyone would be able to beat Dame Maggie Smith...

Posted on 10 Nov 2009 21:07:59 GMT
D. A. Luff says:
the luggage and librarian are in a class of their own! greebo's pretty cool too :-)

Posted on 6 Apr 2010 16:44:38 BDT
reading fool says:
The librarian is cool, or as cool as a vicious mon...i mean orangutan can be.

Shouts out also for for Detritus, Vetinari and Ridicully.

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 20:23:26 BDT
Chris says:
i love Gaspode The Wonder Dog with his amusingly inside-out ear and his licky end. also I thought Miss Treason was a terrific character, even though I love Granny's withering cynicism. Leonard of Quirm is a favourite. thought what's his -ing name from The Truth was hilarious, "brings a -ing tear to the eye". i also enjoy the relationship between Vimes and Vetinari. the bit where they're discussing a possible person to run the watch while Vimes is away... an image of Nobby Nobbs rose up between them... ha ha. also love the idea of the Igors.
and what's most great about Pratchett is that he can get his reader to feel things for luggage and walking flower pots that most authors can't do with humans.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  30 Aug 2007
Latest post:  4 Sep 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - Oct. 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars (229)