Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

dan brown, need suggestions please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 May 2009, 12:34:44 BST
Je Tomblin says:
im not a massive fan of reading but i loved all the dan brown books, and they way they were written and filled with mystery etc. is there any suggestions for simmilar books that i may like. i just bought 'the final rekoning' by sam bourne cause i heard it was similar. any more suggestions?

cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2009, 20:18:56 BST
J. Hughes says:
I read as a way to relax and love this type of book! Why dont you try;-
Will Adams, The Alexander Cipher
Kate Mosse, Labyrinth , Sepulchre
Sam Bourne, Last Testament
The Final Reckoning was also a really good read, so enjoy!!

Posted on 6 May 2009, 23:39:02 BST
Demo says:
If you like high octane, totally ludicrous plots, and plenty of fast paced, unbelievable action I suggest you try Matthew Reilly's books, from Ice Station onwards.

Posted on 18 May 2009, 21:10:06 BST
Sarah Neale says:
I thought the Shakespeare Secret by J L Carrell was also really good and along this vein...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2009, 21:14:36 BST
nic says:
The Templar Legacy, The Alexandria Link, The Venetian Betrayal.
All by Steve Berry

Posted on 26 May 2009, 14:12:22 BST
From Michael White: the Medici secret
By Robyn Young: the Templars trilogy
The Religion by Tim Willocks
Books by Phillip vandenberg
The Rose labyrinth by Titania Hardie
Books by Andy McDermott
Books By Robert Goddard

Posted on 27 May 2009, 08:36:44 BST
Boos by Lynn Sholes are also nice to read (Dan Brown-ish)

Posted on 31 May 2009, 10:28:08 BST
M. Conabeer says:
The Last templar by Raymond Khoury is another excellent book along Dan Brown lines.

Posted on 2 Jun 2009, 12:54:00 BST
Sunglasses says:
Full Story Inside by Steve Horsfall has a similar pace to Dan Brown's books and some good historical intrigue thrown in.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2009, 11:10:00 BST
M. N. Deakin says:
I think you should try Atlantis, Crusader Gold and The Last Gospel by David Gibbins. I thoughtthey were really good and quite Dan Brown esq.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2009, 12:23:51 BST
PenMcC says:
Try the 'The First Apostle' by James Becker, it's quite similar in themes and pacing.

Posted on 20 Jun 2009, 19:16:02 BST
tallpete33 says:
I agree with M Conabeer about The Last Templar. I read the Righteous Men by Sam Bourne and it was terrible.

Posted on 23 Jun 2009, 20:31:34 BST
Amy Kelly says:
All of Chris Kuzneski's books are amazing and very Dn Brownish

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2009, 13:32:55 BST
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2009, 13:33:28 BST
FrazBear says:
Good shout, Amy!
Also agree with tallpete about Sam Bourne - non too impressed.

Posted on 11 Jul 2009, 14:47:23 BST
StevievB says:
Robyn Young if you like the knightsof the temple Elsy x x

Posted on 17 Jul 2009, 12:15:16 BST
Je Tomblin says:
thank you everyone for your suggestions will be trying a few out for my hollidays

Posted on 18 Jul 2009, 22:55:44 BST
Philip Pulman's His Dark Materials are amazing and easy to read if you don't read much. also have that hooked feeling you get with Dan Brown

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2009, 08:12:37 BST
Recommend "The Dumas Club" by Arturo Perez Reverte. Much more intelligent than Dan Brown or his imitators.

Posted on 5 Aug 2009, 16:42:09 BST
K. Reffell says:
You should try Simon Kernick's books, they are always a good thrilling read

Posted on 10 Aug 2009, 16:07:50 BST
Anything by Harlan Coben, Lee Child, Dean koontz, Lisa gardner

Posted on 14 Aug 2009, 17:51:23 BST
Mark Mewell says:
Anything by any old hack writer will do just as well as Dan Brown. COuld hardly do worse...

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2009, 10:31:03 BST
M. Forrest says:
Could try "The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason - story based on decoding an ancient book.

Posted on 1 Sep 2009, 09:51:54 BST
If you have an interest in the historical origins and inspiration for this genre, you could try my own non-fiction contribution.
In the Beginning: Building the Temple of Zion

Posted on 2 Sep 2009, 20:05:07 BST
That Book !!!!!

In 1992 a book came out called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", a book using very tenuous links to attempt to point to a conclusion. But a documentary theory.
Along comes Dan Brown and reads this book !!! I know, i will turn this into a thriller fiction.
That book becomes a best seller. Mr brown panics, what do i do now ? result 3 more books of rubbish that no self respecting author would recommend. OOPs along comes Ron Howard, movie, more dosh.
Ahh !! how do i follow that, now what ? Fast forward 6 years, Pre-order the new Dan Brown novel for £XXX. Best seller before anyone has read it !!
Andy Warhol said "15 minuets of fame", another (can't remember who) "we all have one book in all of us".
Dan Brown's had his, albeight on the coat tails of others. I am so angry that an under average author can make a fortune, at the obvious expense of new excellent writers who can't get publishing deals.
History will remember Dan Brown as a very lucky one hit wonder. Available at all international airports.
A no brain needed holiday beach read.
End of rant.

Posted on 11 Sep 2009, 11:18:00 BST
Julia Flyte says:
I agree with the recommendation above of The Alexander Cipher by Will Adams. Also Allan Folsom's books are similar in style although less clever in the way they integrate real-life mysteries.

A totally different kind of book (not a thriller), but very readable and interesting in the way it combines historical events with a mystery is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  5 May 2009
Latest post:  7 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon) by Dan Brown (Hardcover - 15 Sept. 2009)
3.6 out of 5 stars (1,697)