Evidence: The Complete Fame Records Masters Import
|Price:||£17.44 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
* Candi Staton's recording's for Fame Records are some of the most essential moments in Southern Soul's history. For the first time ever all 48 of the tracks she made for Rick Hall's label between 1969 and 1974 are together in one place. 22 have never been on CD before and 12 are previously unreleased.
* This collection contains 12 R&B chart hits, four of which went Top 10, including her peerless version of Tammy Wynette's `Stand By Your Man'. Kent have also included every track from her three albums released on Fame.
* This is the first time that Candi's Fame recordings have been reissued by anyone with access to the Fame Studios tape archive. This allows Kent to present everything in stunning sound as well as the previously unreleased tracks which are all of a high quality. In the ballad `We Had It All' and the dancer `One More Hurt' Kent are introducing new classics to her canon, some of which she will be incorporating into the set she will perform on her upcoming European tour.
* The booklet has an extensive note based on exclusive interviews with Candi and producer Rick Hall as well as many of the musicians involved. Access to Fame's own photo archive means that Kent are able to include many wonderful and previously unseen photos of Candi.
Top customer reviews
Now that superb compilation has been trumped by this wonderful set, featuring all of Candi's standout recordings with Rick Hall in the late 60's/early 70's. Amazingly some of this material hasn't been released before, which you will find hard to comprehend given the quality.
Southern Soul music really doesn't get much better than this and anyone with a love of this style will want to add this to their collection.
The music is a sublime confection of great songs, brilliant musicianship, masterful production and, of course, vocals of the very highest order.
From a true fan -
I don't know how effective a verbal picture that is, but in an ideal world that music would be what's on these two discs, because it's frightening.....in the best way. There are forty eight tracks across these two discs and the old `all killers, no filler' chestnut applies, for once. The perennially deluded Mick Hucknell covers "That's How Strong my Love Is" on his current album, which only goes to show he should stick to growing grapes. Staton's reading of the song kills his from the moment she sings `If I were....' which as it happens is but a percentage of the first line of the lyric.
The birds must be real wilful for Staton not to sing them out from the trees on "Mr and Mrs Untrue" where she takes hold of the lyric from the first line and the horns and strings carry her all the way. Hell, I'm going to have to start a new paragraph; the goose bumps are getting too much for this one.
One Elvis Presley did a heartfelt reading of "In the Ghetto" but Staton trumps it. Every word is clearly enunciated so the pathos of the lyric -something which the likes of both Hucknell and Joss Stone would either mangle or simply fail to get- sparkles. The resulting verbal picture is far more vivid than anything this writer could convey.
"Are You Just Building Me Up?" wasn't even released until 2011, by this writer's reckoning some 38 years after it was waxed. Why the delay? As with everything here it's a gem, cut in this case in 3:28 and just one of the 48 reasons for buying this set, which I suggest you do even before you've finished reading this sentence. You know it makes sense.
Great album from the folks at ACE.
Had to purchase it straight away, the first disc is being sent to my son who's a dj who might even do a mix of a few songs.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category