- Actors: Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, Whoopi Goldberg, Jonathan Taylor Thomas
- Directors: Rob Minkoff, Roger Allers
- Writers: Andy Gaskill, Barry Johnson, Bob Tzudiker, Brenda Chapman, Burny Mattinson
- Format: Animated, PAL, Special Edition, Subtitled, Surround Sound
- Language: English
- Subtitles: English, Hebrew
- Subtitles For The Hearing Impaired: English
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 - 1.66:1
- Number of discs: 2
- Studio: Disney
- DVD Release Date: 31 Oct. 2003
- Run Time: 85 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 1,281 customer reviews
- ASIN: B0000AOWLW
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 10,535 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
Other Sellers on Amazon
The Lion King [2 Disc Special Edition]  [DVD]
|Additional DVD options||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service Amazon offers sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's warehouses, and Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service on these items. Something Amazon hopes you'll especially enjoy: FBA items are eligible for and for Amazon Prime just as if they were Amazon items.
If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfilment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about this programme .
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Two discs containing the following:
- Two versions of the film:
Special Edition w/ The Morning Report
- Disneys Enhanced Home Theater Mix a special 5.1 surround sound mix created specially for the DVD
- Audio Commentary with Don Hahn, Roger Allers, and Rob Menkoff.
- Grasslands (Zazu)
- Making of The Morning Report: a look behind the scenes of animating the new sequence and adding it into the feature
- Lion King Personality Profile Game: find out which Lion King character you share the most in common with
- Tree Of Life (Rafiki)
- "Circle Of Life" Music Video performed by Disney Channels Circle Of Stars, including Hillary Duff, Raven Simone, Christy Romano, Orlando Jones, and more.
- Sing-Along Track - sing along to your favorite songs, the words pop up on screen.
- Disc Two Preview: Get a snapshot of the contents on disc two, including the Virtual Safari, and the various journeys.
- Jungle (Timon & Pumbaa)
Timons Grab-A-Grub: Help Timon gather grubs for lunch. The faster you go the more points you get. Play alone or play against someone in the two player mode.
Pumbaas Sound Sensations: This animal matching sound game was created in 5.1 surround sound to showoff your home theater system.
- Elephant Graveyard (Bonzai)
- Abandoned concepts & deleted scenes; including Bug Football, Hakuna Matata (Timons Verse) and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" sung by Timon & Pumbaa
- Timon & Pumbaas Virtual Safari: A cross between The Jungle Cruise and Indiana Jones this is one ride you dont want to miss. Whether you choose to go by boat or by jeep with 5.1 surround sound and 15 minutes of all new animation you wont be disappointed
- Story Journey - Learn where the story of The Lion King came from.
The Script Comes To Life
- Film Journey - Go behind-the-scenes of making the film. Features Don Hahn, Roger Allers, Rob Menkoff,
Production Research Trip
Art: African Influence
- Stage Journey - See how the film became a hit Broadway musical. Features Tom Schumacher, Peter Schneider and Julie Taymor.
- Musical Origins
Screen To Stage
Setting The Stage
Movement & Performance
Leaps Of Fantasy
- Music Journey - Hear the amazing story of how the award winning music came to be. Features Elton John, Tim Rice, Hans Zimmer, and Lebo M.
An Audio Sequel
- Animal Journey - Roy Disney introduces us to Disneys long standing relationship with animals.
Disney & Animals
- Non-journey Elements
- Original "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" Music Video w/ Elton John
- Original "Circle Of Life" Music Video w/ Elton John
- Production Design
- Character Design including Mufasa, Simba, Scar, Rafiki, Timon & Pumbaa, Zazu, and the Hyenas
- Computer Animation
- Multi-Language Clip Reel
- 16 International sequences
- Storyboard to Film Comparison
- Animal Kingdom
- Animal Kingdom Lodge
- International Release
- DVD Sound Design
- Early Concepts
- Galleries: Character Design, Visual Development, Stage Musical, Background Layer Assembly, EFX Animation, and more
Disney's 1994 animated feature, The Lion King, was a huge smash in cinemas and continues to enjoy life in an acclaimed stage production. The story finds a lion cub, son of a king, sent into exile after his father is deposed by a jealous uncle. The little hero finds his way into the "circle of life" with some new friends and eventually comes back to reclaim his proper place. Characters are very strong, vocal performances by the likes of Jeremy Irons, Nathan Lane and Whoopi Goldberg are terrific, the jokes are aimed as much (if not more) at adults than kids, the animation is sometimes breathtaking and the songs from Tim Rice and Elton John, accompanied by a colourful score, are more palatable than in many recent Disney features. --Tom Keogh
On the DVD: The Lion King Special Edition is a superb restoration: take a look at the serviceable but dull film clips incorporated in the plethora of extras and compare them to the vivid gorgeousness of the film presentation. This special edition also adds a 90-second song ("Morning Report") that originated in the lavish stage musical. To Disney's credit, the original theatrical version is also included, both restored and featuring two 5.1 soundtracks: Dolby Digital and a new Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, which does sound brighter. As with the Disney Platinum line, everything is thrown into the discs, except an outsider's voice (the rah-rahs of Disney grow tiresome at times). The excellent commentary from the directors and producer, originally on the laser disc, is hidden under the audio set-up menu.
The second disc is organised by 20-minute-ish "journeys" tackling the elements of story, music and so on, including good background on the awkward Shakespearean origins at Disney where it was referred as "Bamlet". The most interesting journey follows the landmark stage production, and the kids should be transfixed by shots of the real African wildlife in the animal journey. Three deleted segments are real curios, including an opening lyric for "Hakuna Matata". Most set-top DVD games are usually pretty thin (DVD-ROM is where it's at), but the Safari game is an exception--the kids should love the roaring animals (in 5.1 Surround, no less). One serious demerit is the needless and complicated second navigation system that is listed by continent but just shows the same features reordered. --Doug ThomasSee all Product description
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews