- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Phantom Major: The Story of David Stirling and the SAS Regiment Paperback – 18 Nov 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Virginia Cowles was an American war correspondent and historian. Her book about her own experiences as a journalist from 1936-42, Looking for Trouble, has recently been re-issued by Faber Finds. Her play, written with Martha Gellhorn, Love Goes to Press!, will have a revival on Broadway in 2011. Among her biographies are: Winston Churchill: The Era and the Man, The Astors: Story of a Transatlantic Family, The Romanovs, The Rothschilds: A Family of Fortune and Great Marlborough and His Duchess.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
I first read it shortly after it was published in 1958 but my original hard back issue was mislead.
Having read it again now after 50 years, it is as exciting as ever.
A true review of the birth of the SAS with an easy but compelling style of writing.
This is before the sensationalisation of special forces and demonstrates the hardship of desert campaigns without air cover or all the high tech gizmos that exist now.
The invention of the lewis bomb, the realisation of the impact of the jeep on ground targets are but 2 special moments in the book.
Get it and read it. If you like military history, this is an absolute must.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Africa > Libya
- Books > History > Africa > Northern
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain > 20th Century
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Special & Elite Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945