- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Find Your Way Home--Bestselling Sat NavsPlan ahead and avoid traffic jams with one of our bestselling sat navs from top brands including TomTom and Garmin. We also stock a great range of up-to-date and fully-routable maps for your device, including popular destinations such as France, Portugal, North America and Scotland.
- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
A New Social Atlas of Britain Hardcover – 31 Jul 1995
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
A New Social Atlas of Britain Daniel Dorling University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK This stunning and original atlas reveals in a totally new way the complex and unexpected geographical patterns of British society at the end of the twentieth century. Based on the 1991 census and other social data, Dan Dorling uses the powerful presentation of the population cartogram to display a completely fresh view of how Britains people work and live. The level of geographical detail revealed, drawn using local government wards, has never been attempted before in any map project. An introduction advises the reader on how to read the detailed maps and explains the necessity of using population cartograms which transform the shape of the country so that the patterns where most people live (in cities) are made visible nationally. Over 100 double–page spreads contain at least two maps made up from a mosaic of over 10000 areas each showing local as well as national distributions. Recurrent patterns can be seen to form between the geographies of different subjects as the social fabric of a nation is made visible. A New Social Atlas of Britain is essential reading for students and researchers in social studies, human geography, political studies and computer graphics, and also journalists and politicians, and all those interested in current affairs.
Top customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Family & Social Groups
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Population & Demography
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Historical Atlases & Maps
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Special Interests > Road & Car