- Hardcover: 1191 pages
- Publisher: OUP Oxford; Popular Text Ed edition (2 Nov. 1995)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0191070017
- ISBN-13: 978-0191070013
- Product Dimensions: 14.7 x 4.2 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (43 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 29,550 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
New Revised Standard Version Bible: Popular Text Edition with Apocrypha: New Revised Standard Version Bible (Anglicized) with Apocrypha (Bible Nrsv) Hardcover – 2 Nov 1995
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The NRSV is a modern translation, towards the literal, word-for-word end of the spectrum - though with one exception, which is that it tries very hard to be gender neutral. One might say it tries a bit too hard in this area, though personally it's not an issue I care about.
The NRSV has two main features that I find attractive:
1. It makes little or no effort to harmonise or "smooth-out" contradictions or problems.
2. It doesn't try to (mis)translate the Old Testament for the sake of being consistent with the interpretations of it made by the New Testament authors.
Depending on your point of view, these may seem like bad things rather than features. If you want a Bible made with a more "inerrantist" philosophy, I'd recommend the English Standard Version instead. But it's my belief that the NRSV does a good job of translating the original text without distortion.
The edition itself is well presented and clearly printed. While the page headers and the footnotes are useful and informative, a short introductory paragraph to each book such as is included in many other versions would be a useful addition.
I recommend this as a useful addition to anyone's bookshelf. Pity they use the american spelling of angicisi(z)e.
I WANTED TO FIND A BIBLE THAT WAS UP TO-DATE, AND WHICH OUR GRANDDAUGHTER WOULD HELP HER TO PREPARE FOR HER CONFIRMATION IN GERMANY.
I PERUSED SEVERAL BIBLES AND DISCUSSED THE CONTENTS WITH SEVERAL OF THE UK CLERGY BEFORE DECIDING ON THIS NRSV BIBLE.
HAPPILY, THE BISHOP IN GERMANY SIGNED THE BIBLE AT THE END OF THE SERVICE AND OUR GRANDDAUGHTER IS THRILLED WITH IT.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Brilliant ! -- just what I needed for my Confirmation in MayPublished 8 months ago by derek f smith
Very good! Full packed with reference. A well purchase item.Published 14 months ago by sylvestina simmons