- Feeling crafty? See our wide range of hobby tools to help make your projects shine.
Make: Rockets: Down-to-Earth Rocket Science Paperback – 22 Sep 2014
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Mike started programming on a PDP-8 using a teletype terminal. As the personal computer revolution got going he sold his car and rode a bike for several months to raise cash to buy an Apple II computer. He wanted to write a chess program but couldn't find a good assembler, so he took a summer off to write his own. Two years later he finished ORCA/M, which went on to become Apple Programmer's Workshop, the Apple-labeled development environment for the Apple IIGS.
Born the same year as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, Mike made the mistake of getting an education instead of getting rich. A slow learner, he graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1977 with a degree in Physics, earned an M.S. in Physics from the University of Denver, and was Working on a Ph.D. when he started making more money from his sideline software company than from the Air Force.
Since then Mike has developed numerous compilers and interpreters, software for mission-critical physics packages for military satellites, plasma physics simulations for Z-pinch experiments, multimedia authoring tools for grade schoolers, disease surveillance programs credited with saving lives of hurricane Katrina refugees, advanced military simulations that protect our nation's most critical assets, and technical computing software for iOS.
Mike currently runs the Byte Works, an independent software publishing and consulting firm. He is a PADI scuba instructor who lives in Albuquerque with his wife and cat, enjoying being an empty nester and spoiling his grandchildren.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Information Systems
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Home Schooling
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning
- Books > Home & Garden > Crafts > Models & Model-Making
- Books > Home & Garden > Crafts > Toys & Dolls
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Laboratory Techniques & Experiments
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace > Astronautics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Mechanical & Materials Engineering > Engines & Power Transmission
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Mechanics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Mechanical & Material Engineering
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Young Adult > Education & Reference
- Books > Young Adult > Science & Nature > Air & Space Science
- Books > Young Adult > Science & Nature > Experiments & Projects
- Books > Young Adult > Science & Nature > How Things Work