- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Guyana: Fragile Frontier Paperback – 18 Jun 1997
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Guyana's environment is in danger of wholesale destruction. In the name of economic liberalization, this small, indebted country is promoting a dramatic escalation of logging, mining and other forms of extraction. In the 1990s, millions of hectares of rainforest have been leased to foreign companies for logging, while gold mining is going through a new and devastating boom. The Omai gold mine disaster of August 1995 was dramatic evidence of the potential for catastrophe. At the centre of Guyana's ecological crisis stands the country's indigenous population, historically marginalized and now threatened by the invasion of loggers, miners and ranchers. Their claims to land titles have long been ignored, and the present government strategy is worsening their chances of survival. This book describes the onslaught on the country's environment and the forces - economic and political - behind it. Looking at the role of the IMF, World Bank and foreign companies, Marcus Colchester shows how structural adjustment has paved the way for extraction-based development.He demonstrates how internal politics and external economic interests have combined in forcing Guyana to cash in its resources for short-term gain. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
About the Author
Chloe Colchester is Research Associate and Research Fellow, The British Museum, Goldsmiths College and University College London.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Biographies & Histories > Business & Economic History
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > Economic Policy & Development
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics > International Economics > Development
- Books > History > Americas > South America > Guyana
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Natural Resources Management
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences