- Hardcover: 216 pages
- Publisher: Salma Editions (15 Mar. 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0956873839
- ISBN-13: 978-0956873835
- Product Dimensions: 20.3 x 2 x 27.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (14 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 19,423 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
An Excuse to Draw: Tommy Kane Sketches the World Hardcover – Illustrated, 15 Mar 2014
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
About the Author
Tommy Kane is a Creative Director in advertising who knows how to draw. In his free time, he travels the world equipped with pens, coloured pencils, a little watercolor set, some waterbrushes and a few different drawing books. He draws the world as he sees it in great detail. This is his first book.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
From the very first he describes how fear drove him to do what he has done so far in life, and how his art has saved him.
That is real stuff. Motivated by fear and going for it anyway.
When you make art because you have no other choice but to do it you are in a wonderful place. I like the way he works through adversity. He goes for it with a Uniball pen, watercolors and prismacolors. Mistakes happen. But he works it. Here is a guy willing to produce art without a safety net. He works so hard at it that even if 90% of his art turned out to be mediocre the other 10% would be stone cold masterpieces. In my opinion his masterpiece percentage is much higher than 10% already.
And anybody who liked Joe Pepitone knows what being a real Yankee fan in the 60's was all about!
One last thing...I noticed on the back of the book it said "to be continued". I hope there will be a volume 2.
Nice job Tommy. Thanks!
|Length: 1:42 Mins|
Tommy Kane has worked as a creative director in advertising for over 30 years. And he's an avid sketcher. I've been following his blog, sketches and adventures for quite a while now. It's great to see that he has finally released his sketches in book form.
An Excuse to Draw collects 8 years worth of sketches. The book's a 216-page hardcover. Many sketches are printed full page which enables you to read his notes. On selected pages, he also talk about his experiences while sketching abroad.
The sketches included are those he drew while traveling to different countries and cities. Morocco, Lebanon, Barcelona, Paris, Vienna, Prague, Beijing, Tokyo, Cambodia, Vietnam, Sydney, the different states in USA and more.
He has a nice style characterised by bold uniform ink lines and coloured by either watercolours or coloured pencils. He works with sketchbooks and also on larger paper.
The drawings are in detail and captures a scene from the places he has been to. I find it charming to go through the drawings, reading about his hand written notes about things that happen while he was sketching.
The introduction of the book is quite personal and moving. The foreword written by Michelangelo (yes that one, I thought he was dead too) is quite funny.
It's a wonderful book. One of my 2014 favourite artbooks. For the price of the book, you get this amount of work, I think it's terrific value.
(See more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
While there is no direct instruction, there is a lot to learn from just studying the work of this modern master.
This is a book that I will return to time and again and so I consider it to be well worth the money.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great visually and made me smile, laugh out loud even. Sharply observant, I really enjoy this book.Published 5 months ago by Hilary Jane Gibbons
Fantastic book. It's a treasure for budding urban artists. I love the narrative Tommy writes on many of his pages.Published 20 months ago by Roland Nissan
Lovingly rendered drawings of buildings and urban scenes from around the world by Tommy Kane. Style reminiscent of cartoonist Robert Crumb. Read morePublished 20 months ago by G. Whyman
One of my favourite books! The drawings are incredible. I love how there is text in the drawings too. Read morePublished 23 months ago by Amazon Customer
Beautiful line drawings in pen, some coloured, some just as they are, showing Tommy Kane's journey round the world. Read morePublished on 28 April 2015 by A. Reader
Could have reached me much quicker. But as to the book itself I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tommy Kane!Published on 20 April 2015 by J A Ting