- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Find Your Way Home--Bestselling Sat NavsPlan ahead and avoid traffic jams with one of our bestselling sat navs from top brands including TomTom and Garmin. We also stock a great range of up-to-date and fully-routable maps for your device, including popular destinations such as France, Portugal, North America and Scotland.
- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Elementary Surveying: An Introduction to Geomatics Hardcover – 8 Jun 2001
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Elementary Surveying has been the best selling surveying text for many years. The authors continue to focus on the text's readability and clear presentation of basic concepts and practical material in each of the areas fundamental to the practice of surveying (geomatics). Although the book is elementary, its depth and breadth have made it suitable for self study, and for use as a reference by those engaged in the practice of surveying and its related disciplines such as civil engineering, forestry, geography, geology, landscape architecture, and others. As with past editions, this text continues to emphasize the presence of errors in surveying, while practical suggestions resulting from the authors' many years of experience are interjected throughout the book.
This tenth edition of Elementary Surveying (An Introduction to Geomatics) has been substantially updated and modified to reflect the rapidly changing nature of surveying (geomatics). Many additions and changes have been made to keep this the most up-to-date textbook available in surveying.
New to the tenth edition:
- Expansion of GPS coverage into two chapters.
- Contains an in-depth treatment of the subject in both the theory of GPS and field and office procedures in GPS.
- Relevant website links given throughout the book.
- Enables students to self-explore topics discussed in the book and obtain the latest material on surveying standards.
- New Wolfpack CD included with the book.
- Contains computer programs for solving the different types of surveying problems, and includes help files as well as sample data files.
- Modernized discussions and graphics.
- Describes the new instruments currently being used in industry, introductory geodetic calculations, coordinate geometry, new state plane coordinate computation procedures, etc.
- Every chapter contains a new set of problems, and a revised and updated bibliography.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This book was an essential refference during my study at university and is still used in my professional carrer.
From the first page you will be learning varrious ellements of surveying. The explination of fundumental elements of surveying methods and the changes to surveying caused by technology are explained at the start to give a foundation from which to work from. The different types of surveying is explained in good detail covering the concepts of bearings, angle measurement and lots of others. The covering of work related area's and problems are discussed and covered. This includes curves and roads, mapping and photogrammetry along with sections relating to area and volume determination.
There is numerous pictures, illustrations and diagrams used to show the equipment and show the concepts covered.
If I was starting my education in surveying or wishing to have a good refference then this should be reccomended as a text worth holding in your library.
I was the supervisor of numerous college kids just coming out of survey programs in NC State, or Wake Tech, and the poor guys didn't have a clue. They could tell me how to calculate various things on paper, but real world application they had no idea. This book would have been better off teaching more about the equipment and techniques used, instead of trying to do what it did.
It'd be like taking a class entitled "Introduction to Windows 7" and they spent 90% of the class trying to teach you to write/compile the computer code yourself.
This book needs massive amounts of editing. There are few examples of equations and concepts; of the few that are, about a third of them are incorrect in one form or another (either they refer back to the wrong data, they skip steps, simply get the math wrong...). This is infuriating. I would like to see many more logically worked out examples, if they can manage to get it straight themselves before printing. On chapter review questions, only a very few have answers in the appendix; these are simple answers, not worked out, and not surprisingly, often incorrect.
Also, this book seems to go out of it's way to explain concepts in the most complex manner possible. If it could choose between a ten word sentance an entry level engineering student or even layman could understand, or two paragraphs of engineering-ese, it'll choose the latter.
This book has potential to be very good, with development and editing. Just amazing that it's in it's eleventh printing, reads like a diassembled beta copy. AWFUL.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Cartography, Geodesy & Geographic Information Systems
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Building Construction & Materials
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Surveying
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Civil Engineering
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Special Interests > Road & Car