- Paperback: 176 pages
- Publisher: Open University Press; 1 edition (1 April 1997)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0335198554
- ISBN-13: 978-0335198559
- Product Dimensions: 15.7 x 1.2 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (25 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 101,584 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Dementia Reconsidered: The Person Comes First (UK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Health & Social Welfare) Paperback – 1 Apr 1997
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"There are many practical ideas for how carers can interact with people with dementia to make their life more enjoyable. In my opinion this book should be required reading for those who train carers...I believe enjoyment and satisfaction will be obtained by carers andcareworkers who study this book." - Alzheimer's Disease Society Newsletter "It has much to offer to all readers and provides and excellent summary and starting point to question our philosophies and practices in relation to dementia care." - Signpost "This is a very radical book; it could be calledrevolutionary...(it) is relevant to all professionals engaged in direct practice with people with dementia as well as policy makers, service planners, managers and resource holders...I believe that it will profoundly influence the development of dementia care in the years ahead." - Journal of Dementia Care "Kitwood's book is an eloquent reminder of the importance of relationship's in caring." - Mental Health Care "...essential reading for anyone working with people with dementia or those who care for them...Kitwood's book is a convincing demonstration that the effort is worthwhile for us all." - Reminiscence "This book sets out a view of dementia and dementia care that is at once simple and profound. The core theory is essentially social-psychological, but it is grounded in a clear moral stance on the value of each individual, and constant awareness of the neurological implications. Tom Kitwood has been highly influential in lifting the status of dementia carepractice to a fascinating speciality that is both art and science. The force of the ideas and the clarity of the writing make this book compelling reading." - Journal of Dementia Care "This book may come to be regarded as a landmark in dementia care." - The Journal of the British Association for service to the elderly "This book arrives with numerous advantages: it has the endorsement of noted authorities in the dementia field; Kitwoodhas 10 years' experience of writing on the subject; it contains a fewcartoons, poems and photos to soften the text; and it appears as partof the 'Re-thinking ageing' series, whose quality is already established. It is also very well produced." - Community Practitioner "For some years now, Tom Kitwood's work on dementia care has stood out as the most important, innovative and creative development in a field that has for too long been neglected. This book is alandmark in dementia care; it brings together, and elaborates on, Kitwood's theory of dementia and of person-centred care in an accessible fashion, that will make this an essential source for all working and researching in the field of dementia care." - Robert Woods, Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Wales "Over the last ten years or so Tom Kitwood has made a truly remarkable contribution to our understanding of dementia, and to raising expectations of what can be achieved with empathy and skill. This lucid accountof his thinking and work will communicate his approach to a yet wideraudience. It is to be warmly welcomed." - Mary Marshall, Director of the Dementia Services Development Centre, University of Stirling
About the Author
Tom Kitwood is currently the Leader of Bradford Dementia Group and Senior Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Bradford. He has worked with and for people with dementia for over ten years, and has a rich experience also in training related to dementia care. His many publications in this field are widely known.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book also looks at the way forward, how the author sees dementia care in the future and gives a comprehensive breakdown of the many ways this can be achieved. This book has proved invaluable in my profession - occupational therapist within Dementia care & assessment.
Kitwood considers the individual and advocates recognising the humanity of people with dementia and not just their illness.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great book if you want to learn more about dementia, especially about the positive dementia care. Well done Mr. Kitwood!Published 22 months ago by yrreJ & moT
Found this book mostly indigestible. Use of equations was very off putting when I was looking for more of a practical manual on how to deal with a dementia patient. Read morePublished on 11 Sept. 2014 by Style conscious guy
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Geriatrics
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Elderly Care
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Public Health & Preventive Medicine