Other Sellers on Amazon
& FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20.00. Details
+ FREE UK delivery
+ £2.30 UK delivery
OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
|You Save:||£2.01 (17%)|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
- Creates even slices that can adjust for slices in three levels of thickness
- Clear surface shows slices below
- Slice on cutting board or plate or hook over a bowl
- Food holder protects hands and covers blades when not in use
- Non-slip handle and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Making cucumber salad, an apple tart or a potato gratin, try the OXO Good Grips Hand-Held Mandoline. Use the soft knob to simply adjust to the desired slice thickness, and slide the food over the stainless steel blade for even slices. A clear surface shows slices accumulating below. Slice on a cutting board or plate, or hook the soft foot over a bowl. A food holder protects hands and covers the blade when not in use.
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 3:57 Mins|
THINGS THAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MANDOLIN SLICER:
* The safety guide - this was one of the key things that made me decide to purchase this model
* The large chunky handle on the guide - as I am getting older my hands are not as able to grip things as they used to be. I find that this handle is comfortable to hold even when exerting pressure onto the item that you are slicing
* The safety blade position - this means that I can store my mandolin in my tools drawer and not worry about cutting my fingers
* The three different cutting positions. These are great as I am able to slice things almost paper thin on the lowest setting up to a decent sized slice for potato dauphinoise.
* The blade is extremely sharp which results in a very neat, clean cut
* There is hardly any wastage left after slicing
* It is easy to clean, just swill it in hot soapy water
THINGS THAT I WASN'T SO KEEN ON:
* Due to the height of the item you are slicing the guide can't be slotted onto the mandolin at the outset. It only gets close to the edges of the mandolin after you have almost completed your slicing. Because of this I have found that I can end up slicing in all directions as my hand and the guide move around.
* The spiky grips in the handle don't 'spear' the item you are holding as well as they could and it can come loose whilst being sliced.
MY OVERALL CONCLUSION:
This has been a great addition to my collection of kitchen gadgets. The blade is sharp enough to produce excellent and consistently good results. I find it comfortable to use and I particularly like the safety hand guide. I would happily recommend this to anyone who is looking to purchase a mandolin for home use.
I was recently shown a mandoline injury, and it wasn't pretty.
However, given that to produce fine slices you must have a lethal, razor sharp blade, I think OXO have managed the difficult juggle of effective slicing and safety extremely well.
Holding the thing to be sliced directly seems to be asking for unintended finger tips and knuckle edges to become an unexpected part of your dish, along with a plentiful supply of blood as a basis for stocks and sauces.
Oxo solve this with the cover/knob/object holder which fulfils all these functions - little plastic teeth on the underside which prong your item and you then hold the handle and whizz away backwards and forwards, thinly slicing.
Yes of course some items might be harder to achieve this with, (harder vegetables which might be more resistant to the plastic prongs) and resorting to a processor the best option, but for everyday small amounts of thin slicing this is a quicker option.
Oxo have built in a couple of extra safety features as well, the slice of the cutting aperture gives you 3 choices for varying thickness - but it also includes a no aperture/close option, which sheathes the lethal blade. An excellent feature if you need to throw this into the washing up bowl to be quickly cleaned before slicing something for a different dish later. And for double safety, the cover/knob combo is fitted over it.
And the other handle, the 'good grips' handle with which you hold the whole thing steady, is a comfortable grip and enables you to effectively swirl the mandoline, aperture open, for cleaning.Read more ›
In use it fits nicely on top of a bowl with the slots in the base gripping onto the bowl sides. I don't use the holder until the vegetable is down to about 3cm then I put the holder on for the last few slices. The holder grips onto the vegetable without any issue and I have not had it slip yet.
All in all I am very pleased with this and would recommend it.
Notch in the end sits nicely over a bowl to catch all your slices. Feels like a quality product.
There are a couple of tips, although the holder can be awkward to use, do use it as the blade is very sharp (Yes, do what I say, not what I did - ouch).
It stands proud for the first few slices, then slots on as the last slice goes through. The spikes hold easily if the vegetables aren't too tall.
I found it easier to cut carrots into 2 - 3 inch chunks and then slice two at a time on their side. Awkward to safely do round slices. Similar process with cucumber. Cut onions in half, and they are also safe and easy. Firm tomatoes were ok, but the last pieces, especially with softer ones, get a bit torn up by the spikes.
Do all the preparation first and it takes seconds to produce a pile of evenly sliced vegetables.
Only down side I really have, is that even the thick slices are quite thin.
Always goes in the dishwasher, and comes out great.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great product, with amazon quick delivery. Its very sharp though safe for washing and handling due to the lock slide button.Published 1 day ago by sshinde
Oh boy! I am now the Slicing Queen. I bought this because I was sick and tired of trying to slice potatoes thin enough to bake in the oven. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Christine Frost
Great price, works well, easy to use and very safe. Delighted. Have told my friends and several have also bought this item.Published 7 days ago by Amazon Customer
Sharp as f.... cut myself the first time i used it (as i typically would). Great product, the adjustable sizes make it good even for things like making crisps. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Ryan G
Good reasonably priced mandoline. I find I cannot use the top bit which is meant to protect your fingers most of the time as it does not fit most vegetables. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Anchor
Brilliant - takes up so little room compared to my previous one (& is sharper), & I like the locked out blade when not in use. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Westi
Excellent product, very sharp blade. The holder is much recommended if you want to avoid injuries!Published 12 days ago by Maurizio