- Enjoy £1.00 reward to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 reward per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Other Sellers on Amazon
You've Got Mail [DVD] 
|Additional DVD options||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
DVD Special Features
Commentary with Nora Ephron and Lauren Shuler-Donner
HBO First Look Special: A Conversation with Nora Ephron
Discover New York's Upper West Side (11 selectable clips)
2-Channel Music Only
Language in Dolby Digital 5.1: English
Subtitles: English/Arabic/English for the hearing impaired
By now, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan have amassed such a fund of goodwill with moviegoers that any new onscreen pairing brings nearly reflexive smiles. In You've Got Mail, the quintessential boy and girl next door repeat the tentative romantic crescendo that made Sleepless in Seattle, writer-director Nora Ephron's previous excursion with the duo, a massive hit. The prospective couple do actually meet face to face early on but Mail otherwise repeats the earlier feature's gentle, extended tease of saving its romantic resolution until the final, gauzy shot.
The underlying narrative is an even more old-fashioned romantic pas de deux that is casually hooked to a newfangled device. The script, cowritten by the director and her sister, Delia Ephron, updates and relocates the Ernst Lubitsch classic, The Shop Around the Corner, to contemporary Manhattan, where Joe Fox (Hanks) is a cheerfully rapacious merchant whose chain of book superstores is gobbling up smaller, more specialized shops such as the children's bookstore owned by Kathleen Kelly (Ryan). Their lives run in close parallel in the same idealized neighbourhood yet they first meet anonymously, online, where they gradually nurture a warm, even intimate correspondence. As they begin to wonder whether this e-mail flirtation might lead them to be soul mates, however, they meet and clash over their colliding business fortunes.
It's no small testament to the two stars that we wind up liking and caring about them despite the inevitable (and highly manipulative) arc of the plot. Although their chemistry transcended the consciously improbable romantic premise of Sleepless, enabling director Ephron to attain a kind of amorous soufflé, this time around there's a slow leak that considerably deflates the affair. Less credulous viewers will challenge Joe's logic in prolonging the concealment of his online identity from Kathleen, and may shake their heads at Ephron's reinvention of Manhattan as a spotless, sun-dappled wonderland where everybody lives in million-dollar apartments and colour co-ordinates their wardrobes for cocktail parties. --Sam SutherlandSee all Product description
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Ahh, such delight. I love bookshops but I miss the independents that are disappearing. I love Colletts and Dillons and Heffers and even Bookmarks.. But I've wandered off topic haven't I? Just like Joe Fox. Oh well.
1) Sent quickly from US - no custom charges seem to apply
2) Can't confirm about all regions - but certainly works on a UK blu ray player (not hacked or region free player)
3) One of the "special features" is a DVD of "The Shop Around The Corner" that the film is based around - it says on the DVD its region 1 but again seems to be region free as worked in 2 non hacked / not region free DVD players (I checked it in 2 as I couldn't believe it worked!)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The end of the film is still a long way from my perfect ending. The film is ok. I watch it with my mother. The plot is exciting. The actors performed very well. Read morePublished 4 days ago by Hugo
One of the most beautiful romances you will ever see, truly relatable characters, well executed humour and a wonderful plot. Watch this.Published 1 month ago by Alister Brown
Haven't watched a girly movie in a long time and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
Its one of they will they, wont they eventually get together. Read more