- Directors: Paul Crowder, John Dower
- Producers: John Battsek, Fisher Stevens, Timothy Williams
- Format: PAL
- Subtitles For The Hearing Impaired: English
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Number of discs: 1
- Classification: 15
- Studio: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
- DVD Release Date: 25 Sept. 2006
- Run Time: 92 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (11 customer reviews)
- ASIN: B000GJ0NUM
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 38,910 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
Once In A Lifetime [DVD]
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service Amazon offers sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's warehouses, and Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service on these items. Something Amazon hopes you'll especially enjoy: FBA items are eligible for and for Amazon Prime just as if they were Amazon items.
If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfilment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about this programme .
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Documentary telling the story of one of the greatest soccer teams America ever had. In the 1970s, the New York Cosmos became the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters, signing giants of the game such as Pele, Carlos Alberto and many more. Egos, impulses and cultures clashes created a larger than life atmosphere among both players and the club's executives with a fan base that included everyone from the worlds of fashion, music, art, politics and business. The Cosmos drew crowds of 80,000 fans and won several league championships with their eye-catching football. But as media attention snowballed, so did the star-status of the glamorous footballers who soon became notorious players on the legendary 1970s New York City party circuit at Studio 54. The dream could not be sustained, however, and the team imploded in the early 1980s. As ratings dropped, the US TV networks pulled their financing and the brief but glorious US love affair with the beautiful game was over.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Got a fright with the Cosmos goalie posing for scud books to earn extra cash before the big investment and then Pele arrived, so if you're watching in polite company be prepared to close your eyes at that bit. Great story on friendly vs (I think) Haiti, who all defect before the game, so the Cosmos win the final by a distance, playing against a scratch select who hadn't played together before.
Recommended as history. Easy to tak a high tone and mock it all, but they've qualified for more World Cups recently than Sccotland, so not a bad legacy.
Ironically, at the beginning of the 1978-79 English season the New York Cosmos came to London and played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Weird, given latter day comparisions that have been made. Pele has long fulfilled his contract with them so guess what? To boost interest the Cosmos recrruited a guest star player, none other than Johan Cruyff.
Was New York Cosmos football or showbiz?Read more ›
* How football, and footballers, and all their cronies and hangers on, were back in the pre Sky TV 70s
* Where Sky and Premier League got their ideas and inspiration from (New York Yankees were years ahead of their time from a marketing sense)
* Why US will never really make "soccer" their sport
Plus great visuals, funky soundtrack and one of the best individual goals I have ever seen, in terms of skill and context, by the great Carlos Alberto
Most Recent Customer Reviews
THE GREAT GOALSCORER PASSED AWAY IN 2012, BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE MICHAEL KEATON WILL HAVE HIS WORK CUT OUT!!!! Read morePublished on 8 April 2014 by Amazon Customer
Been looking for this DVD for some time so was delighted to locate a copy and even better when it arrived within 1 week.Excellent!Published on 12 Nov. 2011 by Martin